DS #2438: Sid Meiers Civilization Revolution (USA)

guigr

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
guigrhideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
France
Finally: Civilization on my DS!!!
If it's half as good as Civilization IV for PC, It'll be sweet. They should have included the original on the cartbridge for older gamers, it would have boosted the sales.

moo422

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
guigr said:
Finally: Civilization on my DS!!!
If it's half as good as Civilization IV for PC, It'll be sweet. They should have included the original on the cartbridge for older gamers, it would have boosted the sales.

i don't think there was an easy way to port the old Civ 1 to the DS -- i would have been ecstatic if they did.

i'm considering trying out the SNES civ using an emu on the DS; never tried it, so don't know how good/bad it is.

first game, i didn't build more than 2-3 new cities -- map is so small and there are so many other compu players, you end up conquering more than you do expanding, which is ok -- just different from my usual tactics.

sid0101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh....Pikemen destroyed my Sherman Tanks.....
::scratches head::

I still love the game. It took me 4 hours to complete the game with an Economic Victory.... I could have won in other ways, but I wanted to drag it out. I was a couple away from a Tech victory, 4 away from a Cultural Victory, and domination was just too hard for me (right now) on King Level. Those capitals need to bombed before they can be taken over.

For the most part, if you are a Civ fan, this is a must get. CIV on the GO?!.... it's crazy. No wonder it couldn't be made for another portable - the battery would have died while you wanted to play more.

kitehimuro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
Didn't dethrone THE portable Civ, which is surprisingly the N-Gage version. This one is dumbed down too much considering the target audience is supposed to be Civ fans. If the "big console" version is the same with flashier graphics, it's a shame they're selling this under the Civilization brand.

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dammit, I've bought my DS after I've read that it will get Civ (it's my first handheld and I love it). I've been waiting for Civ DS for 7 months now, I've been idling on the IRC the last 3 days to get it as fast as possible. I've finished it 4 times now.

It completely sucks. It's not a dumbed down Civ. It's a dumb-man's Civ. It's not a Civ at all basically. It's like Sid thinks console users are idiots.

But that's something every Civ-Junkie knew after he played Civ Rev on the 360, so this wasn't a surprise.

But the DS adaption of Revolution is a slap in the face for every DS owner. We all know that this little nice gadget can do so much more. We all know that it's able to display a damn 3 frame animation for unit movement. We all know, that an automap on the topscreen would have been absolutely no problem. We don't need those stupid fight animations on the top screen. We need a map on the top screen and unit movement and fight animations in the lower screen. And we don't need a damn button help screen on the top screen (again, instead of a map). Instead we'd just need clickable nice looking icons in the lower screen when we click on a unit. No button help screen needed. What the hell where they thinking, when they decided that they will display clickable gamepad buttons instead of icons on the touchscreen after clicking a unit??!? This is so horribly stupid.

I hate this game, and I think I'll start to code my own CivDS with palib.

moo422

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Roman_42 said:
But that's something every Civ-Junkie knew after he played Civ Rev on the 360, so this wasn't a surprise.

I hate this game, and I think I'll start to code my own CivDS with palib.

after i read the initial buzz on Civ Rev (DS and otherwise), i figured this was what i was in for. i feel like i'm cheating when i don't have to worry about my populations outgrowing my cities and not dealing with corruption and unrest.

i'm taking a look at FreeCiv; have a look, let me know what your thoughts are:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=919...p;#entry1253311

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

moo422

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Roman_42 said:
QUOTE said:
i'm taking a look at FreeCiv; have a look, let me know what your thoughts are:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=919...p;#entry1253311
Didn't play FreeCiv but I'll try it. A DS port of any Civ would be wonderful as long as I can have a map and fully stylus optimised gameplay. Conquering the world without a map simply isn't satisfying.

have you looked through PALib and/or done any application/game dev on the DS?

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
moo422 said:
have you looked through PALib and/or done any application/game dev on the DS?
I'm toying around sometimes with a random dungeon generator (like Nethack), an animated hero sprite, an autmap and touchpad controls with PAlib since I have my DS.
Works perfectly and it would be easy to transform the dungeon code and tiles to a random worldmap generator, but it still would be lightyears away of a Civilization like game.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's not working with my SuperCard DS One (SP3; latest firmware update).

Any solutions? ARM7?

Edit: Nevermind, it's running fine now
smile.gif

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
This is excellent and very surprising for a DS game imo.
I've been playing the X360 game for the last few weeks, but have been struggling a bit on harder levels in campaign mode with some of the later ages and races.
This is great for me to play at work or on the move for testing strategies to then carry out on the 360 version, bagging me some elusive achievements! :Playds:

SleepingDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree 100% Thug. This is a great achievement for the DS. Being able to squeeze the amount of depth and functionality onto a handheld proved to be a big challenge. I've only played for a few hours, but so far, thumbs up.

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Agree with the above, I played this for like 3 hours last night, just on one game. (Wanted to win all of the ways basically, had enough money for a world bank, enough cultural things for that wonder, and also all of the techs, before I took out all of the enemy capitals).

However, one thing that drives me crazy is how things don't seem right with some things. Aka, riflemen taking out airplanes, archers taking out riflemen who just stand there without firing, etc. Does anyone know why this happens? Sometimes having people stand there without even really attacking?

Also, haven't found anyone online yet but I only tried twice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo