Country
United States
johncenafan427 said:
BlueStar said:
johncenafan427 said:
yeah, the 3ds cards have the stupid knob at the end so it can't be played
on a regular ds
frown.gif
The shape of the cart is not what is stopping you playing 3DS games on your DS. PS3 discs are the same share as PS2 discs, doesn't mean you can play Killzone on your PS2.
I know, i didn't say anything about the shape.

i said the KNOB is preventing me from playing 3DS games on a DS!!!

The knob is part of the new shape and it's not whats stopping you from playing 3DS games on your DS, it's whats stopping you from inserting 3DS games onto your DS. The Thing that stops you from playing 3DS games on a DS is the fact that it's just not compatible with older generations of hardware. The DS is the former generation and the 3DS has all new hardware to run games. I suspect that the main reason they decided to make the 3DS and DS game cartridges look similar is to avoid adding a whole other cartridge port just for backwards compatibility. They needed to save space to make the 3DS as small as possible, the old DS fat/DS lite style of dual ports (gba/ds), wasn't an option, given the amount of hardware already in there.

Isaac_GS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt the system would short out, but having a knob, hinge, bump or whatever you want to call it to prevent the casual tinkerer from inserting a 3DS cart where it does not belong is better than having a screen telling you NOT GONNA WORK like Pokemon Crystal when inserted into a Game Boy Pocket. Of course, Nintendo isn't going to bother countering the people who file the bump off because those no sane person would do that to a game they like. The only person who would think of doing that is a person who got "Mai Princezz Poniez 3D" specifically to find out what happens when they file the bump off and put it in a DS.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it probably would cause a short, just as if you'd try to force a regular GB game into a DS or a GBA game into a GBC
wink.gif
The hardware is designed differently to prevent you from causing shorts as they generally have different connectors or different voltage requirements...

Else it would be very easy for them to simply have an arm9bin in the carts that when the DS boots them say "Sorry, this software is designed only for the 3DS system".

Rampart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to have to either melt or file down groves on to the back of old Super Famicom games, in order to play them on my Super Nintendo. ah the old days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.