Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a problem with DSReader!!!!!!

I had bookmarks on two books in there last night. My DSReader and all books are in the DSreader folder. I turn it on today to read one of the books from that bookmark but now all that's in there are two things with the wrong filename. The percentage complete is fine. When I try to load these, however, it says that the file couldn't be found.

What the hell?

jurassicbond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd suggest getting DSLibris as an ebook reader for your DS and then downloading calibre E-book management software for your computer. Calibre will take just about any type of file with text and output it to epub format which is compatible with DSLibris. Or if for some reason Calibre can't convert it, find a program called Tidy which will convert HTML to XHTML which is also compatible with DS Libris.

DSLibris
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndslibris/

Calibre
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Tidy
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

Tidy is a bit complicated, and it took me a while to figure out how to do it, but I finally figured out one way to do it. Download the .exe, put the html file in the same folder, open up command prompt, go to the folder and then type:
tidy -asxhtml -utf8 -numeric -o book.xhtml book.html

But hopefully calibre will take care of that and you won't need to worry.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
FEFL said:
Hm, I don't know then. Perhaps they became corrupted files or something. I've never had this error before.
Well all of the files i'm using are in a DSReader folder.

Does it help that i'm using the DSision2 firmware/menu with YSMenu on an R4?

Like, here's my problem in full detail...
1. Start up anything... Ex: .txt file named "Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer"
2. Read for a bit
3. Save a bookmark
4. Turn off DS
5. Turn on DS and load DSReader by first loading YSmenu then going to DSReader (since loading DSReader without going to YSMenu first makes it as if I have nothing to read)
6. Go to bookmarks to load one
7. Instead of seeing (using the example) "/DSReader/Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer.txt" I see "meyer.txt"
8. Select that one. Bookmark percentage is correct.
9. Select the correct bookmark percentage
10. It tells me it can't find the file.
11. Go to select a book (instead of loading a bookmark).
12. Select (using that example) "Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer".
13. That works just fine.

If you want, I have borrowed a camera from school with a good enough quality to make a video of this problem, so if you need a visual thing to see my problem, i'll get out my DS and that camera and make a video of it.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
FEFL said:
Hm, I don't know then. Perhaps they became corrupted files or something. I've never had this error before.

2. Read for a bit
3. Save a bookmark
4. Turn off DS
5. Turn on DS and load DSReader by first loading YSmenu then going to DSReader (since loading DSReader without going to YSMenu first makes it as if I have nothing to read)
7. Instead of seeing (using the example) "/DSReader/Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer.txt" I see "meyer.txt"

If you want, I have borrowed a camera from school with a good enough quality to make a video of this problem, so if you need a visual thing to see my problem, i'll get out my DS and that camera and make a video of it.
No, I understand your problem. First, I'm going to see if it does the same thing to a SuperCard. It doesn't.

Ah, I've found your problem. It has trouble with long filenames. Try making the "Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer" shorter and see if that works.

Link: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68172 Read this to help you out further. You wanna read from post #6. #1-#5 aren't really saying much.

EDIT: For example, try changing "Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer" to "meyer.txt" and it should work.

Inunah

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
FEFL said:
Inunah said:
FEFL said:

2. Read for a bit
3. Save a bookmark
4. Turn off DS

No, I understand your problem. First, I'm going to see if it does the same thing to a SuperCard. It doesn't.

Ah, I've found your problem. It has trouble with long filenames. Try making the "Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer" shorter and see if that works.

Link: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68172 Read this to help you out further. You wanna read from post #6. #1-#5 aren't really saying much.

EDIT: For example, try changing "Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer" to "meyer.txt" and it should work.
It does this to all my books though...

"Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer.txt" to "meyer.txt"
"Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer.txt" to "meyer.txt"
"Eragon by Christopher Paolini.txt" to "paolini.txt"
"Eldest by Christopher Paolini.txt" to "paolini.txt"
"Brisingr by Christopher Paolini.txt" to "paolini.txt"

HELL, it did this with the example book too.

"Alice.txt" to "alice.txt", and it WASN'T FOUND EITHER.

EDIT: Mistaken. It stopped doing it to alice.txt

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
FEFL said:
Inunah said:
FEFL said:

2. Read for a bit
3. Save a bookmark
4. Turn off DS

Damn. The way I see it, you've got a few options:

1. Rename "Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer.txt" to "Eclipse.txt." You would do this for all of your books.

2. Re-download the DSReader and see if that fixes your problems.

3. Do both. Like I said, the DSReader has problems with long txt filenames. Renaming them all to maybe JUST the title of the book would help you.

Inunah

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
FEFL said:
Inunah said:
FEFL said:
Inunah said:
FEFL said:

2. Read for a bit
3. Save a bookmark
4. Turn off DS

Damn. The way I see it, you've got a few options:

1. Rename "Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer.txt" to "Eclipse.txt." You would do this for all of your books.

2. Re-download the DSReader and see if that fixes your problems.

3. Do both. Like I said, the DSReader has problems with long txt filenames. Renaming them all to maybe JUST the title of the book would help you.

