Hacking Downgraded New 3DS XL to 9.2, a bit confused with some steps.

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using this video's tutorial:

I'm going to install RXTools instead of Reinand since RXTools 3.0 released, but the files from that video are a bit different from RXtools.

1. "If you set up a fresh microSD, you need to rebuild the database now. Go to System Settings, Data Management, Nintendo 3DS, Software. It will show a warning that the database files are corrupt and need to be rebuilt. Do this and exit System settings."

Is this step necessary? I'll be losing all my games right? How do I get them back if this is required?

2. Using that tutorial, how do I install rxtools instead of Reinand? Does this tutorial even work for rxtools? (Seeing that he is using "Brahma2Loader REINand Hax 2.0 boot" file)

3. I also tried to dump my sysnand before setting up emunand and all that other stuff. The option says "Dump sysnand to file" instead of NAND.bin, so I decided to play safe and ask you guys first. Is it the same thing?

Sorry if the questions are nooby, I've only recently downgraded my 3DS, so I don't know much about this.

Last edited by Ichigo1000,

KingxHyruler

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using this video's tutorial:

I'm going to install RXTools instead of Reinand since RXTools 3.0 released, but the files from that video are a bit different from RXtools.

1. "If you set up a fresh microSD, you need to rebuild the database now. Go to System Settings, Data Management, Nintendo 3DS, Software. It will show a warning that the database files are corrupt and need to be rebuilt. Do this and exit System settings."

Is this step necessary? I'll be losing all my games right? How do I get them back if this is required?

2. Using that tutorial, how do I install rxtools instead of Reinand? Does this tutorial even work for rxtools? (Seeing that he is using "Brahma2Loader REINand Hax 2.0 boot" file)

3. I also tried to dump my sysnand before setting up emunand and all that other stuff. The option says "Dump sysnand to file" instead of NAND.bin, so I decided to play safe and ask you guys first. Is it the same thing?

Sorry if the questions are nooby, I've only recently downgraded my 3DS, so I don't know much about this.

1)yes this will help you down the line if you want to install cia files on CFW or emunand

2)You're honestly better off using ReiNand as it can support up to 10.5 on emunand (Eshop acess)

3)if you have a NAND.bin you're good

I just did this today and I'm loving it so far, trust me go with ReiNAnd.

I used this guide

Last edited by KingxHyruler,

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1)yes this will help you down the line if you want to install cia files on CFW or emunand

2)You're honestly better off using ReiNand as it can support up to 10.5 on emunand (Eshop acess)

3)if you have a NAND.bin you're good

I just did this today and I'm loving it so far, trust me go with ReiNAnd.

I used this guide

The thing I'm confused with is, what is a "fresh" microsd card?

Also, rxtools has 10.5 support now also, which is why i want to try it out.

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need this dbs part, for me it worked without it. A fresh sd is a formated sd and with the necessary files for downgrade on it.
Err still a bit confused. I recently did change my 4GB sd card to a 32GB, but I copied all the files over. Everything works as if I've never changed it though. Does that count as a fresh microsd? I changed my sd before downgrading.

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

suhaib10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you copied files over(had games/databse) I don't think you need to do that step. Its only necessary if you have a clean sd, since FBI and others will not be able to install any cias due to missing Database. Too lazy to watch the whole video

Edit: Quick mini guide.
1. Backup Sd before creating emunand as it will reset it.
2. Copy stuff back to sd once emunand is created.
3. Unlink nands (though you don't have to it makes life much easier) (also remove your sd when formatting it)
4. Profit???

Last edited by suhaib10,

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that's a good video guide. Definitely follow the guide, but ignore the step about restoring the corrupt data or back up your files before doing it.

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you copied files over(had games/databse) I don't think you need to do that step. Its only necessary if you have a clean sd, since FBI and others will not be able to install any cias due to missing Database. Too lazy to watch the whole video

Edit: Quick mini guide.
1. Backup Sd before creating emunand as it will reset it.
2. Copy stuff back to sd once emunand is created.
3. Unlink nands (though you don't have to it makes life much easier) (also remove your sd when formatting it)
4. Profit???
Format? So all my data will be on only emunand? What if, let's say that i wasn't too stop using cfw, and want to update. Is it possible to transfer emunand back to sysnand?

