Downloading Updates from Nintendo's Servers

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Anorhc, Mar 27, 2009.

Mar 27, 2009
  1. Anorhc
    OP

Member Anorhc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's just a simple question, but it might go through some full blown discussions.

We all know that many of the downgrading efforts are in part of patching miscellaneous IOS's and downloading the actual files from Nintendo's servers to install on the Wii. However, if Nintendo really wanted to stop this from occurring, why can't they just not host any of previous firmware updates?

I mean, I know it probably won't stop people from hosting it on their own servers (is that even legal?), but from what I've seen, the downgraders that are currently out utilizes Nintendo's servers.

2. icefireicefire

Member icefireicefire GBATemp Fails.

United States
    Because they want to let us [​IMG]. really, its not needed, we can always have it extract from games.

3. fogbank

Member fogbank GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Almost everything that is online can be taken off of game discs anyway, officially signed and packed into WADs.

There are a few exceptions (IOS4, IOS51, etc...), but most are easily obtainable.

EDIT: a little too slow on the reply [​IMG]

4. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Because most IOS aren't downloaded in a single update. All of the IOS that are up can and still are used by anyone/everyone... the only thing that is really a surprise they keep up are the system menus... and for that I don't have a good reason [​IMG]