Does installing rom's with based on KitKat actually updates the system?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Boy12, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Boy12
    OP

Boy12 NOT a new member!

Mar 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Purmerend
    So, i need to help a friend with a Android phone, which is currently running on Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread.
    He asked me if installing a custom rom like Gin2KitKat actually updates the firmware version itself.
    So, to put it simple, if you know whited00r (which is just a downgrade and looks like iOS6 in style), is it like that? Or does it really include the files from KitKat? Will he be able to install the newer apps when using this custom rom? Well, thank's in advance!

EDIT: Sh*t, i just reconized my topic title contains some pretty bad Engrish :blink:
    Is there a option to change the title?

2. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    It depends, we don't know what phone your friend has, some can run Kitkat and have custom ROMs available, some are just skinned.
    Gimme the phone name and I'll see how far it goes

3. Boy12
    OP

Boy12 NOT a new member!

Mar 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Purmerend
    He has the Xperia Ray, here's the XDA forum topic: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1631144
    It say's in the supported phone's list, the rom is supported for the Ray.

4. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Its a skinned 2.3.7 ROM

ROM OS Version: 2.3.x Gingerbread
    ROM Kernel: Linux 2.6.x
    ROM Firmware Required: 4.0.2.A.0.xx
    Based On: 4.0.2.A.0.79

Boy12 likes this.
  5. Boy12
    OP

Boy12 NOT a new member!

Mar 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Purmerend
    Thank's for the info!
    Sorry if this was a noob question, just wanted some confirmation :yay:

6. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Nah its cool, I would stay away from the jellybean versions they all seem to have alot problems, such as touch screen not working and Bluetooth issues

7. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    It isn't really based on Kit Kat at all, simply a skin. Also, the link you posted in post #3 links to the Xperia Play forums, not the Xperia Ray.

8. N00B_IN_N33D

N00B_IN_N33D Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2014
    United States

I know this is an old thread and all, but I couldn't help but jump into the conversation. ;)

If your friend is still looking for a KitKat based ROM to install onto his Xperia Ray he can find quite a few in the Xperia Ray development forum on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-mini/ray-development

The most popular of the ROMs seems to be this unofficial build of BeanStalk: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2549337

The only complaint is that the browser is slow, although a third-party launcher may be able to remedy that. Other than that, this ROM (from what I've read) appears to be pretty solid. Can't test it myself though as I don't own a Ray...

Anyways, just thought I'd put that out there. Cheers!