Doom 64 EX port

Doom 64 EX is a reverse-engineering project aimed to recreate Doom64 as close as possible with additional modding features.

Github repo: /fgsfdsfgs/Doom64EX
Latest version: 0.2.0 (Oct 23, 2019)
Download link
https://github.com/fgsfdsfgs/Doom64EX/releases/tag/v0.1.0-nx
2018100817172200-DA63280140B1530CD17755515D814CFE.jpg

2018100817171500-DA63280140B1530CD17755515D814CFE.jpg

2018100817173000-DA63280140B1530CD17755515D814CFE.jpg

Features:
  • hardware accelerated rendering;
  • sound and music;
  • analog controls;
  • all other features of Doom 64 EX probably work (except network games).

To install and run the game, follow these steps:
  1. Obtain a Doom 64 ROM in either n64, z64 or v64 format. I think region and version do not matter, as long as the ROM is unmodified.
  2. Extract the wadgen folder from doom64ex_nx_v010.zip to somewhere on your PC.
  3. Run wadgen/WadGen.exe and point it to your Doom 64 ROM. This should generate two files inside the wadgen folder: DOOM64.WAD and DOOMSND.SF2.
  4. Extract the switch folder from doom64ex_nx_v010.zip to the root of your SD card.
  5. Copy DOOM64.WAD and DOOMSND.SF2 you got in step 3 to /switch/doom64ex/ on your SD card.
If you already have Doom 64 EX installed on your PC or something, you can just do steps 4 and 5 right away, using the files from your existing installation.

Some notes:
  • sometimes the music skips a little bit and/or channels go out of sync for a moment, this is most noticeable in the intro;
  • as usual, if you have exFAT, better quit the game using the "Quit Game" option in the menu instead of just killing hbmenu;
  • I have only tested this on a US v1.1 Z64 ROM, not sure if every ROM out there works, but most should.

Credits:
  • Samuel Villarreal (svkaiser) and others for Doom 64 EX;
  • fincs, Armada651, Subv and probably others for their work on the OpenGL/mesa/libdrm stuff;
  • Midway Games and Nintendo for Doom 64;
  • id Software for Doom.

Attachments

• doom64ex_nx_v010.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 209
Last edited by fgsfds,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I think Digital Foundry claimed that Nerve Software were behind the new ports, which is strange as their ports are usually high quality.

I’ll be buying Doom 64 from eShop yet still use this. We can have both.

Baq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oooo thanks i Will check this out tommorow
Couldn't figure it out. :)
Got the gzdoom working with doom I and II but brutal and 64 retribution crashes. I Think it has something to do with memory limitation when runnin from homebrew loucher intead of nsp file. Got to try compile hblouncher to nsp through nro2nsp. Dont no if im thinking the right way

fgsfds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
There is already NSP hbmenu on this forum somewhere. If you're using Atmosphere you can also just override any game instead of the album.

Baq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There is already NSP hbmenu on this forum somewhere. If you're using Atmosphere you can also just override any game instead of the album.
Thax for help, Yes im using atmosphere bit how to do it? When i click on another game pressing R like on the album choosen game just stars as normal. Mayby i have old system or im doig something wrong?

Dutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thax for help, Yes im using atmosphere bit how to do it? When i click on another game pressing R like on the album choosen game just stars as normal. Mayby i have old system or im doig something wrong?
Hold R untill hbm loads

fgsfds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Looking at Bethesda's new trailer (featuring green blood and blue crosses on medkits) made me want to release an update, so here we go.

New version: v0.2.0. Changes:
  • backported proper gamepad code from the upstream rom branch, hopefully this will fix the movement issue;
  • rebuilt with latest libnx (9.0 support).
Download link is in the OP.
The new gamepad code has an amusing side effect: all button prompts feature Xbox button icons.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at Bethesda's new trailer (featuring green blood and blue crosses on medkits) made me want to release an update, so here we go.

New version: v0.2.0. Changes:
  • backported proper gamepad code from the upstream rom branch, hopefully this will fix the movement issue;
  • rebuilt with latest libnx (9.0 support).
Download link is in the OP.
The new gamepad code has an amusing side effect: all button prompts feature Xbox button icons.

Are they seriously going full 80's/90's Nintendo with the game!?

Never go full 80's/90's Nintendo!

fgsfds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
It might be a weird way of showing off that they have a version where this can be customized (i.e. they might be using Doom64EX, it has settings for blood color), it also might be just a crappy trailer made from an assortment of footage of the old versions of the game. That said, the blue crosses are likely going to stay, since they also removed the red crosses from all the other modern Doom ports.

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Is it because the blood's green in the trailer?

Is that it?

Because if so, I'm not seeing the outrage.
Considering the graphics haven't changed at all, and haven't with the original DOOM 64 EX port that was released, I think people are finding reason to be needlessly upset again.

fgsfds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Is what because the blood's green in the trailer? The port? No, I was making a joke.
UPD: It appears I was right about it being an in-game setting, since Night Dive appears to be behind the port, which means it's based on Doom64EX/Kex. Even now there is hope for man.

Last edited by fgsfds,
Reactions: cucholix

UltimateBagman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
I can't get this to run, the game crashes at the copyright screen and crashes my Switch with a 2168 0001 error I tried reinstalling it several times, tried several different versions of the rom, but the thing just doesn't work. Anything I can do about it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all