DS #5444: Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation (USA)

Mr.Positive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
DJ91990 said:
YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS!

DQ VI is a REMAKE, not a new game. Of course it is not going to be as great as DQ IX as concepts from DQ IX can not be implemented into REMAKES. They are called REMAKES for a reason. The make the game again with better graphics, sound, and one or two tweaks to game-play I.E. Simplifying the menu system or, bug fixes.
OBJECTION!
pokemon-heart-gold-and-pokemon-soul-silver-300x235.jpg

'nuff said.

The problem with this logic is that the DS remakes of DQ are made by a different team than DQIX. This isn't the case with HGSS.

Exhumed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a bit sad to read some of the comments here, but then I have to remember that these are probably kids. You're comparing the game to Dragon Quest 9. The NINTH game in a series. How can you be disappointed that any game from earlier in the series isn't exactly like the last game?

I love everything about DQ6 on the DS. Even the constant walking on the spot. You know that's intentional, right? They put that in because that's what the original DQ games did.

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amak said:
machomuu said:
DJ91990 said:
YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS!

DQ VI is a REMAKE, not a new game. Of course it is not going to be as great as DQ IX as concepts from DQ IX can not be implemented into REMAKES. They are called REMAKES for a reason. The make the game again with better graphics, sound, and one or two tweaks to game-play I.E. Simplifying the menu system or, bug fixes.
OBJECTION!
pokemon-heart-gold-and-pokemon-soul-silver-300x235.jpg

'nuff said.

DQ 6 IS new for everyone outside the US. It was never released outside of Japan, unless you played a translation from a while back.

Wanted to buy it, but after reading SE was going to cancel it... nope, they aren't getting my money. Hope they crash and burn.

Nintendo is the sole publisher on this one, so SE will get no money from it.

Jonas_o

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well!
I am stuck in the game and need some help!
When you are in Amor you should go into the church to move forward but it is a priest in the way that refuses to let me .. Does anyone know what to do?

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Nathan Drake said:
I just have issues with the ideas of remakes of games I already loved and still find great even by today's standards. It's kind of like they took what was already fantastic, updated the graphics, and proceeded to add in as much as they could until it hit the file size they wanted. I liked the fact that they tried to keep the initial experience original, but I couldn't shake the fact that I knew where all the changes they had made were.

It is Pokemon though. I wasn't a huge fan of Fire Red after playing Yellow Version (which I still own
biggrin.gif
), but I did recognize it was a good remake for what it was. I just find remakes of what was already great very unnecessary and a leeching, Square Enix - FFVII type move.

Should probably get this back on topic though.
tongue.gif
Well in regards to the topic, I feel that the original is almost always better, though this may be due to nostalgic value, there's alot to appreciate when it comes to originals.
...Didn't they also port DQVI to the PSX?

Nope. I don't think so, not even in Japan.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exhumed said:
It's a bit sad to read some of the comments here, but then I have to remember that these are probably kids. You're comparing the game to Dragon Quest 9. The NINTH game in a series. How can you be disappointed that any game from earlier in the series isn't exactly like the last game?

I love everything about DQ6 on the DS. Even the constant walking on the spot. You know that's intentional, right? They put that in because that's what the original DQ games did.
I know it's ridiculous that people are comparing it to IX...but they're only three games apart. That said, they are 14 years apart, so they might as well be seven games apart.
So yeah.

QUOTE(RchUncleSkeleton @ Feb 18 2011, 11:46 AM) Everyone who's saying the artist, Akira Toriyama's art all looks like DBZ, I suggest looking at the art for Dragon Quest 9...while similar, it certainly is a departure from the traditional DBZ style he uses.
That is true for most people except the main character, as multiple customizable parts are similar to that of his DBZ style (most notably his SSJ 2 Teen Gohan hairstyle).

Also, one other place where this is the case is Chrono Trigger, where the only character he harks back to DBZ is Crono.

JackSakamoto

Bad Ending Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
A new dragon quest game ?
BUY BUY BUY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWW !
/Buying

Works with ez flash vi and special mode ( I'm not the tester)

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Please tell me you can still recruit monsters to your party in this remake. I made Ashlynn a Monster Master and all the abilities are just breath attacks, plus the Puff! spell, and the class description doesn't mention recruiting monsters. Maybe you just need to have the Monster Master in your party, which I never do. I hope this is what it is, because I love getting monsters to join my party.

Edit: now that I think about it, I have found fangs in stores and a Slime Gooniform in a chest. I'm going to level Ashlynn's vocation and try having her with me when I fight monsters.

Also, one tip you might want to read, but if you don't want to read any spoilers, don't open this:
When you get to Scrimsley, whatever you do, do NOT tell Amos the truth. He can join your party, but if you tell him the truth, he'll leave town and never be seen again, and you'll miss him. I made this mistake, and after looking up a walkthrough to figure out what to do, I learned I messed up and will never have Amos in my party.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PeregrinFig said:
Please tell me you can still recruit monsters to your party in this remake. I made Ashlynn a Monster Master and all the abilities are just breath attacks, plus the Puff! spell, and the class description doesn't mention recruiting monsters. Maybe you just need to have the Monster Master in your party, which I never do. I hope this is what it is, because I love getting monsters to join my party.

Edit: now that I think about it, I have found fangs in stores and a Slime Gooniform in a chest. I'm going to level Ashlynn's vocation and try having her with me when I fight monsters.
As stated by Wikipedia and one other article:
QUOTEThe Beastmaster Class is no longer able to recruit monsters.
The after-battle monster recruitment has been removed. Instead, there are certain Slimes that will join you once you accomplish a specific task. Lizzie still remains recruitable.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
When do you reach Alltrades Abbey in the world with which there are actually people there?

I just got that holy ship and am going to slay the big bad monster and just got the holy priest dude in my party (every single name in the game is eluding me right now). Is it close to sometime after this? I really want to balance my party out.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
When do you reach Alltrades Abbey in the world with which there are actually people there?

I just got that holy ship and am going to slay the big bad monster and just got the holy priest dude in my party (every single name in the game is eluding me right now). Is it close to sometime after this? I really want to balance my party out.
Spoilered:
Go beat Murdaw in his keep. After that, go to the Alltrades Abbey ruins in the real world. Go into the well in the basement, and the hole in the dream world that dropped you by the ruins has been replaced with a non-ruined Alltrades Abbey.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
The further in I get, the more I find that the game was just sort of slapped together without much thought. Dungeons you can't fucking leave with two step bosses that spam the same damned elemental move over and over again is by far the biggest design flaw to ever make it into the game.

No way to recover, no save points, and it's the only reasonable place to grind for levels. Seriously, what the hell developers. It isn't even fun at this point. It's nothing but work. I can't afford to suicide in there every time my MP gets low just so I can get back to town to rest.

The dungeons are sloppy at this point with no real direction so you end up wandering in circles until you manage to find the correct staircase. The enemies and bosses aren't balanced in the least. I'm having a hard time figuring out what the hell the developers were thinking.

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
holly crap, this game has been long awaited, and now that it's out, all people do on here is whine about how the game doesn't meet their expectation.

somehow, i am not suprised.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
rave420 said:
holly crap, this game has been long awaited, and now that it's out, all people do on here is whine about how the game doesn't meet their expectation.

somehow, i am not suprised.

My expectations weren't all that high since I wasn't the biggest fan of IV or V. I'm just genuinely disappointed in how rushed this game feels.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-