MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MADKATZ99 said:
F Zero GBA craps all over this game.

I cant understand how people can make amazing looking games like super mario 64 look better on the DS, yet all the other games on the 64 look soo much better than the standard DS game..
The original Mario 64 didn't look all that great to begin with. I don't know but I like the graphics of this game, maybe it's just the matter of taste, yes many objects are just flat planes with transparent textures but who cares at 620kph?
smile.gif

It definitely does look better than F-Zero for the 64.

staticfritz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This game took me by total surprise. I haven't felt compelled to write a review since Tingle. But this game is really good.

The pros:

- incredible graphics
- believable sense of speed
- thrilling track design with half pipes, loop de loops, a variety of huge jumps including 180 track to track
- great responsiveness from the cars, with lots of nuanced in-game car control options
- really impressive AI. This is the first racing game since Mario Kart where opponents actually play like real people
- perfect frame rate. No stutters for all the graphical detail

The downsides:

- No story mode though there is a tourney mode. I'd have liked to get to know the characters
- skimpy unlockables. Not huge, but would have increased the replay value and taken little extra effort
- no cutesy animated graphics for trophy gains or in menu. Would have made the whole thing feel more regal
- The bottom screen really could have used a map screen. You need to memorize the track to know when to do a final push

Nothing real major on the con side. It's a really fun arcade-style title, and way more entertaining the the F-Zeros, if for nothing other than the fact that there's no cheapness anywhere in this title. Cheap as in none of the AIs cheat, no cheap deaths by flying off the track, and ample opportunity to power up your nitros. If you lose the race, it's your fault, not the game's. So when you do win, you earn it. That's fun!

ECJanga

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@ staticfritz
Not necessarily a map. But you can touch the bottom screen to make it show a view of how far you are away from the finish.

Green Flag = How Far To Lap 1 Complete
Yellow Flag = How Far To Lap 2 Complete
Red Flag = How Far To Lap 3 Complete

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gacktgacktgackt said:
for some reason this doesn't work on my R4...

anyone have any idea why?

anyone else actually experiencing this problem?

gets past the video codec screen then just goes to black.

Do you have the latest firmware (1.18)? It works perfectly on my R4. Possibly, wherever you DL'd it from had a bad ROM, try a different place to get it.

Latest R4DS firmware: http://www.r4ds.com/download-en.htm (make sure you download the correct region firmware for YOUR R4)

As far as I'm concerned, this is BETTER than MKDS in terms of pure fun. But then again, I never was much for the cutesy aspect of many Ninty games, so I'm kinda biased there. IMO, Speed Racer DS is currently the BEST racing game on the DS, lack of online WiFi notwithstanding.

distorted.freque

I'm getting mixed signals here!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So...I'm not really sure if this is the N-card's fault...

It loads fine (you can see the intro) but it doesn't want to write data. I've tried all sorts of things but nothing seems to work. Help is much appreciated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ngNaUaQOfPU