Most importantly, is it possible to unlink without formating or atleast keeping the data in sysnand?

suhaib10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No just your sd will be formatted since its going to create a new hidden partition which will be you emunand, thats why back it up. Your emunand will be a clone of your sysnand and will be linked anything you do on emunand will also happen on your sysnand.

Not quite sure if you can inject emunand into sysnand

Unlinking will separate you emunand and sysnand, it will be like having two separate 3dses.

This might help clear things up a bit : https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-the-emunand-save-data-mega-guide-gbatemp-doesnt-deserve.378491/

Sorry I cant explain too well. Maybe someone else can explain better

Last edited by suhaib10,

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Format? So all my data will be on only emunand? What if, let's say that i wasn't too stop using cfw, and want to update. Is it possible to transfer emunand back to sysnand?

Most importantly, is it possible to unlink without formating or atleast keeping the data in sysnand?
Your SysNAND will be wiped and you'll have all your stuff in EmuNAND. This is a good thing though. I was like you when I first did it. If you want to you can format your EmuNAND instead to unlink them, and you'll still have your SysNAND intact, but as I'll explain below, there's no reason to do so.

Trust me, you'll never want to go back to not using EmuNAND, but even if you do, you have your SysNAND backed up (or at least you should if you've downgraded). There's literally no reason to go back. EmuNAND and CFW isn't necessarily a piracy & free shit thing, but a way to be more in control of our systems and actually utilize them. For example if you have a New 3DS, with CFW and homebrew you can force games to run on the New 3DS processor clock speed which can make some games way better, such as games that have really low framerate like Senran Kagura.

Last edited by Shadowfied,
Reactions: Sev501 and suhaib10

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your SysNAND will be wiped and you'll have all your stuff in EmuNAND. This is a good thing though. I was like you when I first did it. If you want to you can format your EmuNAND instead to unlink them, and you'll still have your SysNAND intact, but as I'll explain below, there's no reason to do so.

Trust me, you'll never want to go back to not using EmuNAND, but even if you do, you have your SysNAND backed up (or at least you should if you've downgraded). There's literally no reason to go back. EmuNAND and CFW isn't necessarily a piracy & free shit thing, but a way to be more in control of our systems and actually utilize them. For example if you have a New 3DS, with CFW and homebrew you can force games to run on the New 3DS processor clock speed which can make some games way better, such as games that have really low framerate like Senran Kagura.
Oh, is it possible to boot right into emunand by default?

Should i backup sysnand before setting up emunand? I assume i still have to do something before backing up, because the option says "dump sysnand to file" instead of "dump sysnand to nand.bin".

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, is it possible to boot right into emunand by default?

Should i backup sysnand before setting up emunand? I assume i still have to do something before backing up, because the option says "dump sysnand to file" instead of "dump sysnand to nand.bin".
Yeah you can boot straight into EmuNAND.

If you're on 9.2, the absolutely first thing you NEED to do is backup your SysNAND. It may sound exaggerated, but a SysNAND backup is ONLY key to recovery if you brick your system (unless you have a brick soft enough to still let you use recovery mode) - the system will only accept your unique NAND, that's why it's so very important to have a backup of your SysNAND, and I'm not joking when I tell you that people TREASURE their NAND backups. I've heard of people who keep 10 copies of it, even a copy on an SD card in their wallet.
Use EmuNAND9 (Dump SysNAND to file / bin whatever) or the Gateway Menu (backup system nand) and then stash that NAND.bin file somewhere safe.

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you can boot straight into EmuNAND.

If you're on 9.2, the absolutely first thing you NEED to do is backup your SysNAND. It may sound exaggerated, but a SysNAND backup is ONLY key to recovery if you brick your system (unless you have a brick soft enough to still let you use recovery mode) - the system will only accept your unique NAND, that's why it's so very important to have a backup of your SysNAND, and I'm not joking when I tell you that people TREASURE their NAND backups. I've heard of people who keep 10 copies of it, even a copy on an SD card in their wallet.
Use EmuNAND9 (Dump SysNAND to file / bin whatever) or the Gateway Menu (backup system nand) and then stash that NAND.bin file somewhere safe.
Thanks. I guess I'll format my sysnand then. Is there anyway to transfer atleast some files back to sysnand? Like activity log, etc.

Also what do you use to boot into emunand by default? By default i meant it will automatically boot into emunand upon pushing the power button. I see some people use menuhax instead.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. I guess I'll format my sysnand then. Is there anyway to transfer atleast some files back to sysnand? Like activity log, etc.

