DS #2082: Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (USA)

Karmatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sk3tch said:
Karmatic said:
Mark my words, folks. People are going to come back to come back and cry and complain about this game because they are noobs that cannot handle the pain of the death system.

Everyone just needs to realize that dying is a part of the game. It serves a valuable purpose - you learn from your mistakes and that's how you improve. You cannot go through this game and never die. It's just too hard. You die, you learn, you try again. The dungeons are randomized for this purpose. You learn new strategies when enemies defeat you...come back, try again..then beat them. You can store some stuff in your warehouse, but for the most part you die and start all over.

Yep. And actually, I treat roguelikes like Shiren more like a game of Pacman where my main concern is getting a new highscore.

SaltyDog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, then, is this game similar to Izuna? If so, then I made to hastily a decision (shame on Sega then for keeping the name to similar to the pokemon game). Izuna was punishment but fun for some reason to play.

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SaltyDog said:
So, then, is this game similar to Izuna? If so, then I made to hastily a decision (shame on Sega then for keeping the name to similar to the pokemon game). Izuna was punishment but fun for some reason to play.

Mystery Dungeon is an incredibly popular series in Japan. Other than the Pokemon "variant" - this is the first U.S. exposure to the series. This is why I want people to buy the game, so we can get more. Perhaps a Wii version??
smile.gif

Karmatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sk3tch said:
SaltyDog said:

Mystery Dungeon is an incredibly popular series in Japan. Other than the Pokemon "variant" - this is the first U.S. exposure to the series. This is why I want people to buy the game, so we can get more. Perhaps a Wii version??
smile.gif

The only games I have bought for DS are this and Izuna. Although Izuna isn't the greatest game, I'm under the same mentality as you: if these type of games sell, we might get lucky and see more.

Also, let's see some posts about deaths.. or as roguelike community calls them YASD posts (Yet Another Stupid Death)

rakker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
this game is a little too hard i think

i have played it a few hours but i cannot defeat the soldiers
mad.gif

and after that you must starting over again and you level is 1 again

ps. sorry for my bad english

stargoonman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

ITS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(BUT I ALREADY BOUGHT FROM THE STORE, YOU WERE TOO LATE MR. SHIREN!)

Citric

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Karmatic said:
Rock Howard said:
I remember it's related to Dragon Quest somehow... Am I right?

No. Not whatsoever.
Yeesh, I'm not even remotely a fan of this series, but even I know of the DQ connection. Before Shiren, there was a spin-off to Dragon Quest about Torneko/Taloon from DQIV doing various roguelike things. Torneko's Great Adventure I think is the translated title. It was the first Mysterious Dungeon Chunsoft did.

This game (or, the SNES version) was actually released as a sequel to that game, though it's mostly new and doesn't have DQ characters in it as far as I know. Same basic gameplay, though more advanced I think. Then again, never got far enough in either to really judge them. I just suck too hard at roguelikes.

Knowing is half the battle!

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These type of games aren't bad, but after beating Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja, I kinda don't have any desire to play this one.

Citric

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Karmatic said:
Citric said:
Karmatic said:
Rock Howard said:
I remember it's related to Dragon Quest somehow... Am I right?

No. Not whatsoever.
though it's mostly new and doesn't have DQ characters in it as far as I know.

That's the point I was making, really. Plus, it's really not like any of the classic DQ games.
I figured by the Not whatsoever comment you meant it wasn't connected in any way. There's no doubt it's connected to the DQ series, but it's not a DQ game by any stretch.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omfg this game sucks the big one ; we should all only play kindom haerts and final fantasy x=-2

Seriously, though, this is a pretty good Roguelike. I don't have enough spare time to play this particular one because of the death system, but for people who do have the time it's totally a good game. Meanwhile, thousands of miles away, I can enjoy Izuna when I get a chance.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't seem like a bad game thus far. Made it through the first dungeon no problem...couldn't figure out why I couldn't save, and especially why I apparently reverted to level 1 despite not dying...I will figure it out soon.

Am I the only person who actually liked PMD? I mean...yeah. I like the setup of the elements and capturing enemies and junk, but I absolutely HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the battle system of the original games! I hate invisible random encounters! I hate just standing there and trading blows! Etc.

Yeah, go ahead and say that you can solve one of those problems with Repel. =P But seriously, I actually liked PMD. This doesn't seem bad so far...

NekoDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, this game is incredible, it's very addictive. I urge everyone to give it ago, it is much better than Izuna and PMD.

I've started 9 different adventures and each one has been completely different, my last one had a sad ending but I won't say what happened.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work