dragon quest 9 unlocking classes......

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by tenkai, Jul 10, 2010.

Jul 10, 2010
  1. tenkai
    OP

Member tenkai GBAtemp Regular

United States
    how do you unlock the next list of secret classes? i know how to get the magic knight- from what i read on gamefaqs you have to kill a metal slime while having barrier but i have not tried this.

2. Skorch

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada
    I've managed to unlock 2 classes so far, Gladiator (Battle Master) and Armamentalist (Magic Knight). You get 2 quests in alltrades abby once you can change classes. For gladiator you need to get to super high (100) tension then use dragon slash to kill a slime, you need to do this 3 times and to get 100 tension you need the 16 point monk skill. For magic knight you need to use wizard ward, then the person who used ward has to get the killing blow on a metal slime, this needs to be done twice. While your working on the battle master quest you might as well pick up another quest (also found in alltrades abby). The quest asks you to get to super high (100) tension 5 times, that is it. Once you do this quest you are asked to come back once you have an entertainer at lv 40+ for another quest I would assume. I believe this is part of a chain to later unlock the superstar (don't know it's real name) class.

I just made my warrior into a gladiator, now to start grinding again lol.

Edit: There is another quest you can get in alltrades abby, get a lv 15+ mage to sleep at the inn at the abby and you will get a quest. Once you do that quest they tell you to come back once you have a lv 40+ mage, I'm not sure but that may lead to unlocking the sage class.

Edit 2: Just unlocked paladin, when you get to Gleeba (next place after you get the boat) there's a paladin in the palace that gives you a quest to use whipping boy to take 10 attacks for a party member. I found it easy to do just outside gleeba, there's a monster that has a group breath attack. Not sure on the lv requirement for this, might just be 15+ warrior, my warrior (was a lv 20 gladiator when I found and did this quest) was lv 28 at the time.

3. Sharpz

Member Sharpz GBAtemp Fan

United States
  4. Skorch

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada
    I don't think that thief quest unlocks any classes and I could be wrong about some of the above unlocking other classes. I found the quest to unlock ranger in the north end of the lonely plains (1 map east of bloomingdale) Requires you to envenom 3 monsters and let the poison kill them.

5. quezcotl

Member quezcotl GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    whats "whipping ability" for the Paladin class.

6. Skorch

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada

Whipping boy is a warrior skill. It is required to do the quest that unlocks paladins.

7. tenkai
    OP

United States
    wow thanks now i know to get a warrior class on my team im sick of being a warrior though, but to unlock other classes you need to probably be one of everything right?

8. Skorch

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada
    Gladiator - Just needs swords
    Paladin - Needs warrior skill
    Ranger - Just needs daggers
    Armamentalist - Needs mage skill
    Sage - Needs mage skill
    SuperStar - Needs entertainer skill

So just 3/6 are needed I believe.

9. quezcotl

Member quezcotl GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    anyone know where the "red post sign" is? from the academy swordman class/quest?

10. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    what does "superstar" does? [​IMG]

11. tenkai
    OP

United States
    how do you get the guy who can change your classes to come back to the abby(temple)? im there but hes said to be missing

12. gameguy95

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
    you beat the crap out of him at the top of the Tower of Trades. to get in you need to bow at the door.

13. tenkai
    OP

United States
    oh ok thanks btw whats deffness? its not defense cause there both on the stat screen

14. gameguy95

United States
    deftness? deftness is how often you get critical hits and the like... i think

15. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    You have to do quests to obtain the ability to learn the different classes. You can get the Gladiator quest at Alltrades Abbey and the Ranger class quest is not much further into the game, when you go to seek out Mason at Zere Rocks, there is a guy in front of the cave to the right wearing green clothing who gives it to you (there is a little boy opposite him). I believe there might be a job class for a mage that you get from the faeries when you sleep at the Inn back in Alltrades Abbey, they give you a staff you have to equip to your mage and must kill a certain number of monsters with the Frizz ability. The Ranger one requires you to obtain a certain type of weapon that poisons enemies and poison a few enemies in the cave just before you reach Zere Rocks where the boss is.

16. squall098

Newcomer squall098 Newbie

United States
    Gladiator - Abbey - kill slimes with dragon slash while in a state of hypertension
    Armamentalist - Abbey - kill metal slimes with a character that has magic barrier
    Ranger - Zere Rocks - kill chimeras with poison
    Paladin - Gleeba - use whipping boy 10x
    Sage - Gittingham Palace - kill great trolls with Frizz

I believe you have to beat the game or something to get the Superstar class.

17. Arek1985

Newcomer Arek1985 Advanced Member

United States
    Superstar- Post Game in Gleeba at the dance hall. The objective is to defeat a Minstrel Moai with Hot Lick.

Minstrel Moai's however don't show up untl you get to higher level Treasure Maps. The first map I've gotten with them is a level 60 map.

18. gameguy95

United States
    ^then what's with the ghost in alltrades abbey that wants you to be his apprentice when you have a lvl 15+ minstrel?

19. liquidnumb

Member liquidnumb GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's on the small island between the two western continents. You must read the BACK of the sign.

20. AsPika2219

Member AsPika2219 Pikachu going beach!

Malaysia