Does flashcarts consumes a lot of power?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends which cart as well.

Highest is pretty much going to be the enhanced flash carts, for which most mean the DSTwo, ISMM and iplayer. These most will note as having a human noticeable impact on battery life. On a reasonable quality battery then you are probably still going to have your day out and charge in the evening though.
From there it varies, if you are looking for it you might see an effect but it will largely get lost in the noise -- if you are playing it during downtime then whether you have more or less one day then changes what goes. It might also vary enough between games -- get something hammering the CPU and 3d aspects and it will be different to a thing tightly coded to sit there and sip a tiny bit of CPU only when necessary while chucking around 2d sprites. Not seen a patch for any DS games though ( https://www.dwedit.org/dwedit_board/viewtopic.php?id=480 is one for the Wario Ware GBA as well as Advance Wars 1 and 2) much less a proper analysis.

Haven't measured things in a while and I don't think we ever did a proper shootout since GBA slot carts still represented a viable method (some GBA carts are less than stock, others more, and most won't do sleep mode that well), and most of those were idling on title screen (in my experience often quite the power hungry aspect -- they often have complicated animations and unlike consoles are not really designed to sit there all day on them) between flash carts rather than playing with multimeter.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
DS flashcarts consume more than genuine games but not that much usually. Considering you can have many games on one flashcart it's worth it.

Reactions: zandatsu

zandatsu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Depends which cart as well.

Highest is pretty much going to be the enhanced flash carts, for which most mean the DSTwo, ISMM and iplayer. These most will note as having a human noticeable impact on battery life. On a reasonable quality battery then you are probably still going to have your day out and charge in the evening though.
From there it varies, if you are looking for it you might see an effect but it will largely get lost in the noise -- if you are playing it during downtime then whether you have more or less one day then changes what goes. It might also vary enough between games -- get something hammering the CPU and 3d aspects and it will be different to a thing tightly coded to sit there and sip a tiny bit of CPU only when necessary while chucking around 2d sprites. Not seen a patch for any DS games though ( https://www.dwedit.org/dwedit_board/viewtopic.php?id=480 is one for the Wario Ware GBA as well as Advance Wars 1 and 2) much less a proper analysis.

Haven't measured things in a while and I don't think we ever did a proper shootout since GBA slot carts still represented a viable method (some GBA carts are less than stock, others more, and most won't do sleep mode that well), and most of those were idling on title screen (in my experience often quite the power hungry aspect -- they often have complicated animations and unlike consoles are not really designed to sit there all day on them) between flash carts rather than playing with multimeter.
I'm using R4 gold clone i think i only got 8 hours approximately and only Playing Soul Silver do you think that's good or bad?. The brightness on the ds lite is on the lowest level and yet still bright for my eyes

Last edited by zandatsu,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Given even the youngest DS lite is 10+ years old at this point then that is reasonable enough. Even one fresh out of the wrapper/assembly line with brightness down, volume down, only DS original game cart in is not going to do massively more -- pokemon is a 3d game despite appearances (can't remember if it was this one that they were trying a first person cheat) and the slowdowns it has usually mean it is working hard in the background.

If power is going to be an issue then I should note that the DS charging voltage is about that of USB so you can either slice up a charger yourself or buy one and then if you have USB (be it from the wall* or from a power bank) then you can probably manage a weekend away or something.

*such a thing can also be a test if you would rather not rig up another means. In normal conditions the DS will charge and play at the same time, charging might be slow as sin but it will work. If the draw is too high thanks to a flash cart the charger can't manage that and it will turn off, or your low battery light will come back on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, This chat is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well