Does playing PSP games from a card make them load slower?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by LaymanX, Mar 5, 2010.

1. LaymanX
    OP

Newcomer LaymanX Advanced Member

United States
    I started Breath of Fire 3 and I noticed that battle startup times seem to be about 3-5 seconds longer than it should be, after comparing it with Youtube videos. No disc of course. Any suggestions?

2. wyndcrosser

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yes it does "sometimes", it depends on the make of the card, whether it's fake, whether you have plugins working (CFE music plug in etc.), also if the iso is an iso, or a .cso.

Still better than being that dork with a psp case full of UMD's.

Wynd

3. LaymanX
    OP

United States
    So...the best thing I can do is buy a new memory card....? But they don't exactly have read-speeds written on them, how am I supposed to know what's good?

It's an .iso by the way.

4. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Games generally play and load faster as an .ISO burnt onto the memory stick. Some games even allow you to shorten load times by allocating part of your memory stick for use to speed up load times.

Personally, I'd recommend picking up a photofast CR-5400 or similar 2 MicroSD --> 1 Memory Stick Pro Duo because it reduces the price dramatically. If you have the money, you can even go 2x16GB sticks.

Also "Card Class" is the read/write speed ranking, class 6 for example, is better than class 2. However, when it comes to price, a class 2 card should be cheaper than a class 6 (scaling for memory stick capacity).

5. LaymanX
    OP

United States
    My SanDisk says Memory Stick Pro Duo if that's what you mean.

6. pcmanrules

Member pcmanrules GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    I use a Photofast CR-5400 and a Transcend 8GB Class 6 and it's beautifully fast. Are you using CSO's or ISO's? if you have the space then use ISO's if possible.

7. LaymanX
    OP

United States
    Like I said, .iso. From what I hear, loading from a stick is almost always FASTER than from a UMD....so I don't get what's up with mine...

No matter how much I time it I can tell that the battles take about 9 seconds to load while on Youtube they take about 5. I can see where the differences are too.

8. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    using m33, or gen?

m33 has a speedup option (that works) in the hidden menu.

9. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    there's also a .prx plugin for phat psp's that may be some sort of adaption of the M33 version for fake memory sticks, (but since your using a real memory stick, it may not apply). Just a thought,.

10. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    First thing i'd do would be to bring up the VSH menu and check the Game Clock Speed....sounds like you may have decreased it under the default value.

11. LaymanX
    OP

United States
    I'm using Gen.

I found a Game speed option and changed it to 333mhz, but I didn't notice any difference in the game.

So I tried switching over to M33 to see if it would help and it says I can't update because an error comes up saying "There is no need to update." because my PSP software is 9.90...

12. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Run a speed test on the stick. PSXReality Memory Stick Tester is probably the most informative but Blackspeed is ok as well.

13. LaymanX
    OP

United States
    I "fixed" the problem by replacing the PSP version of BoF with the PSX eboot version. Battles load much faster now.