Hardware Does the Dual Core ARM11MPCore mean two cores that are ARM11MPCore or does it mean ARM11MPCore as it has two regular ARM11 cores?

PlayerSlayer69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ARM11MPCore refers to a ARM chipset that is a multicore

But if you look at the ARM11 MPCore architecture and its specifications. It has up to 4 MP11’s CPU’s built on a ARM11 integer core connected with their own L1 memory bank.

But I wonder if Dual Core ARM11MPCore just means two regular ARM11 CPU cores and they aren’t both ARM11MPCore and the MPCore just stands for how the 3DS has more than one ARM11 core cpu

I Hope this isn’t too confusing for any hardware enthusiasts out there. Thanks for the answers!

Reactions: SylverReZ

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
It's 2 ARM11 MPCore CPUs with their own L1 and floating point coprocessor. As far as i can tell MPCore doesn't mean anything special other than it's a cluster of multiple CPUs with some special features making symmetric multi processing (smp) easier.

PlayerSlayer69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does the 3DS CPU support Thumb-2 instructions? In the ARM11 MPCore reference. Thumb-2 wasn’t mentioned but oddly, it did mention the thumb mode had 32 bit instructions that were introduced in Thumb-2 when Thumb-1 only had 16 bit instructions. I heard only the ARM1156T2-S was the only ARM11 version to support it but then again. The ARM CPUs I heard were licensable IPs that companies could buy from and customize

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ARM11MPCore refers to a ARM chipset that is a multicore

But if you look at the ARM11 MPCore architecture and its specifications. It has up to 4 MP11’s CPU’s built on a ARM11 integer core connected with their own L1 memory bank.

But I wonder if Dual Core ARM11MPCore just means two regular ARM11 CPU cores and they aren’t both ARM11MPCore and the MPCore just stands for how the 3DS has more than one ARM11 core cpu

I Hope this isn’t too confusing for any hardware enthusiasts out there. Thanks for the answers!
Yes.

PlayerSlayer69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No. Only Thumb instructions.
What’s the point of choosing the ARM11 MPCore as their CPU of choice for the 3DS if it’s only going to contain one or two MP11 core’s (instead of the 3 and 4 it’s more capable of) that power’s the whole processor? I mean the ARMv6 was already an outdated architecture by 2011 when the 3DS released and it was also severely underclocked at 268 MHz. Even the first iPhone’s ARM11 model: The ARM1176JZ-S was clocked higher at 412 MHz and that was a mobile device as well. They should’ve implemented either an L2 Cache, clocked it higher, or add more MP11 CPU cores to the ARM11 MPCore unless there we already more than 2. It’s a bit worrying to see a 2011 mobile gaming machine’s CPU be worse than a multitask phone from 2007. After all it was price 249.99$ at launch which is worth 337.18$ in today’s money. So it had no excuse for a CPU to be that weak. Especially if they needed a ton processing power for the 3D effect that they were trying to sell on without ruining game performance

Last edited by PlayerSlayer69,

Never_Sm1le

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
What’s the point of choosing the ARM11 MPCore as their CPU of choice for the 3DS if it’s only going to contain one or two MP11 core’s (instead of the 3 and 4 it’s more capable of) that power’s the whole processor? I mean the ARMv6 was already an outdated architecture by 2011 when the 3DS released and it was also severely underclocked at 268 MHz. Even the first iPhone’s ARM11 model: The ARM1176JZ-S was clocked higher at 412 MHz and that was a mobile device as well. They should’ve implemented either an L2 Cache, clocked it higher, or add more MP11 CPU cores to the ARM11 MPCore unless there we already more than 2. It’s a bit worrying to see a 2011 mobile gaming machine’s CPU be worse than a multitask phone from 2007. After all it was price 249.99$ at launch which is worth 337.18$ in today’s money. So it had no excuse for a CPU to be that weak. Especially if they needed a ton processing power for the 3D effect that they were trying to sell on without ruining game performance
That's Nintendo you are talking about. Hell they use a slow arm9 and an even slower arm7 as its I/O processor, which is super dumb but the NDS sold loads, so of course they will stick with it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The New 3DS has all those features ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol