DS Download Play no longer working...

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by _Truth_, Jan 15, 2011.

Jan 15, 2011
  1. _Truth_
    OP

Newcomer _Truth_ Newbie

United States
    I am almost afraid to ask this, as I am new and I don't want to piss anyone off... [​IMG]

Is anyone else having an issue with download play after 1.8.5 AKAIO update?

As of 1.8.1 I had no problems whatsoever... Acekard2i with black pcb....

All patch settings set to off, except download play. Tested on several games... Tested it again with actual game cartridges and worked fine. Backed my version up to 1.8.1 and game menu keeps freezing... I am not a complete noob ( well at least I would like to think so)

Simply getting frustrated and looking for fresh ideas.... Thanks in advance.

2. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Which games aren't working and are they clean roms?

3. _Truth_
    OP

Newcomer _Truth_ Newbie

United States
    [​IMG]
    Woah. Hi there.

I tried both Clubhouse Games and Mario Party, and to my knowledge, both are clean roms. I have also tried reformatting the card with SD Formatter, and clean installing 1.8.5 clean.

Tried in 1.8.5a as well, and no luck. Games load and play fine, and Wifi works too. Its only download play.

Even tried different combos of default download play on, and just game setting dl play on / default off. No luck no matter what I do.

4. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    If you're unsure of the state of the ROM, check the CRC32 of the ROM at the AdvanScene Database and compare the CRC32 of your ROM with this.

Try getting clean ROMs whenever possible.

5. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    1.8.5 fixed that? Huh, I thought it was a forever problem because of the hardware of the Acekard. Ala you couldn't have AAP on and Download play...

6. Normmatt

New Zealand
    Both of those games seems to be working fine for me on the latest loaders. Try updating to the loaders from http://akaio.net/loaders maybe it will fix your problem.

7. _Truth_
    OP

Newcomer _Truth_ Newbie

United States
    Well I don't want to push my luck so I am just gonna go back to 1.8.1 and see how that works out for me. I really appreciate the help and advice, Norm. Same goes for everyone else. I did download that loader at around noon today and use it with both 1.8.5, and a.

The Mario Party I have is clean, and the Clubhouse Games is 1.01 [5174]. I had no problems with download play on 1.8.1, though after going back to it briefly earlier today, my menu would occasionally freeze. I can still download play, if I am the recipient, so in the end it's not that big of a deal. I was mainly just curious if I was doing something wrong.

All the same, thanks for the help. I am probably just a bigger noob than I thought [​IMG]

EDIT:

Okay so after some extra testing, I am unable to Download play as the recipient as well... and my Mario Party is clean. WiFi and multicart work fine though. Thanks again for the help everyone.

For the record I clean installed again, and started with a fresh rom ( got this one from a friends cart) and got the same results. Maybe my DS is just handicapped I dunno. [​IMG]

8. Evo.lve

Australia
    Just to let you know, if the size of your ROMs aren't a power of two (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512) then I may know what the problem is.

9. _Truth_
    OP

Newcomer _Truth_ Newbie

United States

Stumped me again. I was excited there for a second, but no. My Mario Party is 32 (as it should be I believe, or would hope... is fresh) Should I maybe try one of the v1. 2 out there? I may I mean its not like I have much a choice, short of rolling back. Funny thing is that rolling back wouldnt affect me much I don't believe. Only stuff I am looking forward to is Plants vs Zombies, and newest thing I am playing, Ghost Trick, was working perfect on 1.8.1

I could really go back with no problem.... Can you think of any reason not too? ( Though I was freezing a little in the menu when I did this earlier... is that an incompatibility with the new loader? )

Just a thought.... you want me to post pics? I don't mind really.

10. Evo.lve

Australia
    It's not a trimming issue, because if it was trimmed with the WiFi and Download Play stuff deleted (this happened back in the old days when it didn't work anyway) it would be smaller than a power than two (because anything written to ROM must have a size of a power of two so to fill it up it's just extra 0's and hash's and stuff).

It's a really weird problem. Does it really bother you THAT much?

11. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I don't know if they fixed this issue, but when they added the AP-Bypass, there was a problem where you couldn't use the download play when it was on.

So I ran off and did some tests.
    I have 2 DS Lites. I am using an Ackard 2i with AKAIO 1.8.5 and I have Flashme installed on both DSlites.
    I used The New Super Mario Bros for this test.

Test one, AP-Bypass on: Download worked, but there was a problem. When I or the other person got a star it did not register and it seemed like we were on two different maps. So the download was really buggy.

Test 2, AP-Bypass off: Download play worked just fine, in fact it worked just like it was the same as the retailed copy.

So yeah, just go onto the ROM you want to use download play on and turn off the AP-Bypass. That will solve your problem.

12. _Truth_
    OP

Newcomer _Truth_ Newbie

United States
    Nah I am not going to sweat it. I am starting to think it could be directly related to the wireless card in my XL. It is a 25th Anniversary Ed. Before I ever threw the Acekard in it, I have loaded up a retail copy of Mario Party, and while hosting my signal strength indicator on screen would dip pretty regularly. This was during 2 player matches between a dsi and the xl, and 4 player matches between those 2 plus 2 lites. The ds's were all about 4 feet apart, and I am pretty sure that signal loss from that range is a bad sign.

Perhaps I need to RMA? I don't know. I will call the big N and see what they think, (leaving out the Acekard of course lol) It sucks because my daughter and I loved to play Mario Party together, but the fact that I still have the connection error when she hosts leads me to believe that this may all just be a rotten coincidence.

13. Rockito

Newcomer Rockito Newbie

Mexico
    _Truth_ you are right I've also tried to run the download play (I have 1 Dsi and 1 Ds Lite) to play Mario Party Ds (to play in multiplayer mode, this game require that only one player own a copy of the game) with Acekard2i 1.8.5a update AKAIO, when it discovers the hosted game, the DS system will prompt the player to begin downloading when it finishes downloading the data and is supposed to start, the game freezes, I try use the advice of A Gay Little Cat... in Mario Party Ds of all possible ways and did not work , Of all the games that use DS download play, the more problems it has is Mario Party DS, And yes i confirm what _Truth_ said , using AK-AIO version 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 AK-AIO works great and there is no problem playing download play multiplayer mode, what did change in the AK-AIO version 1.8.2 that causes this problem? [​IMG]

14. Normmatt

New Zealand
    I have no problems with Mario Party DS going from my DSiXL to DSi or vice-versa.