imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is a good game, and for Guitar Hero standards, sits right next to "Guitar Hero Encore: Rock the 80's"

Took me about 8 hrs of life (playing the game, then leaving to do whatever, eat, hang out with friends) and I beat expert already. According to wikipedia there's another song to unlock by beating guitar duels, which I haven't done yet.

Overall, a good game, but they REALLY could have made the guitar grip a little better. For example, it slides out of the GBA slot VERY easily. Also the controller is VERY small. Took about a minute to get used to the small buttons, but the buttons could be bigger and much more spaced out if the guitar grip also plugged into the DS' mic + headphone ports and routed them to the outside.

Another thing I noticed: The placement of the guitar pick for storage. When Nintendo came out with the DS, the stylus came out of the top, then they moved it to the side. Good idea Nintendo. However, Red Octane fell for the exact same thing. They put it on the top, and it's fairly inaccesible. I have a habit to put my hand in first, then grab the pick, which is just irritating. Putting everything on the side of it would be better, and also the fact it slides out easily while playing is irritating. If it slips out too much the game freezes and u need to start over.

This is the first time I played a retail game in over a year. Seeing the DS firmware pop up I thought that the chip wasn't being read (My R4 has these issues). Took a bit to get used to.

Gameplay: Very easy to get used to. Double strumming is odd as hell, but it just "comes to you". The songs are pretty damn easy until the last venue, where suddenly on Expert for that Ozzy song, I could've sworn I saw Jordan's Solo B & C there. That was the only song I failed though. Difficulty leaves something to be desired.

Multiplayer: Local only. idk, I'm the only person in my neighborhood with a DS and an addiction to Guitar Hero.

Graphics: Good enough. Especially for DS.

Songs: This song was made so that people could go out and play. So there's a ton of pop songs. (Vs GH3 which had alot of metal/classic rock.) And there's no "Buy to unlock" songs which really stinks. And about a handful of songs are also on GH3 and this. And the GH3 songs copied to this game weren't really the best. "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" or "Cult of Personality" would be amazing fun on this game IMO. =]

No unlockable characters. I miss the Grim Reaper. He was in every other game. Then again, the grim ripper was always the most "polygon-intensive" character i think, so they might've left him out due to hardware restrictions. However, there's two new characters.

Overall rating: 9/10. And I'm a GH fan. The odd controller that pops out and the mediocre songs lower the score.

Side note: This game feels alot like the first guitar hero. There REALLY aren't that many hammerons or pulloffs. This game feels too "strumming-centered" than "scale-centered" which is fun.

My opinion: I don't think that the grip is just buttons, i think there's RAM on it too. (No evidence to back it up) After all, it uses both slots, and it just performs more than I'm used to the DS working. However, I can't wait for some full-size conversion. =]

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
imgod22222 said:
My opinion: I don't think that the grip is just buttons, i think there's RAM on it too. (No evidence to back it up) After all, it uses both slots, and it just performs more than I'm used to the DS working. However, I can't wait for some full-size conversion. =]
That's what I thought... But the say there isn't any ram in it..

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
irpacynot said:
I feel ya', man, but this is one I'd actually love to buy. But at $50, forget about it. That attachment looks to be about the same quality as some of the toys I've seen come in Happy Meals. There's no way it's worth an extra $20 to me. Too bad, too, since the game looks really cool. IGN gave it a 9.
blink.gif
I wouldn't trust IGN's review. They were the ones who got the exclusive "Sneak Peek" and the first ad, and the GAME FIRST

They got paid.

feds4u

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ferrariman said:
irpacynot said:
I feel ya', man, but this is one I'd actually love to buy. But at $50, forget about it. That attachment looks to be about the same quality as some of the toys I've seen come in Happy Meals. There's no way it's worth an extra $20 to me. Too bad, too, since the game looks really cool. IGN gave it a 9.
blink.gif
I wouldn't trust IGN's review. They were the ones who got the exclusive "Sneak Peek" and the first ad, and the GAME FIRST

They got paid.

rolleyes.gif

Its a love it or hate it thing.

incinerator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Trolly said:
Surely (though you'd get horrible speeds) with some bluetoothery and No$GBA + my Wii guitar + some hacking you could play this with the Wii guitar on your PC. Whether it's worth it, who knows.

