Feedback PS5 - best way to wipe and restore saves

GH0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a PS5 that is currently on 8.2. However, because the PS5 was left in rest mode it downloaded (EG: Not installed) the 8.4 update. I have my PS5 set to not install updates automatically, but, the wrong button press put it errantly into Rest mode.

Now, I know you can enter Safe Mode to wipe a PS5, but I would like to restore my current saves (which are linked to a PSN account at the moment).

What is the best way to go about accomplishing:
  • Preventing the update from prompting to install
  • Removing the downloaded update
    • I assume the answer here is wipe the PS5
  • Backup and Restore my current Save Progress which is linked to a PSN account after wiping without downloading the updates
I could be overthinking this, but, I just don't want to lose any current progress while I wait it out. The only other game that currently interests me is BG3 and well, the firmware level that I am on now should be enough for that.

I do have a PiHole, but have been searching and I don't see any PiHole specific adblock file to use (which I should have admittedly done originally).

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need playstation plus to backup your save, but you need to be on the latest firmware to redownload your save so kinda pointless to trying to stay on 8.2

Reactions: KiiWii

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So manual backups are no longer a thing?

That used to be the case on PS3 - that was the last Sony console I had.

EDIT:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/back-up-ps5-data-USB/

Or would this restore the Update file when wiping the PS5?

You have to use playstation plus to backup and restore your save if you factory reset, to restore save and redownload digital content you have to sign in , signing in on wiped system require latest firmware. so kinda defeat what you want to do. May as well just update.

Last edited by Hayato213,

GH0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the PSN Login domain is the same domain used as the update domain cdn?

So it isn't possible to:
Backup PS5
Setup DNS blocking only for PS5 update firmware cdn but allowed for PSN sign in
PSN Network asks for latest PS5 firmware (which I don't see why this would be, it doesn't seem like the current 8.4 PS5 Firmware is a required update?
Login and restore?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Hayato213 can you back up saves to USB on a previously activated console, reinstall 8.20 rec (for example), then restore the profile and saves? Or does that last step require going back online and updating?

I’m not entirely up to speed on what you can do on an offline PS5.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Hayato213 can you back up saves to USB on a previously activated console, reinstall 8.20 rec (for example), then restore the profile and saves? Or does that last step require going back online and updating?

I’m not entirely up to speed on what you can do on an offline PS5.

Not for ps5 game saves, we can export ps4 saves not ps5 saves

Reactions: KiiWii

GH0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep reading conflicting statements from above on this, which is what brought this up - none of them mention going back online when doing a restore:

For example.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep reading conflicting statements from above on this, which is what brought this up - none of them mention going back online when doing a restore:

For example.

You can do backup and restore methods no access to your ps5 saves though if you stay on 8.2

GH0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But doesn't a backup and restore include the saves?

This video seems to indicate that it is possible/the case:

Granted all of this is 2 years old. but figured that it is a pretty fundamental / core function, that wouldn't change drastically over time.

Even if the restore completes, I don't see anywhere why I would actually the need to update to the latest firmware.

That was why I was asking about the Domain blocklist - because if simply blocking the ps5 update servers but still allowing PSN updates was possible... or something to that extent.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But doesn't a backup and restore include the saves?

This video seems to indicate that it is possible/the case:

Granted all of this is 2 years old. but figured that it is a pretty fundamental / core function, that wouldn't change drastically over time.

Only installed content, you can't even export ps5 save to an external usb.

GH0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 10.02.40 PM.png

And none of this includes Game Save data?

Saved Data would indicate to me game saves.

And I appreciate you answering all this, just a bit baffled / surprised that literally no option exists for physical USB backup in any feasible way.

I don't mind just remembering to hit "Turn off PS5" instead of "Turn off and Update PS5". Especailly given that the 8.4 update explicitly mentions "security" outright, and none of the other updates appear to.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 407948

And none of this includes Game Save data?

Saved Data would indicate to me game saves.

And I appreciate you answering all this, just a bit baffled / surprised that literally no option exists for physical USB backup in any feasible way.

I don't mind just remembering to hit "Turn off PS5" instead of "Turn off and Update PS5". Especailly given that the 8.4 update explicitly mentions "security" outright, and none of the other updates appear to.

I guess it does, but normally we aren't allow to export save, why you want to stay on 8.2?
Post automatically merged:

Screenshot_20231208_161336_Chrome.jpg

But reading this, it says that you have to sign in.

GH0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gamerant.com/ps5-update-patch-notes-december-2023
https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps5-system-software-firmware-23-02-08-40-00-live-dont-update.16701/

• We've made some security fixes to the system software.

This seems odd, it could be a false herring, but, it seems like 8.2 has a better chance potentially - and would rather stick to it.

Logging in to PSN can be done without upgrading a console unless the firmware is required (as far as I understand so far). But, if I block the update server, the PSN network should be able to login without requiring the firmware update or completing the update.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gamerant.com/ps5-update-patch-notes-december-2023
https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps5-system-software-firmware-23-02-08-40-00-live-dont-update.16701/

This seems odd, it could be a false herring, but, it seems like 8.2 has a better chance potentially - and would rather stick to it.

Logging in to PSN can be done without upgrading a console unless the firmware is required (as far as I understand so far). But, if I block the update server, the PSN network should be able to login without requiring the firmware update or completing the update.

With your firmware may as well update, with current exploit firmware you need a 4.50 ps5.

GH0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I understand current exploits don't apply to anything really past 4.5, and the only entry that currently exists has a max firmware of 7.2.

GH0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weirdly enough, a few days later - the update seems to have removed itself, and my system console is still on 8.2. So not sure what happened there - unless it is because Sony pulled the 8.4 update?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto