Hacking Doing a New G6 Lite interface

alvinblank

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I love the G6 Lite, but the interface could still need some tweaking. For me, for one I don't need/like the PDA function and actually any other crap other that the ability to run homebrew that was provided by G6. So I was thinking maybe a G6 Lite Lite interface. Like in the past, Kazaa without the crap = Kazaa Lite.

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well the menus are barely on the screen anyway. And if you just format ur g6 and then reinstall firmware it's all good. However you won't be able to touch anything about the GBA section (except maybe that icon thing) and you might be able to change background of NDS menu.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are the options in the GBA menu where you hit the green box in the top right and it has about 9 different startup styles? I've tried changing it and don't notice any difference!

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What are the options in the GBA menu where you hit the green box in the top right and it has about 9 different startup styles? I've tried changing it and don't notice any difference!

I'd have to check later to be sure, but I believe that's how many games (w/ title screens) it would list in the menu at once.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks. I didn't try changing those until after I set it to not display the screenshots so I guess that's why I didn't notice any difference. The screen shots would be cool but most of the games I add come up with the ugly generic screen.

Update: I tried changing these settings with screen shots enabled and still saw no difference between the settings.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm also interested as to whether a third-party could write their own loader for G6. I'm not sure how easy it would be, though. Although they've apparently released their FAT libraries, you would also need to find out how to read/write the SRAM, and how to get your code into the hidden 16MB flash. It would be great if it could be done, though.

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
That would rule if a 3rd party wrote their own loader.

The G6's interface is godawful. I mean, jeez, these engineers really need to hire a designer or even an NDS/L enthusiast to help them.

happy.gif

inter4ever

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is it really that bad,in the review they said that the interface was great and from the photos it looks great.Is that because its responsiveness is low?Or is it because moving between games is slower than other products(If its about skinning then come on people its designed for you to choose a game to play not tostare on it for the whole day).

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The interface is great. I would like the ability to put my own background image on there but it's fine the way it is. The GBA interface is kinda crappy though.

Drucifer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yup, like the above poster mentioned the only thing I don't like about the interface is the GBA mode. Other than that though it is great.
yaynds.gif

pubjoe

Trophies
XP
Country
The G6-lite interface is the best out of a bad bunch. It's pretty good, but I would prefer a nice simple clone of the DS menu, it would be easy to mimik the graphics.

I would love to create a skin for this, but afaik, only the GBA and media sections of the g6 lite interface is skinnable.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
The current G6 loaders for NDS mode and GBA mode are pretty good. I've never used any other flash cart to compare, although I have used plenty of Xbox 'dashboards' which are similar in nature.

However, they are not perfect. Regarding the NDS loader:

1, If you scroll down with the D-pad to the second or third 'page', then press up, it goes up a full screen, not just one line.

2, No autorepeat if you hold up or down on the D-pad, making it slow to choose the rom you want if you have a lot of them listed.

3, General slow screen update when drawing/scrolling the menu (the DS has got more power than this!)

4, No auto-sorting of the roms on the loader itself (although you can use FATsort on a PC to do this).

With the GBA loader, I dislike the fact that you have to control a mouse-style pointer on the screen to make selections. I'd rather than D-pad moved from one rom to the next instantly, stepwise.

Plus there are improvements that could be made to loading, as I've mentioned in my Improving the save system thread.

Still, I don't want to turn this into a moan-fest at the G6 team, rather have this as something positive for third-parties to work towards.

richardfong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would love to create a skin for this, but afaik, only the GBA and media sections of the g6 lite interface is skinnable.

In my opinion the DS part of the G6 needs no skinning whatsoever but the GBA section definately does. Maybe members of this forum could start a skinning project for the G6 Lite.. what do you guys think? im up for it

Quay Cur

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.happynessplanet.com
XP
Country
United States
I have plans to make some and have started two. One is the DS interface lookalike that everyone is asking for and the other is a kind of natural textures thing. Don't know how many I'll actually finish, but I'll post them all. I just have to wait until I actually get my G6 Lite (canceled my order with Divineo USA and reordered with Hopebuy). Hopefully it will be here soon.

richardfong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sounds good Quay Cur.. I dont own a G6 Lite either as yet, should be getting it within two weeks but as im only going to be using the GBA function and ignoring the PDA, media player, images, etc Im hoping i can create a skin that will hide these elements from the user

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-