Also what do you use to boot into emunand by default? By default i meant it will automatically boot into emunand upon pushing the power button. I see some people use menuhax instead.
I personally don't know what you can move over as I haven't messed with it and have no intention of doing so.

You must use MenuHax regardless. In order to autoboot your EmuNAND you'll need to use CtrBootManager or BootCtr. Personally I've only used CtrBootManager and I'm happy with it so I'm sticking with it, I'm sure BootCtr is awesome as well though.

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally don't know what you can move over as I haven't messed with it and have no intention of doing so.

You must use MenuHax regardless. In order to autoboot your EmuNAND you'll need to use CtrBootManager or BootCtr. Personally I've only used CtrBootManager and I'm happy with it so I'm sticking with it, I'm sure BootCtr is awesome as well though.
Oh.. So i need menuhax in order to use the boot manager?

The only thing now i need to know is how do i install rxtools using that video tutorial? The files that come with rxtools seems to be way different from reinand.

Oh and i have one more question. I read from some tutorial that there will be a 3d glitch every time you boot. Is that true, and isn't it bothersome?

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh.. So i need menuhax in order to use the boot manager?

The only thing now i need to know is how do i install rxtools using that video tutorial? The files that come with rxtools seems to be way different from reinand.

Oh and i have one more question. I read from some tutorial that there will be a 3d glitch every time you boot. Is that true, and isn't it bothersome?
Indeed you do.

Make sure you've grabbed the latest version. I'd recommend the beta 2 here. Put the Tools folder on your desktop or something. Put the folder called rxTools in the root of your SD card.
Inside the ninjhax folder, put that rxTools folder in your 3ds folder on the SD card.

Open the Tools folder that you put on your computer, run the n3ds_cdn_firm.py (you need python installed). This will generate a folder called firm, put this inside the rxTools folder in the root of your SD.

You're also gonna need key_0x1B.bin and key_0x16.bin which I have PM'd you.

Now try opening rxTools from the HB Loader :)

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed you do.

Make sure you've grabbed the latest version. I'd recommend the beta 2 here. Put the Tools folder on your desktop or something. Put the folder called rxTools in the root of your SD card.
Inside the ninjhax folder, put that rxTools folder in your 3ds folder on the SD card.

Open the Tools folder that you put on your computer, run the n3ds_cdn_firm.py (you need python installed). This will generate a folder called firm, put this inside the rxTools folder in the root of your SD.

You're also gonna need key_0x1B.bin and key_0x16.bin which I have PM'd you.

Now try opening rxTools from the HB Loader :)
"3D is not working in EmuNAND!
It is perfectly normal that 3D has a bug in EmuNAND, which shows you two offset images instead of a 3D image. This happens everytime you start your N3DS after it was completely shut down. Just close and open the lid of your N3DS once and it's fixed."

Regarding the 3d bug, do i have to experience this every time i boot?

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
"3D is not working in EmuNAND!
It is perfectly normal that 3D has a bug in EmuNAND, which shows you two offset images instead of a 3D image. This happens everytime you start your N3DS after it was completely shut down. Just close and open the lid of your N3DS once and it's fixed."

Regarding the 3d bug, do i have to experience this every time i boot?
You'll have to close and open the lid on each fresh EmuNAND boot yes.

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll have to close and open the lid on each fresh EmuNAND boot yes.
Seems like I ran into a problem. Upon trying to dump ny sysnand, it says "Could not create nand.bin" and "Dumping sysnand failed" or something. My 32GB micro sd is already formatted to FAT32. Whats the problem?

If that info is necessary, at the bottom of Emunand9, it also says:
-EmuNAND: SD not ready
-SD storage: unknown filesystem

I tried reformatting the sd card multiple times, with different allocation sizes, and with the guiformat tool. But it still doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Seems like I ran into a problem. Upon trying to dump ny sysnand, it says "Could not create nand.bin" and "Dumping sysnand failed" or something. My 32GB micro sd is already formatted to FAT32. Whats the problem?

If that info is necessary, at the bottom of Emunand9, it also says:
-EmuNAND: SD not ready
-SD storage: unknown filesystem

I tried reformatting the sd card multiple times, with different allocation sizes, and with the guiformat tool. But it still doesn't seem to solve the problem.
That'd odd. Try dumping with the Gateway Menu instead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @btjunior, you act like if you were about 10