DS #3107: Prince of Persia: The Fallen King (Europe)

SonicRax

Egg-Mayo: The Movie
Trophies
XP
Country
I honestly don't know why some developers constantly try to force feed gimmicky shit to gamers. The game could've been so good if it had a traditional button control scheme. But nope. Someone has to totally f**k it up somehow. Thanks Ubisoft.
hate2.gif

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
About two levels in and, while I was a little anti-all stylus control, I must say it works. There's really not much in the way of jumping.

If anything, the only complaint I have for this game is sometimes it takes a few seconds to drop from ledges or slide down walls. Would have been nice to get a one tap that drops you no matter what, but it appears to lag.

I also fear that I'm already 5% done with the game and I only did the tutorial level and the first one.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
754boy said:
Another game that could have been good if only stylus control wasn't shoved down our throats. I wanna push some buttons sometimes DAMNIT!!!!!!!

huh.gif

Well, isn't there a PSP for that? Or did you buy the DS for its graphics?

Anyway, I'm thoroughly enjoying the game, as I anticipated I would. The stylus controls work good, though they take some getting used to. Either way, the Prince can pretty much do all the things we love the Prince for, so I'm not complaining. I'm only about five levels in, but they seem to have done a good job. The presentation is kind of "meh," and the dialogue is bad so far, but the graphics are nice. I think the chibi thing works especially well on DS. Only thing noticeably annoying is the repetitive musical loop in dungeons. So far, I'm hearing the same one over and over, and it's only about 10 seconds long to begin with.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Can someone describe how the touchscreen controls work? Not able to play it right now but just wonder how they fucked it up.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Phantom Hourglass was a forced touch screen game but it didn't suck because of it. What is particularly annoying about this?

Btw, has anyone else heard that Disney's gonna make a movie of this?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
After reading all the whining here I decided to play it.. played 3 levels and the controls work better than I expected.. I agree that they are totally unnecessary, the game would work fine with buttons, but the stylus works very well, I don't see any reason to all the complaining here, at least try the thing before complaining about it
tongue.gif

That said.. the art style is nice, this is one of the prettiest games on the DS IMO.. graphics are simple but well done and the levels feel like the first classic games
smile.gif

My only complain about this game is that the music is too repetitive.. a little variety would be good..

edit:
iNFiNiTY said:
Can someone describe how the touchscreen controls work? Not able to play it right now but just wonder how they fucked it up.

You move touching the screen in the direction you want.. double tap to roll on the floor and tap objects to interact with them.. tapping a ledge will make the prince jump there, tapping a wall will make him grab it and tapping an enemy will make him attack.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Has anyone tried/been able to hack touchscreen games to use buttons before? Depending on the exact mechanics it might be possible..

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
iNFiNiTY said:
Has anyone tried/been able to hack touchscreen games to use buttons before? Depending on the exact mechanics it might be possible..
It's been done before with the Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass game.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JPH said:
iNFiNiTY said:
It's been done before with the Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass game.

Also, StarFox just recently got a button hack.

tenentenen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why so many people bash designers who want to try something new with their control shceme. Just because something is different or "not traditional" does not mean that it is bad. yes, people are allowed to have opinions, but opinions based on random bias and close mindedness are not just.
Here are my reasons for thinking this is not as bad as people say it is:

1.The Controls are not traditional. This is true. but who says that traditional is d-pad and 2/4 buttons? nobody did. that is just what people think, but actually there was something before the "traditional controls" it was called a joystick and was used on older arcade games. as seen the controllers/control schemes of games are allowed to evolve over time. they already have.

2. The same idea as above also applies to graphics as well. the graphics are on a DS; not a PC or XBOX or even a Wii. It would be incredibly difficult to get a modern graphic system (that of the newer PoP games) onto such a non-graphicaly oriented system. yes sidescroller is okay, and i know most of you agree, but who cares about graphics. seriously?(If you buy a game because you have heard about its awesome graphics, you should not call yourself a gamer. Ahem...PS3) as long as i can tell what is happening in a game (to a reasonable degree) my most important thing about a game is gameplay. so the graphics look decent.

Finally Things take time to get used too. New does not equal bad. Innovation is key. Graphics are not really that important in the long run. If you feel like complaining, design a better game yourself.

(I am not a PoP fanboy. in fact, i have played little to none of the series. but i do acknowledge my anger towards Sony.)

