DS Download Station Ripping?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by TheDetour, Feb 20, 2019.

1. TheDetour
    OP

TheDetour Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2019
    Canada
    Hello there! I'll start off with a future apology If I ended up posting this thread in the wrong area. I have been scraping through the Internet to find out about some stuff related to the DS Download Station roms and the one place I could find that had any sort of knowledge about it was here. To get to the point here, I've noticed many found ways to put ROMs and homebrew onto DS Download Station roms, but has anyone figured out a method to emulate the demos themselves and to be more specific dumped the demos themselves? If anyone could fill me in on such would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by TheDetour, Feb 20, 2019
  2. krabscode

krabscode Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2019
    United States
    People have already dumped the demos from DS Download Station and thrown them on the internet. As for retrieving them, you will have to resort to Google searching them. You can find a few of them though on the HiddenPalace Wiki.

Not sure what you mean by that, if you mean running the demos on a different DS system, I think it uses NitroFS to do that but what happens is it sends a .srl (the official file type) or .nds to the RAM on the client DS and pretty much loads the game from there. However, any DS ROMs over 2MiB cannot be downloaded as it exceeds the maximum limit of files that can be sent. Hope this sheds some light on how it works.

3. TheDetour
    OP

TheDetour Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2019
    Canada
    Like I wanted to know If there Is a method to rip the DS Download Station demos and then emulate them on stuff like DeSmume. If I had to go in specifics, I'm trying to find away to rip a specific demo and look through it's contents because I want to see If there is any unused content inside the demo.

4. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2018
    United States
  5. TheDetour
    OP

TheDetour Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2019
    Canada
    I don't own any of the carts sadly but I do have all of the DS Download Station ROMs. What I am trying to figure is a way to access the demos that the other DS has to connect to. The ROMs themselves are just the Download Stations looking for a console to connect to. My main goal is to be able to rip the demos the Download Stations contain and possibly turn these demos into .nds files. If you or someone else have any knowledge on how I or someone else could do something of that nature would be a really big help. The Download Station I want to rip the demos from in specific is Vol. 6 for reference and context.

6. krabscode

krabscode Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2019
    United States
    All I would know is you'd have to unpack the rom and then decompress arm9.bin. What you do from there I wouldn't know. I'm only able to get as far as getting files such as getting files like rom0000d.

I'll list the tools I used to get those files when I'm on my NUC

7. TheDetour
    OP

TheDetour Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2019
    Canada
    Hopefully such tools will work. Though I assume by your wording you yourself haven't succeeded in playing and or accessing the demos?

8. krabscode

krabscode Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2019
    United States
    Last edited by krabscode, Feb 21, 2019
  9. TheDetour
    OP

TheDetour Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2019
    Canada
    I'm unsure what I'm supposed to with this ndsloader.bin. Like what and where do I put this in what emulator?

10. krabscode

krabscode Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2019
    United States
    NDSLOADER.BIN does not go in an emulator. It is a boot file required for the DS to load the ROM. Don't worry about it right now, just keep it stored somewhere on your PC where you can access it later.

Basically, you would run copy /b on Windows to inject the file into the ROM, assuming you are using Windows.

Last edited by krabscode, Feb 21, 2019
  11. TheDetour
    OP

TheDetour Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2019
    Canada
    Alrighty. I assume I'll be hearing back from you later on as well?

12. krabscode

krabscode Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2019
    United States
    You bet

13. krabscode

krabscode Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2019
    United States
    Alright I'm on my Intel NUC.

dsbuff.

I used this app called 'DSBUFF' which will unpack the files for you (as you can see I unpacked Volume 1). I recommend you unpack the files into a new folder (the program can't create a folder for some reason so you'll have to manually add that).

After unpacking the ROM, you should get something like:

Files

You only need the game files unless you want movies too.

The only other way to get these ROMs is to use an 802.11g wlan card from a list of supported cards but that is way more complicated than doing this. If I figure out how to get the games working after that I'll let you know.

As for DSBUFF: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1214/

14. TheDetour
    OP

TheDetour Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2019
    Canada
    This software could come in handy but the demos are not ROMs. They're just files. There is no way to play them.

15. TheDetour
    OP

TheDetour Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2019
    Canada
    If you have anything else to talk about, it would be greatly appreciated but if not, thank you very much regardless!

16. krabscode

krabscode Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2019
    United States
    I'm back. So yesterday I told you about DSBuff and how it extracts those tools. After doing some digging around the internet, I found this tool:

This tool should be used with those files extracted by DSBuff.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016032...oders.com/NDS_Projects/DS_Demo_Decompress.zip

Unfortunately alot of stuff just randomly disappears from the internet and I don't understand why, but that's mainly the reason why most of my links are from the wayback machine.

Anyway just extract the contents of the zip, move the zip to data\ds_demo, and drag all the files onto DS_Demo_Decompress.exe. It'll create a .NDS that can be used anywhere, on HaxxStation, on WifiMe, on Emulators, on Flash Cards, etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited by krabscode, Feb 23, 2019
  17. krabscode

krabscode Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2019
    United States
    If you have any more questions about DS Download Station, feel free to speak your mind.

Btw, forgot to mention in the last post but after volume 1 the files are found in stats instead of ds_demo.

Last edited by krabscode, Feb 23, 2019
  18. megaman9521

megaman9521 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2019
    United States
    Excuse me, I followed these steps, but there's one demo that is not working properly, the one for Mario Vs. Donkey Kong Mini Land Mayhem. It will run in an emulator, but not on a flashcard. Can you help me with that?

19. krabscode

krabscode Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2019
    United States
    Which DS Demo Station Volume is that one from?

20. megaman9521

megaman9521 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2019
    United States
    Volumes 18 and 19.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted