Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The slot 2 version is for slot 2 carts with full DLDI support (i.e. only carts that use internal flash memory or memory cards, not expansion packs). The EEP doesn't have any non-volatile memory other than the SRAM, so it isn't really a good choice for this sort of thing.

If you're trying to get saves off of retail DS carts you could try Eepinator. It has an option to use the SRAM in a slot 2 cart to transfer the save. The only limitatation is that it can only access 64KB of the SRAM, so it will only work if the game's save can be compressed down to fit in that space.

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
The slot 2 version is for slot 2 carts with full DLDI support (i.e. only carts that use internal flash memory or memory cards, not expansion packs). The EEP doesn't have any non-volatile memory other than the SRAM, so it isn't really a good choice for this sort of thing.

If you're trying to get saves off of retail DS carts you could try Eepinator. It has an option to use the SRAM in a slot 2 cart to transfer the save. The only limitatation is that it can only access 64KB of the SRAM, so it will only work if the game's save can be compressed down to fit in that space.

I would try Eepinator but I'm trying to extract a flash save. I'm just going to have to use the wi-fi method. Thanks, though.

Also, I hate to bother but is there a way to load a game onto the EEP so that it will load without the Slot-1 card? This might sound weird but I noticed that if I run a game on my EEP and then I take my R4 out it still runs. Is ther a way to load the game to my EEP so I can keep it on there for awhile like on a 3 in 1?

I thought the two worked in conjunction or does the R4 just store the ROM until it's loaded into the EEP via GBA ExpLoader?

Also, what is a good resource to learn about the type of memory that all of these cards use and how it works so I can spare myself from asking embarrassing questions?

Thanks.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PizzaPasta said:
Also, I hate to bother but is there a way to load a game onto the EEP so that it will load without the Slot-1 card? This might sound weird but I noticed that if I run a game on my EEP and then I take my R4 out it still runs. Is ther a way to load the game to my EEP so I can keep it on there for awhile like on a 3 in 1?
You can't really do this with the EEP. It retains the data in the RAM for a few seconds after the power is turned off, but that's it. Once you turn the DS off for more than a couple of seconds the EEP's RAM goes blank, and the game will have to be copied over from the slot 1 cart again. The 3-in-1 can store a game when the power is turned off because it has NOR flash memory as well as RAM. The NOR retains its data even when the power is off.

With the exception of the 3-in-1, the memory that all of the GBA expansion carts use is some sort of RAM to store the game data, and some battery powered SRAM for storing saves. The 3-in-1 has both of those, plus the NOR flash memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo