Drawing Tablet

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Art Studio' started by DjoeN, Dec 22, 2014.

1. DjoeN
    OP

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Ok, i don't know if it's the correct place, but it is art related :)

I want to buy 2 relative cheap drawing tablets for my kids and was looking into:
    Intuos Manga P&T S

So is this a good choice as step-in drawing tablet for my kids?

I know, my kids can draw descent, the got ProMarkers an Copic Markers (with the special paper) last time for there good points in school and going to the second grade of high school

Now for there christmas i'm looking into drawing tablet for there laptops, cause drawing with a mouse really sux and the do most drawing stuff now on iPad with a stylus and save it in Onedrive so the can access it on there pc

Any feedback or other tablets are welcome, as long as it stays under €100 for each tablet (Shipping not included)

2. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    Don't have any experience with that tablet in particular, but all of the tablets function similarly, so they should be fine for your kids.

3. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    I'd say the best overall tab would be a tegra note 7 as it is made for use with a special stylus and has android to do stuff in addition to drawing.

4. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States

But it costs more, and probably isn't as good for drawing on a laptop as a wacom tablet would be with the proper drawing software.

5. wangtang32000

wangtang32000 Newcomer

Dec 31, 2009
    United States
    In a Cave in the middle of nowhere.
    wacom's tablets are great (at least all of the ones i used)

i say go for it.

6. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    The wacom is the best for drawing but I was stating the TN7 is better for overall use. But yeah get a wacom tab if drawing is important to ya (I heard the 1 gen Samsung galaxy tabs have wacom and that may be a good option)

7. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    That one should do well, although I fail to see how it differs from my Wacom Bamboo Pen. I suggest buying some of those for your kids since they are entry-level and less expensive than the manga versions. There are many talented artists that just hate working on a drawing tablet, so it's better not to waste extra monry on a device your kids might not use.
    Oh, and if your kids have never used such a tablet before, install them a copy of osu. Got used to my tablet with that game in just a couple of days. ;)

8. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Go for the wacom tablet, it will be ideal for them

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I fancied a new toy so I picked up an old wacom for myself the other week (old enough to have pressure but no angles). I have not quite seen the light like I have with certain other tools and peripherals over the years (it is certainly nothing like http://www.3dconnexion.co.uk/index.php or equivalent video tools) but it is quite enjoyable, if I used freehand select more (I prefer path tools and layer masks for most of the times I would need that) I might care more. Ditto if I actually drew things rather than painted out things with clone/heal brushes -- it is 500 times easier to do pen style movements with a drawing tablet than trying to use a mouse for it all.

Works wonderfully with gimp and inkscape too, though you will do best to learn to configure it all first as it is not one of those working out of the box things and has many settings you might want to play with first (if nothing else then the relative movement vs having the screen mapped to the tablet).

10. Tokopimv

Tokopimv Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2012
    Netherlands
    I don't see the difference between the pen&touch and the manga version, other than the software. but either the software is shit or there is something in the tablet which is less good, considering the price is the same. If you do not have good computer drawing software(Painttool SAI or Photoshop?) I'd say these will be just fine. If you however have acces to better software I'd recommend just getting 2 pen&touch's, just in case the price actually has something to do with the tablet quality.

As for Wacom in general, all products I've used from them have been of very good quality and have lasted me quite a while.

11. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Wacom tablets are great, I've had two. One was really small and old (it came with drivers for win 3.1 and win 95 ;) ), and the one I have now is a huge Intuos 3 (a4 wide, so the drawing area is larger than an a4 paper).

The most difficult part is to learn how to draw in one place, and watch another place. But once they get the hang of that, they'll enjoy it a lot I think!

The software isn't shit, but I found it quite hard to use (an older version). There's no difference in the tablets, they just give away the software for free for those interested and have an option for those not interested (companies for example) to not have the manga software.

12. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    You could also probably try going with like a Wacom Bamboo Create (CTH670) or Wacom Bamboo Capture (CTH470). You might want to ask your kids if they would like having a larger active area or not first though. The Create has a 8.5"x5.4" active area, so it's about a half sheet of paper and the Capture has an active area slightly smaller than the one you are currently looking at.

CTH470: http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Capture-Tablet-CTH470/dp/B005HGBEZ2
    Price: $65 ---> €42
    Active area: 5.8"x3.6"

CTH670: http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Create-Tablet-CTH670/dp/B005HGBF9W
    Price: $130 ---> €84
    Active area: 8.5"x5.4"

I personally have a CTH661 which has the same active area as the CTH670 and I've liked mine well enough.

Zerousen likes this.
  13. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States

the only difference is the software. the pen and touch comes with sketchbook express and artRage 3. while the manga one comes with the manga software. since he is buying 2 of them, i'd buy one of each and then he can have all the softwares.

BORTZ likes this.
  14. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    If you were buying one, which would you choose?

15. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States

the one with artrage. but i have little interest in comic book or manga. plus i prefer illustrator for vector art.

BORTZ likes this.
  16. Janthran

Janthran Solarian

Sep 17, 2011
    United States
    The Pacific Northwet
    The intuos small tablets are actually all the same, so if you don't want a specific software then you can buy a cheaper one

edit: and *then* i read the thread and see that someone already said that. gg

17. Mike001

Mike001 Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2015
    United States
    You won't be disappointed with the Huion H610 Pro. You can look around at http://www.huiontablet.com/, they have nice products with nice prices. Wacom isn't a bad brand but they are VERY expensive, for a cheaper price than that Intuos Manga, you can get a bigger size. Even though it comes with Manga Studio, that isn't the only drawing software. There are plenty of good free software like Paint Tool SAI.

DjoeN likes this.