Hacking DONT BUY FREE AGENT DESKS

576ZR673tf

Anyway, I would say : Go Seagate Freeagent Go 320 GB in 2.5", it's perfect.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm i use Seagate for all my backup needs not just for the wii, i have two i actually bought just for the wii, one for backups the other for actual playing, no problems here, but i only mess with the 250GB versions Freeagent Go Portable

pembo

Trophies
XP
Country
Nemix77 said:
Those bashing WD are trolls with less than 5 posts each.

From experience and opinion:

1. Western Digital
2. Hitachi
3. Seagate/Maxtor
4. Samsung
5. Maxtor (before bought by Seagate)
6. IBM (deathstar)

1 = most prefered, 6 = least prefered

moogle.gif

And because I have less than 5 post that makes my point about a hard disk any any less valid and a troll post as opposed to someone who has 15 posts
lecture.gif

I have had 5 external usb hard disks within the past 2 years (4 x 3.5" ones and 1 x 2.5" one)
1 x Seagate
2 x Maxtor
2 x Western Digital

Of those, only the WD Mybook has failed, and it failed spectacularly.

This may be a one off, and I'm not by any means bashing WD - 50% of My WD drives are still working.

I should add that the WD Mybook was the most expensive of the hard drives I have had in terms of cost per GB and was the first to go!
The WD drive that is still working is a cheaper 'elements' drive.

My Seagate one isn't a freeagent - this is my oldest drive. Can't remember the name of it.

Skiller

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
its odd all of use using WBFS have had some kinda HDD error
Example my 4GB Usb stick that i used for a bit as my 1 game holder now has alot of Messed up Blocks on it. seems to be giving me huge problems . my HDD has yet to go .. its just Crazy. i dont think its WBFS its just odd .

DEagleson

Gamer Extraordinaire
Trophies
Website
raptr.com
XP
Country
Norway
Never had any problems with my Maxtor 640 GB 3'5 External HDD.
Its still going strong after 7 months.
smile.gif

Just bought a 1 TB Western Digital External HDD to replace the Maxtor one, and are now currently using Maxtor HDD for my massive Wii game collection of 59+ games.
Many of my friends own a Wii too and now we dont need to borrow discs for playing games. xD

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i got a wd mypassport 320gb despite what peeps say it's never slept once and works perfectly. must have gotten a fluke drive! it's only got 8 games installed on it that's all i need. really who needs 100 games installed anyway?!
tongue.gif

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had a maxtor one touch ultra mini III the 120 gig model and it worked for more than 3 years till i dropped it with the usb plug in it and it snapped the connector off.
the drive in side is a seagate momentus. 5400.3 120gb notebook drive so i'm just gonna buy a $10 enclosure off of newegg and keep using the drive if it still works, there is no reason it shouldn't.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
Mechanical Component In Sometimes Breaks After Short Period SHOCKER!

STOP THE PRESS!

Hard drives break. I run a computer shop and see a lot of it. Sometimes a drive will rumble on for years and years and years, never missing a beat. Sometimes they break after 3 days.

That's just the way it is with hard drives. They're a mechanical item with extremely fine tolerances, things go wrong sometimes.

heartsfan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nemix77 said:
Those bashing WD are trolls with less than 5 posts each.

From experience and opinion:

1. Western Digital
2. Hitachi
3. Seagate/Maxtor
4. Samsung
5. Maxtor (before bought by Seagate)
6. IBM (deathstar)

1 = most prefered, 6 = least prefered

moogle.gif

Ok ... WD My Book Essentials that lasted 2 days is the 1st External HDD I have ever owned BUT have been using PCs since 1995 ... internal drives I have had:

4 Samsungs
2 Maxtors
1 Hitachi
2 Seagates
1 IBM
1 WD (Current Internal HDD)

And NEVER had an Internal HHD fail on me EVER ...... but I do know its just your luck really.

dole

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rklamer said:
Don't curse the company when it's just a small percentage of units. All hard drives die at some point -- none of them live forever. If it has a warranty, who cares? Just send it back. I recommend FreeAgents to everyone who asks about it, and I will continue to do so.

My FreeAgent works just fine, too. This topic fails.

Every drive dies. Not every drive truly lives.

Seriously, I've had a drive from about every major maker fail on me, so I think it's really all hit or miss except for the few with inherent design flaws... like these, or the oldschool class-actioned IBM Deskstars. The last big drive to fail on me recently was a WD 160GB, so I'd bought into the hope that WD were better drives at the time but it literally lasted under a year with regular use.

I bought a returned 320GB FreeAgent from Wallymart about two years ago, usually unplug it when not in use but recently left it hooked for a few weeks. I'm not constantly hammering it or using it, either, though, but it's been at 80-90% capacity the entire time. Guess I've just been lucky. Does reiterate the fact that I need another drive to back my pr0n up to :B

SublimeAndEtc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like the moral of the story in this thread is... never buy an external hard drive? Western Digital and Seagate are two of the most reputable companies out there and offer all the warranty you'll need. There isn't much to complain about, even if one does happen to die. Just think about what you're dealing with and how it's probably not the rarest occasion in the world when a piece isn't manufactured properly and things malfunction. That's what the warranty is for.

*snip

bugaveli

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
every retailer HAS to pay a certain price to carry a certain brand.... EXCEPT wal mart, they say "Well we are everywhere USA and youd be stupid not to be carried here, so we will tell you the price were going to pay". Therefore companies say "Well if we dont get carried in wal mart we lose sales, so I guess Ill sell you my hard drives for that price....... Hey Jed, send the half assed ones to wal-mart, so we dont have to throw them away" I know this as I have worked for 2 different companies that ship different lower quality products to wal-mart than they do EVERYONE else. So dont blame WD, blame Monopoly-Mart

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bladexdsl said:
from what iv'e heard freeagent go are good cos they don't have spindown issues unlike wd. you must have just bought a dud it happens you know.
Toshiba are good too. Since those also don't have a spindown issue...

No problem at all!
Never had one at least...

Tests done by me:
(From some others I heard the same result.)

Left Toshiba 640GB PX1393E-2G32 on for more than 30 minutes in Wii-Menu on a game.
No freeze / spin down shiz..

Left Toshiba 640GB PX1393E-2G32 on for more than 30 minutes in Game doing nothing.
No freeze / spin down shiz..

And it does have a Power on and off switch.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.