That is that.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tenentenen said:
I don't understand why so many people bash designers who want to try something new with their control shceme. Just because something is different or "not traditional" does not mean that it is bad. yes, people are allowed to have opinions, but opinions based on random bias and close mindedness are not just.
Here are my reasons for thinking this is not as bad as people say it is:

1.The Controls are not traditional. This is true. but who says that traditional is d-pad and 2/4 buttons? nobody did. that is just what people think, but actually there was something before the "traditional controls" it was called a joystick and was used on older arcade games. as seen the controllers/control schemes of games are allowed to evolve over time. they already have.

2. The same idea as above also applies to graphics as well. the graphics are on a DS; not a PC or XBOX or even a Wii. It would be incredibly difficult to get a modern graphic system (that of the newer PoP games) onto such a non-graphicaly oriented system. yes sidescroller is okay, and i know most of you agree, but who cares about graphics. seriously?(If you buy a game because you have heard about its awesome graphics, you should not call yourself a gamer. Ahem...PS3) as long as i can tell what is happening in a game (to a reasonable degree) my most important thing about a game is gameplay. so the graphics look decent.

Finally Things take time to get used too. New does not equal bad. Innovation is key. Graphics are not really that important in the long run. If you feel like complaining, design a better game yourself.

(I am not a PoP fanboy. in fact, i have played little to none of the series. but i do acknowledge my anger towards Sony.)

That is that.

You're missing the point. It's not that TS-only controls are bad necessarily, it's that they don't give you a choice of the control scheme. Game hacks like what we have for Zelda and Starfox prove that dpad and button control WAS possible on those games, the designers just didn't bother to give anyone a choice in the official releases. THAT is what sucks and is essentially what people whine about. Metroid Prime Hunters was the only game that really did it right, they gave you lots of choices for control....

jeffkong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's really cool, that it's touch screen only

Obstinate reviewers may hate it, but it offers the player a new experience; and the gaming industry can be very repetitive

Confining it to touch only encourages developers to be extra creative and new,
and I commend the developers for it (assuming the game itself is good)

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
kingkong said:
got rated 54% in some magazine, this cant be good time to buy some new console..

What? You don't make sense. This can't be a good time to buy a new console? I would think this IS a good time to buy a new console, unless your grammar just sucks so much you're just spewing a bunch of run-on sentences.

kendashiro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
cruddybuddy said:
kingkong said:
got rated 54% in some magazine, this cant be good time to buy some new console..

What? You don't make sense. This can't be a good time to buy a new console? I would think this IS a good time to buy a new console, unless your grammar just sucks so much you're just spewing a bunch of run-on sentences.

lol that made me laugh.

Anyway, I tried it and the control system is not too comfortable. I don't quite like the cartoon art and cheesy story. I might give this one more try but above all.
I agree with those who said that this game should be played with a dpad. There's no reason Why a 2d side scroller should be played with the stylus.

Look at DBZ origins. That game played fine with the stylus.Even so, you can use both the d-pad and stylus.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
lachinay said:
are you sure the stylus control is mandatory? I bet it isn't...

I'm about to find out......

Yep, 100% stylus ONLY. NO option for traditional controls AT ALL. Are these programmers really that stupid, or are they under orders to force an unnecessary control scheme on people and will fire any QA person who bitches about it? GAH! It's especially pathetic for left-handed people as they have to cover the screen with their hand to continue to the right.

I can see using the touchscreen (TS) for games like Meteos and the crossword games and such, that makes sense and is an improvement, but to force TS control when traditional controls would have been just fine is just LAME, stupid, suck and FAIL.....all at the same time.

Way to screw up what might have otherwise been a decent game Ubisoft....idiots!
You're nuts. If this had normal controls, it would be a generic platformer and you'd all be complaining about how mediocre it is. Walk down hallways in 2d, attack some bats. Ooooo, we've never seen that before.

The controls are what makes the game, like Kirby Canvas Curse. Anybody here liking one but refusing to give this a chance are hypocrits. The fact is that unlike other games where buttons are clearly superior, like the Spiderman games, this one is clearly designed from the ground up with touch screen in mind rather than attempting to inject them into an existing game.

This is something pretty new for the DS, and you're all too obsessed with faulting it right off to even play it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: His clips have been around a lot on TikTok and YouTube. +1