'Doom Eternal' Nintendo Switch release date announced

DOOM Eternal.JPG
It's taken some time but DOOM Eternal is finally coming to the Nintendo Switch. This version was announced back in 2018 but while the PC, Xbox One and PS4 versions released in March 2020, the Switch version faced some delays. Even after Microsoft's acquisition of ZeniMax Media, the parent company of Bethesda Softworks and id Software, the Switch version was nowhere in sight; until today. Nintendo made the release date announcement via a new trailer released a few hours ago:

DOOM Eternal comes to Nintendo Switch next week on December 8. If you want an idea as to what to expect of the game before it releases, be sure to check out our full review of the PS4 version which received a 9/10 score.

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: DOOM Eternal Official GBAtemp Review

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It definitely doesn't look amazing, but the footage is pretty impressive considering how weak the switch is. I'd say it actually looks better than late xbox 360 titles.

Indeed but think about it.. If Nintendo Switch released during PS3/X360 time then it would be huge competitive and Nintendo Switch would be the best system out there. Now, its tool late.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wonder if Nintendo is ever going to go toe to toe with its competitors in terms of hardware capabilities. The 'as long as it's fun' motto is kinda getting old at this point.

Every generation there's some random person saying exactly that.
Yet people still remember and enjoy games from the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii era. And yet hardly anybody is talking about games anymore that once defined the boundaries of what was possible in graphics. Remember what a masterpiece Black for the PS2 and the original Xbox was? Or Ryse: Son of Rome? Or Driveclub? Neither do I. Realistic graphics are and will always be inferior to a good art style and compelling gameplay.

Indeed but think about it.. If Nintendo Switch released during PS3/X360 time then it would be huge competitive and Nintendo Switch would be the best system out there. Now, its tool late.

Oof. And guess what it would have cost if it came out back then. Did you ever consider that there is a possibility that a system like the Nintendo Switch just wasn't practical until it actually came out?

Last edited by Axido,

RobXcore

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Every generation there's some random person saying exactly that.
Yet people still remember and enjoy games from the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii era. And yet hardly anybody is talking about games anymore that once defined the boundaries of what was possible in graphics. Remember what a masterpiece Black for the PS2 and the original Xbox was? Or Ryse: Son of Rome? Or Driveclub? Neither do I. Realistic graphics are and will always be inferior to a good art style and compelling gameplay.

That's true. But you're talking about games built from the ground up, in which indeed, graphics matter little to nothing. In this case however, we're talking about ports. Porting games and downgrading their graphics to be able to run in the system is a huge turnoff.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder if Nintendo is ever going to go toe to toe with its competitors in terms of hardware capabilities. The 'as long as it's fun' motto is kinda getting old at this point.

Doubtful, especially with the Switch/lite format at the price they’re selling for.

I know there are rumours of a 4k Switch, but I’d be surprised if that’s still not the equivalent of being a gen behind native rendering wise, just upscaling most games.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well ... yay on one part. It's amazing seeing it run on Nintendo Switch.
But seeing as the physical version is not coming, this was delayed for way too long.
And the fact that I am also in the market for an Xbox Series X .... I think I might just be better of getting it on there.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yeah because in 2005 quad core arm cpus were so easy and cheap running at 1ghz in mobile devices without melting them...
oh wait they didnt exist yet...(a this speeds or even close)

seriously 2005 only had flip phones and querty keyboard phones running on single core tiny mhz cpus

Seriously sometimes people say the stupidest things, there wasnt even tek available to release a portable console with this much cpu/gpu combo on the market the best available cpus for portable devices were 250-350mhz and single core ones at that...

its like saying if your smartphone was released when color phones started to appear it would be king... No shit Sherlock.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Unpopular opinion, but I am excited for this because I wanted it i my switch. I don’t have a decent enough computer to play it on and I am not home enough to play it on my PS4. So the Switch is kind of my best option to enjoy this game. Before anyone comes in with “But FPS” or “buy a better laptop,” I am very poor and busy, so my limits are buy it for the Switch.

Last edited by The Catboy,

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unpopular opinion, but I am excited for this because I wanted it i my switch. I don’t have a decent enough computer to play it on and I am not home enough to play it on my PS4. So the Switch is kind of my best option to enjoy this game. Before anyone comes in with “But FPS” or “buy a better laptop,” I am very poor and busy, so my limits are buy it for the Switch.

I'm hyped for it - and I have a laptop that can play it at 4k, along with a 4k tv.

I'm just on the computer all day for work and school so when I'm done I don't want to be sitting there anymore. I'd much rather play it on the switch.

deSSy2724

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Funny how PS1 and PS2 were never the strongest consoles in its gen, N64 and 1st Xbox were stronger, superior for the most part.....

Its not that Sony was always on "top", honestly, MS consoles were the only "high end consoles" since the 1st Xbox (sometimes 2nd place very close to 1st place, sometimes 1st place) if we speak about pure raw power.

BTW Cell was a "powerhouse" CPU but way overhyped and overpriced (selling at a huge loss because of it) and actually not meant for games (thats why they bought thousands of it for "supercomputer" use) and games were hard to develop for. Same/similar how ASIC miners etc. are/were good for mining but not the best for other tasks....

Thats why they developed the games 1st for Xbox360 and later ported to PS3/PC, not to mention that 90% multiplatform games performed better on X360 compared to PS3. There are multiple proofs (comparisons) and interviews (developers) which proves it.....

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Funny how PS1 and PS2 were never the strongest consoles in its gen, N64 and 1st Xbox were stronger, superior for the most part.....

Its not that Sony was always on "top", honestly, MS consoles were the only "high end consoles" since the 1st Xbox (sometimes 2nd place very close to 1st place, sometimes 1st place) if we speak about pure raw power.

BTW Cell was a "powerhouse" CPU but way overhyped and overpriced (selling at a huge loss because of it) and actually not meant for games (thats why they bought thousands of it for "supercomputer" use) and games were hard to develop for. Same/similar how ASIC miners etc. are/were good for mining but not the best for other tasks....

Thats why they developed the games 1st for Xbox360 and later ported to PS3/PC, not to mention that 90% multiplatform games performed better on X360 compared to PS3. There are multiple proofs (comparisons) and interviews (developers) which proves it.....
xbox360 also got games developed first for it for a single reason it came out a whooping 1 year before the ps3, so most developers had 1 year of learning next gen on xbox360 way ahead of time, so by the time the ps3 released they had almost mastered the xbox360 codding and were much more confortable codding on xbox360 while they were still looking at notes on ps3 unique architecture.

1 year head start for a new system with unique architectures is a long time specially for developers. that is the main reason most devs just coded for xbox360 first and then ported to ps3, even then ps3 exclusives were better than xbox360 exclusives technically speaking.

while original xbox had way better specs than the other 2 games were only marginally better if at that, because they were mostly ports of the ps2 which was the go to console to start developing the multiplatform games because it came out way before the xbox and the gc and was selling really well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0