ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
The new Dragon Age comes with a new dash built in. My question is: is it safe to update or not?

From what I have read, it's safe to update on a banned console then play Dragon Age, but it blocks some recent games such as AC:B. Anybody who can verify this?

I don't care for AC:B after completing it last December, so I'm curios if I can safely push the accept-button.

ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lol, I believe I actually found a way around updating. It appears that the game skips the update when there's no hdd attached. Now this would normally leave you with not being able to save, which fortunately can be remedied. It requires a flashdrive formatted for use with the 360. Formatting a flashdrive is possible when you're on a more recent dash, such as the beta-dash which served as a workaround for AC:B.

It goes like this:

- Format flashdrive for use with a 360
- Power off the console
- Unhook the HDD and flashdrive
- Power on the 360 with the disc in the tray
- The disc will skip the forced update and boot up right away
- When the game opens, insert flashdrive so you can save

I'll have to spent some time with the game to see if this is a solution which allows me to play through the game, though I see no reason why it wouldn't.

So all in all it seems a great solution for ppl like me who are on an older firmware and who don't like to upgrade their FW.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It might still update some things behind the scenes.

Still the update and ideas behind things
With the kinect update a new protection method now known as AP2.5 was introduced/activated. This was unlike any other protection before it (beyond the initial protections anyway) in that it stopped games from being played if it was tripped rather than tried to detect things for banning purposes.
Thus far only 6 games* and their region dupes have it (3 in the initial release, 3 more in the second kinect dash). AP2.5 has been covered extensively elsewhere though so I will not dwell on it for too long (short version samsung and some hitachi drives were immune, all the others which constitute most drives were not and there is no viable way to swap drives to bypass it).

*Fable 3 (this was the odd one out in that it came out with a pre kinect dash and can be played without issue on those).
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Need for Speed: Hot pursuit

Second kinect dash added
Halo reach
COD Black ops
COD Modern Warfare 2

MS however screwed up (or did not depending on how you might feel about their marketing/projections) and left some of the last beta dashboards of the kinect betas without ap2.5 but still able to play the latest games (at the time) so you could update to one of the compatible betas and play ap2.5 laden games along with the latest and greatest without either having to have one of the earlier drive models without it, a compatible hacked firmware or a JTAG system. This dropped the abililty to play on live but if you were banned it did not really matter.

There was however another proper revision of the kinect dash after the first and this one definitely carries support for ap2.5 .

Games also carry updates on disc although it usually takes a few months for things to catch up (sometimes less, sometimes more).
In the past there was some trouble with these updates appearing as bad discs to the hacked firmwares (which at the time had a measure of protection). Each change to these update sections became known as a wave (at present we are on 11 but do not read too much into the actual numbers). http://abgx360.net/verified.php lists what wave a game is. Changing the wave of a disc (a very silly thing to do if you want to avoid being banned) is known as wave patching.
We are now just starting to see games carry and use/require this latest kinect dash or newer (dragon age 2 being an example of this) at least on non JTAG systems which is what caused this newest round of troubles.

JTAG and these updates.
I know this is not what you asked but I am going to cover it as the issue is twofold and you might have seen some JTAG related discussion on it.
AP2.5 is able to be removed with hacks to the system as well so that was not an issue, this is an dashboard versioning issue that hit at the same time (same cause - different issues).

Nearly all JTAG consoles (certainly the ones that play recent games) use a rebooter to appear to use the latest dash at the time. Each new dash that comes out has to be hacked (sometimes completely new hacks but other times just ports of existing hacks).
At present though the main go to dash with the abilities desired is based on the first kinect dash (the second one now has a rebooter version but it has very serious limitations like not being able to use the program dashlaunch which is not good as dashlaunch is almost mandatory for all the nice things JTAG machines can do beyond just running games and homebrew) so workarounds were needed.
The way most JTAG users do it is to wave patch their game or remove the update section of the game from the iso when extracting or converting it then patch the version checks in the game (either manually, with a 360 side program or use dashlaunch (newer versions added the ability- there is nothing wrong with the newest so grab that) to patch the dash to remove the version checks).

