DS #5360: River City Super Sports Challenge (USA)

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Here I saw River City and and I was
"OMG RIVER CITY RANSOM!" Clicked on it and now I am disappoint.
This.

I hate it when I see something like "River City..."

If only the title was a LITTLE bit longer.
biggrin.gif

NamoNakamura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Japan, the "River City" games were part of a franchise called Kunio-Kun. Super Dodgeball for the nes was called "Kunio-Kun bragglefraggle moonrunes moonrunes dodgeball" something in Japan.

Basically, it's those awesome sports games by Tecnos Japan, the creators of River City Ransom. Even if its not a River City Ransom return, I'm still glad about this game.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
for me it was quite different... i saw river city and was happy but when i saw sports i said quality assured\
it looks fun with gameplay of the soccer version but this is kinda like a racing game (i think there might be more than just racing games)
nice but overshadowed to a certain level by KH (man!)

NamoNakamura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played the game.

It's pretty much River City Ransom's brawls with some races and obstacle courses mixed in. You can make your own team of six high schoolers, and customize each one's hair color, hair style, complexion, name and inidividual stats, such as endurance, flexibility, stamina, speed, etc. It'd be a good idea to have two brawler types, two speed types, and two balanced. If you're feeling lazy, you can just choose a premade high school team.

You participate in four events:
Tournament - a 4 man brawl, last one standing wins
Treasure Scramble - Like tournament mode, except conveyor belts carry treasure chests along. The one with the most points at the end wins
Cross Country - A 10-20 screen race, with a few obstacles to overcome. Mostly a straight shot to the goal.
Obstacle Course - Like Cross Country, but with many more obstacles, branching pathways to the finish line.

You can attack during the cross country and obstacle course events to slow your opponents down. The bottom screen displays a map, with your location and your enemy's locations, as well as taunts and grunts for when you attack.

There's a tutorial and challenge mode, as well as the main story mode. B dashes, A jumps, X and Y punches and kicks, R guards. You can pick up weapons like tires and crates, and even other team mates.

During the story mode you chose what order you want to play the events in.

It's pretty fun, overall.

The story is pretty goofy. There's some robotics conglomerate making robots for battle, and the CEO finds out about Kunio (the main character of River City Ransom), and wants his robots to model themselves after Kunio, so he makes this sports challenge to do so, and sends Kunio an invite. Kunio says he's bored out of his mind, and enters along with his buddies from Nekketsu High School.

A

Azngamer15

You guys should try the original nes one. Damn fun. I've played almost every kunio game out there. Can you level up and customize your guys in this one?

NamoNakamura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stanleyopar2000 said:
damn...thought this was based on the river city ransom series.

guess I set my expectations too high
frown.gif

It is based on the River City Ransom series, in a sense. It has the same characters.

I think you can level up your guys in this game.

eSPy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yea.. its basically a remake of the famicom game Downtown Nekketsu Kōshinkyoku. really wish that they would do a remake of the basketball and ice hockey games.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Here I saw River City and and I was
"OMG RIVER CITY RANSOM!" Clicked on it and now I am disappoint.
Don't be disappointed. This is actually a game in the same series (the Kunio-kun Nekketsu games) -- I remember it from back in the early NES emulation days. It was never brought over here, but it's pretty good. Naming it "River City" makes sense -- they're obviously trying to bring the whole brand over the US, which would be nice. Unfortunately those games that were brought over in the NES days were renamed in ways that made it impossible to see that they were in the same series, so most people don't know that, say, Super Dodgeball and River City Ransom are supposed to be part of the same series and star the same people.

But seriously, if you liked River City Ransom or Super Dodgeball, this game is worth playing. Out of all the Nekketsu games, aside from that Samurai one, this one feels the most similar to River City Ransom, especially in the frantic run through the city and the fighting sections. "Sports" doesn't quite get it across -- it's like Super Dodgeball in that the sports are really about beating up the other team.

Now, if only they'd bring over the samurai one -- that one actually used the same mechanics as the game we got as River City Ransom, more or less. Basically, Technos made a game based on cheesy Samurai movies starring the main characters of River City Ransom, inexplicably set in ancient Japan. Obviously, most of the game consisted of running around beating up mooks for cash.

Although the basketball one was also amazing. As I recall, you could grab the opposing team's basket and try to run away with it... or beat them to death with it, of course, this being a Nekketsu game.

But anyway, if you're still not convinced that this game is awesome, let me quote the plot for you. Also, for those who don't know, 'Kunio' is the main character of River City Ransom in the original Japanese version:

A company in the US (called the "Tobioka Group", but based in the US ...wha? But they specify that Kunio is a Japanese school student... whatever) secretly makes military robots. While browsing on the Internet, the owner of this company finds out about Kunio and decides that he kicks so much ass that he's going to set up a sports tournament just to see Kunio fight so he can base killer robots off of him.

Yes, seriously, that's the plot.

But seriously, if you liked River City Ransom, you should at least give this game a try. It includes a fight mode, say, with lots of interesting battlefields -- one with a train track running through the center and a train regularly rushing through, one with conveyor belts everywhere... anyway, it's a pretty fun brawler.

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This isn't my favorite Kunio-kun game, but at least it shows that Aksys/Arc System Works still cares about this franchise.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
eSPy said:
yea.. its basically a remake of the famicom game Downtown Nekketsu K?shinkyoku. really wish that they would do a remake of the basketball and ice hockey games.

Loved the hockey one for the nes,~cpu does super shot and goalie is unable to catch it and flys right out the rink~
laugh.gif

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
This game seems kinda fun. Even though I am not one of you old people who've played every River City game, I like this series cos it's just plain crazy. I love brawling, time to kick ass and suck on a gobstopper. :3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol