Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Because it was only released on those countries!

The DS Browser is the only one that supports any type of JPG's, which are cached in your external RAM pack. There are other choices such as DS Organize, Okiwi, and a few others. None of which are really worth mentioning yet. They are ok for WIKI and BLOG browsing, but everything else just doesn't function. Okiwi probably has the most potential but that project has hit a stand still and I haven't seen an update for a very long time. Infact the last post was something about recruiting coders to work on the project.

-Another World

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've heard that DSOrganize browser is among the best text-only browsers and I think even has a bit of image support, but its image support is apparently very buggy.

DSHobro is good, but requires that you run a server on your PC (the rendering is done on the PC and then images are sent to the DS over the WiFi).

-Bri

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tinymonkeyt said:
hey can i use the browser without the expansion? some way to hack?

Not with the official DS Opera Browser, no. But you can with the DSOrganize browser......which, I might add, let's you download files too. The "official" one won't do that.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Rayder said:
tinymonkeyt said:
hey can i use the browser without the expansion? some way to hack?

Not with the official DS Opera Browser, no. But you can with the DSOrganize browser......which, I might add, let's you download files too. The "official" one won't do that.

well you can browse without the official expansion ram pack, but you would need a 3rd party slot2 expansion kit or flash kit that can allow you to use the ram. so if you have one of those then you can use the browser rom file. some require a patch, while others can load the clean rom using some tools the rudolph coded: http://www009.upp.so-net.ne.jp/rudolph/nds/3in1_ExpPack/

cheers,
-aw

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wish there was one for the GBA expansion pak for the M3 Real
the browser said there was no ram pak inserted

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another World said:

The DS Browser is the only one that supports any type of JPG's, which are cached in your external RAM pack. There are other choices such as DS Organize, Okiwi, and a few others. None of which are really worth mentioning yet. They are ok for WIKI and BLOG browsing, but everything else just doesn't function. Okiwi probably has the most potential but that project has hit a stand still and I haven't seen an update for a very long time. Infact the last post was something about recruiting coders to work on the project.

-Another World

Actually, the official Nintendo DS Browser has only apparently been uploaded in the Eur and JPN versions. But my USA version is very real
smile.gif
I bought it specifically to get the slot 2 ram cart.

DS Organize is ok, but it's okness is likely based solely on not needing the slot 2 ram. I've not used it to web browse yet, but the other functions are adequate.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Joe88 said:
wish there was one for the GBA expansion pak for the M3 Real
the browser said there was no ram pak inserted

chishm (the one who brought us DLDI) coded a ram pack boot homebrew. it boots any ram in the slot2 first and then runs the official cart. it will not work with a rom and you did not state if you own it or not and simply misplaced the ram pack.

http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=14039

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Panzer Tacticer said:
Another World said:

-Another World

Actually, the official Nintendo DS Browser has only apparently been uploaded in the Eur and JPN versions. But my USA version is very real
smile.gif

DS Organize is ok, but it's okness is likely based solely on not needing the slot 2 ram. I've not used it to web browse yet, but the other functions are adequate.

my understanding was the E version was released in the states. there is no official U version released just for the US. i could be wrong tho =P

-another world.

PigVenus

Trophies
XP
Country
On the different browsers that you have tried (addressed to anyone reading this), did them seem unusually slow rendering the page? I messed around with the official browser and it took about 60 seconds to load and display a simple page: hxxp://www.theinquirer.net Navigating to any of the links (which are just news stories without images) took the same amount of time. Overall, I found the experience painfully slow.

I was just wondering if that is "normal" for the DS browsers.

santorix10

Trophies
Website
rememberthe8bit.googlepages.com
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
Panzer Tacticer said:
Another World said:

-Another World

smile.gif

my understanding was the E version was released in the states. there is no official U version released just for the US. i could be wrong tho =P

-another world.

I can confirm that I've seen the browser in my home country of Egy-- er-- the U.S.. Still, it should be dumped.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
PigVenus said:
On the different browsers that you have tried (addressed to anyone reading this), did them seem unusually slow rendering the page? I messed around with the official browser and it took about 60 seconds to load and display a simple page: hxxp://www.theinquirer.net Navigating to any of the links (which are just news stories without images) took the same amount of time. Overall, I found the experience painfully slow.

I was just wondering if that is "normal" for the DS browsers.

the issue being the speed of the nds over wifi and how slow it is to write to the slot2 ram pack. if you disable images pages will load a bit faster, but 1 min is on average for the ds web browser.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the speed of writing to slot-2 RAM is really the issue, as the GBA slot is very fast due to the way GBA games run. I imagine it's more related to the fact that the DS processor the developers have any real access to is only 66 MHz. There's the 33 MHz ARM7 as well, but that's used for Wifi and touchscreen code more than anything. I'd bet that it's trying to render large pages with tons of images on a 66 MHz processor, which obviously takes a long time to finish.

Stick with SSR mode and images disabled by default until you need to change either of them.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
I was wondering if anyone was actually actively using any DS Web Browser.
Actually, DSHobro is not bad at all for occasionally web browsing
wink.gif
DSOrganize is OK, but I think it would be even better if the author implemented support for Slot-2 RAM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.