DS #2107: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings Of Fate (USA)

DarkSpace

Custom member title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But the argument is this, it's the way that the CycloDS runs a cleanrom a game couldn't tell the difference, on the other hand SE could put in this CRC check in order to put this problem in in order to stop FC that patch from playing properly.

archindivide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gacktgacktgackt said:
archindivide said:
im just saying that people are going a little too far, SE wants money what else is new.

it irritates me that you say that assuming they don't have any right to make money out of the game that they developed and published...

jesus christ, get a grip

i never said they were wrong for it, they are right to want all the money they can get for it, i mean it is a good game, i just dont see whats the point in saying its some kind of retardation when its really just people wanting to get paid for what they made

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jgu1994 said:
go185 said:
Its not a bug, its flashcart detection.

It is a bug. If it was a FC detection, cyclo would be affected too, but it's clearly not.

The CycloDS runs 'clean' (unpatched) roms, as does the AceKard, the EDGE & the no$ emulator ... that is why they are unaffected.

How many times do we have to repeat ourselves?

It...detects...patching.

Carts...like...the...R4...and...M3...Simply...auto...patch...the...roms...some..
older...carts...require...the...rom...to...be...pre...patched...by...proprietary
..software...that...is...why...they...are...affected.

evadwolrab

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone feel like condensing what the deal is with this game? I get the impression something's going on but I'm not reading 45 pages of flaming. Sorry.

archindivide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moots said:
45 pages....of arguing why the TFP error happens...........

Who cares why, we should be talking about how to fix it.

yes you are right but the main part of fixing the problem is finding out whats causing it, it just seems to me that people wont accept one clear and obvious reason and start trying to fix it, either way there are prolly some out there working diligently on it as we speak. the solution though has been said to be not so simple for this particular problem

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
evadwolrab said:
Anyone feel like condensing what the deal is with this game? I get the impression something's going on but I'm not reading 45 pages of flaming. Sorry.

Well, Dave Barlow ... here's the deal, with this game ...

The game comes up with a screen that says "Thanks for playing!!", and resets the game, when you walk through a door in a dungeon, after a random amount of time playing.

This happens on some carts, but not on others.

See the home page of GBAtemp for a list of what carts it happens on.

That is it.

kreatosoupa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
evadwolrab said:

Reading the first post usually helps...

Anyways, it plays fine on my M3 Real. Gonna order the original tomorrow... This topic is lots of fun, though.
ph34r.gif

Sokonomi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Freaking mogs...

Anyway, is it at all possible for new firmware to deal with this? It seems a CRC check to see if the ROM is altered in any way will stop pertymuch any "old gen" flashcard dead in its tracks... This talk about the main file being heavily encrypted doesnt give me much hope on getting this awesome swag eighter.

Do you lot think someone can actually bulley the game into properly functionning? Or am I going to have to buy my first real game card? (Ill need one of those gay carrying bags to drag around extra cartridges if I do. >___

jdub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mine is working super on my cyclo. only thing ive noticed is a glitchy looking line on the touch screen that pops up once in a blue moon. hardly even noticable. this could be cause from anything though. im about 2 hours into it.

archindivide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sokonomi said:
Freaking mogs...

Anyway, is it at all possible for new firmware to deal with this? It seems a CRC check to see if the ROM is altered in any way will stop pertymuch any "old gen" flashcard dead in its tracks... This talk about the main file being heavily encrypted doesnt give me much hope on getting this awesome swag eighter.

Do you lot think someone can actually bulley the game into properly functionning? Or am I going to have to buy my first real game card? (Ill need one of those gay carrying bags to drag around extra cartridges if I do. >___

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Despite "the message", I am still pretty far into the game ... I have 2 saves ... 1st save is around 3.5 hours of play ... 2nd save is around 6 hours of play ... I had some really long runs between "messages" ... I was lucky.

Wish I could buy this in my country, but it is not out for another week yet ... I will have finished it by then, anyway
wink.gif

Posts merged

archindivide said:
Sokonomi said:
Freaking mogs...

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
jgu1994 said:
go185 said:
Its not a bug, its flashcart detection.

It is a bug. If it was a FC detection, cyclo would be affected too, but it's clearly not.

The CycloDS runs 'clean' (unpatched) roms, as does the AceKard, the EDGE & the no$ emulator ... that is why they are unaffected.

How many times do we have to repeat ourselves?

It...detects...patching.

Carts...like...the...R4...and...M3...Simply...auto...patch...the...roms...some..
older...carts...require...the...rom...to...be...pre...patched...by...proprietary
..software...that...is...why...they...are...affected.
Uhh just so we're clear, every last flash cart patches, every single one of them with no exception. Openchip, the author of the no patch tester wrote up a very good and concise explanation as to why this is:QUOTE
There is nothing Slot-1 makers can do, the Slot-1 protocol requires valid data be present on random reads within 4 microseconds.
Only NOR flash or ROM is that fast, NAND flash response time is also too long (about 12 microseconds)
If this is protection against flash carts (which I don't believe it is), it's not using a foolproof method of checking for patching. You could certainly make an argument that it's checking for patching and doesn't catch the CycloDS though.

DarkSpace

Custom member title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A cyclic redundancy check (CRC) is a type of function that takes as input a data stream of any length and produces as output a value of a certain fixed size. A CRC can be used as a checksum to detect alteration of data during transmission or storage.
-From Wikipedia
If this definition is correct than the reason that the glitch happens is because somewhere along the way the R4/M3 patch it or alter the data in someway, on the otherhand the unpatched mode cycloDS does not.

achikochi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have an R4 but have never come up against this before. Does someone just need to make a new Rom that is R4(and other card) friendly? And how will I know it is the one. Any help here would be great. Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://i.ibb.co/ryyCd9J/20240526-163308.jpg I got a new friend guys