Regular hacked DVD drive owners-
AP2.5 was counteracted by an update to the hacked firmware. This is where it gets a bit complex

After the last banning wave in 2009 came a totally redone hacked firmware known as "LT", it did however come at the cost of needing all games to use a method known as splitvid (short version- DVD video sections on each layer not simply assumed to be redirected but actually there). A simple thing to do but as many had a huge legacy collection of games (the method has been around for quite a while but not all games would have used it) and you can not reburn a burned disc....
For banned people this was no issue- they carried on as before (a hacked version of the old ixtreme 1.6 line appeared known as 1.6NS which was wonderful and had no protections at all (no future wave issues) and if AP2.5 had not appeared would have been deemed future proof for those with offline or banned consoles).
LT appeared before ap2.5 and was caught out by ap2.5 . A newer version called LT+ appeared but along with it you also needed to patch the games that have ap 2.5 to use the newest security emulation known as SSv3 (see part a couple of lines back about not being able to reburn a burned disc but that is less troubling).

It seems more than a few people opted to use the kinect beta workaround (links elsewhere but in general you bodged a kinect beta install and wave patched your games to avoid updates taking you past the beta) and as the newer games require a new version of the dashboard far beyond the kinect beta which has AP2.5 and will refuse to run unless you are at the version it wants you need to update to play them and that is why you lose the ability to play those 6 games mentioned earlier (presumably a few more at some point as well- we just saw the newest need for speed game earlier today).

ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the long post.

Well, I spent two hours with Dragon Age 2 and so far everything works fine. Saving, loading, importing the saves from the original game... All can be done easily. Truth be told I did have trouble loading a certain save, but fortunately there was an autosave made - and my Linux bitched about the flashdrive too, so my guess is the problem lies with the stick itself.

So basically it looks possible to keep running the beta dash and play the six AP-games, and play Dragon Age as well.

QUOTE said:
It might still update some things behind the scenes.

Not arguing with that, who knows what these new games do. I guess time will tell.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seem to have no problem with Dragon Age 2. I didn't even update via the game. I updated via Xbox Live, and all games still work.

Edit: FAST you remind me of someone I contacted to help me get my dvd key off my broken Hitachi Drive.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"It might still update some things behind the scenes."

I was thinking more the time I stuck an old hard drive on my machine I was saving for JTAG (it was a nice Jasper machine) and it updated it past the point of no return simply by having the hard drive on there (no new games played, not that there were at the time, just an updated hard drive).

Anyhow the only thing you "lose" for updating to a newer dash on a standard DVD hacked drive is those 6 games unless you update to LT+ and burn the games with SSv3 in which case you lose nothing.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
"It might still update some things behind the scenes."

I was thinking more the time I stuck an old hard drive on my machine I was saving for JTAG (it was a nice Jasper machine) and it updated it past the point of no return simply by having the hard drive on there (no new games played, not that there were at the time, just an updated hard drive).

Anyhow the only thing you "lose" for updating to a newer dash on a standard DVD hacked drive is those 6 games unless you update to LT+ and burn the games with SSv3 in which case you lose nothing.
I'm still on 1.51 and those games still work for me.

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
Duskye said:

I'm also still on 1.51.
I just patch the wave to wave 3, do you do the same and are you also banned?

Just curious how this would work if one updates to the new dash and is on 1.51, are there any consequences?

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The_Hulkster said:
Duskye said:

I'm also still on 1.51.
I just patch the wave to wave 3, do you do the same and are you also banned?

Just curious how this would work if one updates to the new dash and is on 1.51, are there any consequences?
None that I know of. I stay off Xbox Live most of the time. And I don't patch waves. I run them through ABGX and burn.

And I have no problems.

The only consequence is you'll probably get banned with 1.51 more quickly than if you're on LT+. But since I don't use Live, I don't have to update really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo