DS #2290: Speed Racer (USA)

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's laughable how those who haven't played it refuse to play it because of how it looks and that they're sure it'll be bad.

Those that have played it, say they've enjoyed it. Har de har.

I'll take a shot at this when I get home from math finals.
I'm not procrastinating study~

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really enjoyed this game, I love being able to do the stunts and the old "car-fu" thing is a great addition and done well.

Graphically, it has to be seen on the DS, screenshots do not give it justice and though very bright & they're different to most racers around. Very good track lengths too and for me they are well designed and the sound does it job.

Control is usually what kills many racers (DS or otherwise) but on this I thought it was very good, some may take time to adjust to the bends but with breaking, rolling & spinning you'll get use to it.

It is kinda easy for me but just doing crazy stunts and that stops the boredom of being first all the time. I can easily see me wanting to buy this tomorrow.

For me Mario Kart DS is the best DS racer, if this had more tracks, better difficulty & Wi-Fi it could have bettered it but its a good second place with Asphalt GT 2 as a 3rd (sorry guys but I liked that game better than the other racers). Don't let its bright colours stop you from enjoying the best movie licensed game on a Nintendo console for a long time, and not only that but a fine fast fun racer. Its not F-Zero X, but then what is?

8/10

P

pasc

hadrian: QFT

Totally stunt racer thing. Another 3D Engine which could be used by other 3rdpartys.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hadrian said:
For me Mario Kart DS is the best DS racer, if this had more tracks, better difficulty & Wi-Fi it could have bettered it
At first I read:
"For me Mario Kart DS is the best DS racer, if this had more tracks, better difficulty & Wii Fit it could have bettered it"

For a moment I was worried about your mental state Hadrian
laugh.gif

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
berlinka said:
Hadrian said:
For me Mario Kart DS is the best DS racer, if this had more tracks, better difficulty & Wi-Fi it could have bettered it
At first I read:
"For me Mario Kart DS is the best DS racer, if this had more tracks, better difficulty & Wii Fit it could have bettered it"

For a moment I was worried about your mental state Hadrian
laugh.gif
I re-read that a ton of times to make sure I didn't write Wii Fit.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hadrian said:
funem said:
Hope its better than the mobile phone version, that was just terrible....

Edit : - Just had a real quick play. Graphics and sound are nice, and the racing moves along at a nice pace. Not sure how long I will enjoy the flying car combat bits though.
Have you only played the 2D one? The 3D one for me was fun though easy and short.

I tried the 3D one and just didn't like it. I have an HTC TYTN II as a phone and I just found the controls a bit fiddly, guess its because its not really written for that type of phone. The DS game is growing on me a lot., its got nice replay value I am now holding out hope that Nintendo will see a market for F-Zero on the DS now and start working on it, followed by a version of 1080, hopefully based on the N64 version.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah right, I find that racers on phones are better with a little stick.

The more I play this version, the more I love it, already unlocked all the tracks on Amateur & Pro and most of the cars and racers and yet I can replay this without getting bored. Just being able to do stunts and attacking the other racers adds so much to the gameplay.

Save for making it harder, a level editor & Wi-Fi I dunno how it could be better.

If Nintendo ever do F-Zero DS they'll have to better this, probably an port of F-Zero X but with a lot more added could do it.

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
Ah right, I find that racers on phones are better with a little stick.

The more I play this version, the more I love it, already unlocked all the tracks on Amateur & Pro and most of the cars and racers and yet I can replay this without getting bored. Just being able to do stunts and attacking the other racers adds so much to the gameplay.

Save for making it harder, a level editor & Wi-Fi I dunno how it could be better.

If Nintendo ever do F-Zero DS they'll have to better this, probably an port of F-Zero X but with a lot more added could do it.
Yep. Checked out the credits? Seems like it's made by some chinese, not too shabby definitely, also this is the studios' debut title on the DS right? And sometimes the difficulty is just right, I had some really entertaining first place battles with some guy many times. It's definitely a great future racing 'fix' as this genre is generally lacking, what's the home consoles or maybe PSP got? Wipeout? I don't know of any others, I'd do with some more Extreme-G aswell if you ask me.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone who has played this, does it have track twists such as loops, corkscrews and half pipes? Those were in abundance in F-zero (n64 an gc) and are what made the game so cool.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
For anyone who has played this, does it have track twists such as loops, corkscrews and half pipes? Those were in abundance in F-zero (n64 an gc) and are what made the game so cool.
Yes. Also has some very nice in air leaps so you can do bigger stunts.

SleepingDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there are many of those in the game. Halfpipes and corkscrews are used throughout several of the tracks. Haven't run into a loop yet, but I'm not even halfway through it yet. This game could certainly have been better, but I have to admit, I'm having some fun with it.

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
granville said:
Yes. Also has some very nice in air leaps so you can do bigger stunts.
Yeah, and some seem to completely defy gravity
biggrin.gif

Offtopic: Tired of the Iron Man avatar already?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: 4th wife