Yeah, I hope so... XD Until I find a book that has the same name as a book I have in there already. Then it gets complicated.
Or if the book has a naturally long title... Like if it had a title that even with just the first letter of each word would be too long.. XD

valyr

Trophies
XP
Country
dsreader doesnt allow spaces in filenames so when you save a bookmark on a filename with a space in it dsreader only reads from the last space onward try filling your spaces with - marks or something similar i.e
"Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer.txt" would become "Eclipse-by-Stephanie-Meyer.txt" this also applies to the name of the folder/folders you keep your books in e.g X:/Salvatore,-RA/Transitions/03-The-Ghost-King.txt would work whereas X:/Salvatore, RA/Transitions/03 The Ghost King.txt would not. i use dsreader for my books and had the same problem at first

JredX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have DS iPlayer on my DSi and updated it accordingly. I can get every app I downloaded to work, disregarding this one. iPlayer has an auto-DLDI patch on the card, so I have had no reason to patch anything so far. I followed the instructions exactly minus the patching process. Should be simple, right? Wrong! I even decided to try and find a patch for the app using iPlayer, but to no avail. I don't think one exists seeing as it auto-patches everything. I really like to read and this app would be unfathomably useful, but after everything I've tried the app just starts as a plain white screen and stays that way no matter how long I wait. Any suggestions? This seems like a great app and i'd hate to give up on getting it. Please help!

Now, as for anyone who is trying to find pretty much any book ever for free, the answer is simple. Torrent! Download a torrent file program like bitlord, bittorrent, or azureus. Any will work fine. They're all completely free, just google any of them and you will find the place to download immediately. After you're done that go to a torrent site, such as [re-read the rules please -mthr] and search for any book you'd like. If it's your first time downloading with torrents it will probably ask what program to open the file with. Select the torrent program you downloaded and installed earlier and just wait for that bad boy to finish downloading. Torrenting is much faster and safer than any bs limewire, bearshare, frostwire, etc. and there are many different torrent sites to download from. If you don't find what you want on one, just try another. I've never picked up a virus from any files i've acquired. It's good stuff all the way around!

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
JredX said:
Now, as for anyone who is trying to find pretty much any book ever for free, the answer is simple. *Bleep*! Download a *bleep* file program like *bleep*, *bleep*, or *bleep*. Any will work fine. They're all completely free, just google any of them and you will find the place to download immediately. After you're done that go to a *bleep* site, such as *bleep*.org and search for any book you'd like. If it's your first time downloading with *bleep* it will probably ask what program to open the file with. Select the *bleep* program you downloaded and installed earlier and just wait for that bad boy to finish downloading. *Bleep*ing is much faster and safer than any bs *bleep*, *bleep*, *bleep*, etc. and there are many different *bleep* sites to download from. If you don't find what you want on one, just try another. I've never picked up a virus from any files i've acquired. It's good stuff all the way around!

Doesn't this technically go against the rules? The part that says:
QUOTEMembers may also NOT mention torrent or warez-containing sites or channels by name or otherwise.
We do not condone piracy in any way.
Please go elsewhere if you only wish to download or share illegal files. The GBAtemp Forums are for discussion ONLY.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
actually, I know for a fact that linking to the pirate bay (even if you didn't use the url tag) is a violation of the TOS for the board, and possibly a bannable offense even for someone as green as you.

Especially since you've made it clear you don't care about the rules.

Inunah

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
choconado said:
actually, I know for a fact that linking to the pirate bay (even if you didn't use the url tag) is a violation of the TOS for the board, and possibly a bannable offense even for someone as green as you.

Especially since you've made it clear you don't care about the rules.
Psst, even I know not to say anything about *bleep* and *bloop* and *wtf was this a link* and *holy crap you don't wanna know what was here*. And I'm not one to be very rule-following, according to the fact that I have quite a bit of warn.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
QUOTE said:
Members may also NOT mention torrent or warez-containing sites or channels by name or otherwise.
Please go elsewhere if you only wish to download or share illegal files. The GBAtemp Forums are for discussion ONLY.
Torrents themselves aren't illegal, and you can discuss them on GBAtemp.
However, some torrents and torrent sites contain copyrighted material, it's those that you cannot talk about.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
However, some torrents and torrent sites contain copyrighted material, it's those that you cannot talk about.
Lol, I'm definitely sure that someone could find an argument that promoting the use of torrents to download copyrighted material is against the rules, but it seems that I have ended up getting my argument handed to me with my quote xD (I knew I shouldn't have bleeped all of the stuff out).

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
jurassicplayer said:
QUOTE said:
Members may also NOT mention torrent or warez-containing sites or channels by name or otherwise.

Not to stoke a fire or anything...but ALL torrent sites have copyrighted material. I guarantee it. Just like all file upload sites have copyrighted material.

JredX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad I could instantly change the topic of this thread to something of no importance what so ever. Moving on guys...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.