don't buy it from amazon anymore than
tongue.gif

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Fat Cow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
7200rpm 3.5" HDD in an enclosure with no active cooling is asking for trouble, I would ony buy 2.5" ones because they produce significantly less heat.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was just gonna ask this board if Free Agent was a good brand, because they look sexy and are fucking expensive, so I figured they must be good. But apparently they fail for running Wii backups and that's all I needed to know.

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eagle687 said:
I am very happy with my Freeagent. Don't tell people to 'not buy' something basing on ur one and only experience. It's no useful message.
Uh... Care to look at my link two posts above yours?

And it's not just Amazon.

Innovative1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine works fine and it was only 80 bucks for a 500GB. I have like 82 games on it and have it partitioned with a 30GB FAT32 partition. I have read reports of it failing before they changed the light in the front to a LED. Apparently they used to use a bulb. Anyway, heat will kill your drive. I have copied my games off and back on twice (6 hours each) and reformatted without failure. My boss just bought a WD 1TB last Friday and it died Sunday. So I think many hard drives die...it just happens. Hit and miss if you ask me.

rklamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't curse the company when it's just a small percentage of units. All hard drives die at some point -- none of them live forever. If it has a warranty, who cares? Just send it back. I recommend FreeAgents to everyone who asks about it, and I will continue to do so.

My FreeAgent works just fine, too. This topic fails.

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rklamer said:
Don't curse the company when it's just a small percentage of units. All hard drives die at some point -- none of them live forever. If it has a warranty, who cares? Just send it back. I recommend FreeAgents to everyone who asks about it, and I will continue to do so.

My FreeAgent works just fine, too. This topic fails.
Yeah, well its worse when it overheats and dies 20 mins out of the box. I'm not putting down Seagate though, maybe its just with this model.

D

Deleted User

heartsfan said:
djricekcn said:
Seagate use to be good but now Western Digital is better.

Funny you should say that ..... bought a WD My Book Essential 1TB on friday ...... by sunday it was dead!!! lol
wow are you serious 2 days lol ? WD must be bad then

duros

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have 2 500gb freeagent drives. One I have had for at least 6 months. the other 2-4. (both bought from newegg)

No problems whatsoever.

My old Seagate pocket 5GB is still working fine and i've had that for a few years now.

If your junk is from Amazon.. that could be your problem right thur. Probably refurbished or bootleg from Nigeria or Zambooki...!

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Those bashing WD are trolls with less than 5 posts each.

From experience and opinion:

1. Western Digital
2. Hitachi
3. Seagate/Maxtor
4. Samsung
5. Maxtor (before bought by Seagate)
6. IBM (deathstar)

1 = most prefered, 6 = least prefered

moogle.gif

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had a WD drive go bad on me once. Sectors started dying, so my guess is one of the heads failed. That was 7 years ago now. I've had WD drives exclusively since 2000 and that was the only failure, and to be honest it might have even been my fault or a faulty drive controller (it was a new motherboard that I also sent back under warranty).

I think this is just one of those situations where the only people that talk are those that have bad things to say.

Kind of like: When was the last time you heard a good review of cell phone company customer service?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hooya said:
Blah blah blah....

Kind of like: When was the last time you heard a good review of cell phone company customer service?

Ok I got it, so maybe I have to buy the HDD right freaking now, so I can test is intensely before flying back to Mexico and loose any kind of warranty...!!
mthrnitesmiley.gif

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
duros said:
If your junk is from Amazon.. that could be your problem right thur. Probably refurbished or bootleg from Nigeria or Zambooki...!
Nah Amazon isn't the problem. You can check reviews at other places too. And refurb units should probably last longer since they test and make sure they actually work instead of throwing them right into the box in production.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1