1. Etalon

Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Macau
    OK, for those that would like to test the ROM, I'll explain Aces Up.

It's a very simple Solitaire game, it takes ~3 minutes.

---

You get 4 cards.

If 2, 3 or even 4 are of the same suit - spades (?), hearts (?), diamonds (?) or clubs (?) - you remove the lower one(s).

You can't remove an Ace. Ace is the highest card, you can remove any other card with it.

If you can't remove any card, you take 4 new cards.

The games is won if you have 4 Aces left.

During gameplay, you can remove 5 cards to a special pile, if you think that might help you.

---

Although this might sound very simple, you will notice that you need some thinking sometimes.

Chances of winning this version of Aces Up are 50% with low or average skills.

2. Ron

Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Does not save stats on Patch mode, testing clean mode now.
    Does not save stats on Clean mode either, it's unlikely that both the EUR versions and the US versions were broken dumps, so it's probably AP.

It saves my saved games but not the stats, it's unlikely that the stats would be stored in a separate format. 2 possibilities proven to be improbably, which leaves AP.

Could someone please test stat saving on the actual cart (legit). It should work, but if not, then it's the game's fault.
    BTW, Aces up was pretty fun, especially with the trance music [​IMG]
    Anyways, going to bed, cya guys later

3. Etalon

Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Macau
    Thanks a lot, Ron. That's useful.

Telegames is a bit... special. All these Solitaire people and companies are. [​IMG]

Both versions of Solitaire Overload (Classic and Plus; EU and USA) won't work with Akaio's soft reset. For example.

Maybe Telegames came up with a completly different solution to save stats - completely different than any other of the 5'400 ROMs.

But it's possible that they've simply broken the game as well. These are small companies.

The EU version got published by "Deep Silver", that's a big professional European publisher. I'm sure "Depp Silver" tests this games before printing a few thousand copies.

4. haohmaru6

haohmaru6 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Confirmed the stats do not save properly with WoodRPG firmware 1.20 on an R4.

Having played the Solitaire Overload classic quite extensively (I've finished EVERY one of the 101 at least once,) this new one has some minor annoyances.

The first is that it does NOT have Time, Skill, and Chance % on the main list of solitaire games. Secondly, the solitaire game list has a "spin," when you hold down on the control pad, that is way too slow and steady, as opposed to the first game where the "spin" would continually accelerate until it was going almost too fast to see, after which i would randomly let go of down on the control pad, in order to have the closest thing I could get to a "random select."

With the new one, first of all, the game list does not "wrap around" when you hold down on the control pad and get to the end of the list, as in go from game 202 to game 1 and continue. Secondly, the speed at which it goes is too slow for any way of navigating the menu to be random in any way.

There does seem to be a way to get a somewhat random game, though. You scroll to the end of the 202 solitaire game list, then tap left on the control pad, and it will start scrolling insanely fast back up to the beginning of the list, and if you tap the A button sometime during this, you are likely to get a somewhat random game.

You would have thought they would have built in a random selection mode if this was an update from the first one. While the game and interface is very well designed, I really wish they had put the amount of thought into it to do something so simple as put a random select option in there.

Mahjong, Tangram, and Picture Puzzles are fun enough to keep the mind occupied.

Looks like I am now all set now, for a good many years, every time I go sit to take a dump.

YOU ALL KNOW YOU DO THE SAME! [​IMG]

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    ... yes, I tested this game while taking a dump, it's true.

6. Ron

Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    As I said before, engineering a way to save stats separately from everything else is Illogical and Improbable.
    Why would such a small company develop a save format just for stats.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Solitaire, Overload, #5317