Wouldn't it be even more practical to use the USB Xplorer for that? There is a Guitar Hero III PC version you know
tongue.gif

MillionsKnives

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, maybe 6 good songs on that track list... I think I'll pass, although I do appreciate the effort. Maybe if custom songs become a possibility, I'll check it out.

Never got into the whole Guitar Hero craze, although I did play the hell out of the games that started this whole fad... Frequency and Amplitude.

Truliche

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
MillionsKnives said:
Hmmm, maybe 6 good songs on that track list... I think I'll pass, although I do appreciate the effort. Maybe if custom songs become a possibility, I'll check it out.

Never got into the whole Guitar Hero craze, although I did play the hell out of the games that started this whole fad... Frequency and Amplitude.

The fad was started with Dance Dance Revolution and copycats on the arcades and later on PSX, while Rez, Amplitude, etc are rhythm games, they are not the same as games like Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero (and they came out much later than DDR anyways).

I just want another Elite Beat Agents, maybe on a 256MB cart
smile.gif
, that would be pretty awesome but even though there's an Ouendan 2 it doesn't seem like EBA2 will EVER come out.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Truliche said:
MillionsKnives said:

The fad was started with Dance Dance Revolution and copycats on the arcades and later on PSX, while Rez, Amplitude, etc are rhythm games, they are not the same as games like Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero (and they came out much later than DDR anyways).

I just want another Elite Beat Agents, maybe on a 256MB cart
smile.gif
, that would be pretty awesome but even though there's an Ouendan 2 it doesn't seem like EBA2 will EVER come out.
The guitar sim fad started with Guitar Freaks. I think.

Fakie!

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Maybe there's a way to dump the Guitar attachment, and then flash it to the EZ 3 in 1, so you can bypass the hardware protection, although I doubt it. But then you would need to hack the game anyways , to be able to play with the DS buttons.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's so much fun to go out in public and play this game.

I wish this game could connect with the Wii's Guitar Hero 3 and provide a multiplayer.

RoD131

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I think that's the biggest potential for homebrew with the addon.

Anyone is up for the job?
(Who am I kidding? And don't flame me, plz.)

Tenkaichi

Trophies
Website
www.livejournal.com
XP
Country
United States
Lord Toon said:
I want to get the game just for the Guitar Grip. I would like to see some DS Homebrew that uses it. Like a Beatmania DS clone or something...I can see it now: Beatmania IIDS!//

I can dream can I?//
Hmm... I'm thinking of buying the game for the grip (and the game by proxy I guess), though it's a shame a 5th button couldn't be incorporated like the other games.

But to your idea, even (original) Beatmania was 5 keys and a turntable and this is only 4 for the grip... there's no way they can cram 7 keys in a practical manner. Maybe they can come out with another (no doubt expensive) attachment? That would f'n ROCK still, and I'd buy it. I mean, they had a keychain and all...

Beatmania IIDS... I like that, haha.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
The ROM has been hacked to work with the DS buttons, ABXY (which seems strange to me).
It is an arm9.bin hack by tringcooler from tgbus.
You will need NDSTool or similar to add the hacked file. Or someone may be good enough to create a PPF or something.
Thx to infini for the heads up. If you spread the file remember who created it and where it came from (tgbus).

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thug4L1f3 said:
The ROM has been hacked to work with the DS buttons, ABXY (which seems strange to me).
You will need NDSTool or similar to add the hacked file. Or someone may be good enough to create a PPF or something.
Thx to infini for the heads up. If you spread the file remember who created it and where it came from (tgbus).
For some reason I can't download that file...

QUOTESorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

g0dia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Minox_IX said:
Thug4L1f3 said:
For some reason I can't download that file...

QUOTESorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.
me 2 =(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill