Misc Does the "check for update" feature from ps5 game library automatically update the PS5 firmware ?

kwanz77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hello, sorry for the noob question.
I'm currently holding my PS5 firmware at v8.00 and I'm not logging into the PS network.
But I want to try to update my installed games without updating my firmware.

If I download and install the game update individually from the game library menu "check for update" without logging into the PS network, will the installation automatically update the PS5 firmware too?

Thank you.

AirPain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if i´m not wrong, you have to update your console for updating games. because without the rigth firmware you couldn´t even use PS Store.
But it is like i said,.. if i´m not wrong, but was the same issue with my PS4 a few years ago

kwanz77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So, last night I made up my mind and decided to try to update the game and this is what I found.

I'm on firmware v8.00.
I didn't log into my PSN account, and disabled automatic firmware and game updates download. Then I connected to the internet. I have 5 games on the internal SSD. 1 from digital download, 4 from physical disc.

I tried to check for updates one by one and they all found the latest updates and automatically downloaded them. The result was that 3 updates from physical games were successfully downloaded and installed, 2 games (digital and physical) were successfully downloaded but could not be installed because the updates required higher firmware.

Every time I select update the 2 game, I am asked to update the firmware, if I select update firmware later then the game runs without the downloaded update because it has not been installed.

But for the 3 games where the update was successfully installed, even though I chose to update the firmware later, the games ran with the last update that was successfully installed.

So I found, even though I don't log in to PSN and don't update my firmware to the latest firmware, I can still download updates and install updates for my games, with the condition that the update doesn't require a firmware higher than my current firmware or it will fail to install. :)
Post automatically merged:

And now my question has been enlightened, the "check for update" menu does not automatically download the latest firmware when installing an update for a game. :D

Last edited by kwanz77,
Reactions: shano and br0ke23

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...