Hacking Does cia installation speed get progressively worse?

Osakasan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So i'm starting to install on my 3DS the games i already own in .cia format. At first the installation times were beareable, with 40 min. for a 1.2 GB game and the likes, but things has been turning progressively worse, to the point that a 700 MB game took 6 hours yesterday. It was insane.

I'm using RxTools on 10.3 as CFW on o3DS, and FBI as installer injected into the H&S app. Also, my microSD is a 16 GB class 10.

Osakasan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@sl0ps any recommendation?

@TVL Yes, in fact i move files to my SD daily using the microSD manager App. I also used my SD today on my PC to transfer files to a friend's 3DS' SD

ddurdle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe I haven't encountered the proper app yet, but which there was a homebrew app that could allow you to navigate CIA files on a network share, to install from there. Copying them to SD card will fragment it badly overtime, if you are copying 1 CIA, installing, deleting the CIA, etc. Creates pockets of fragmentation that will slow down the card.

You may want to try copying all the SD files to a folder on PC, deleting them off the card, and copying them back. Should remove fragmentation.

Osakasan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Copying them to SD card will fragment it badly overtime, if you are copying 1 CIA, installing, deleting the CIA, etc. Creates pockets of fragmentation that will slow down the card

Ugh...

Would defragging hurt EmuNAND or the 3DS system file?

EDIT: Self-answer: It would hurt the SD card lifespan >__>

Thing is, the only thing slower is the cia installation.

Last edited by Osakasan,

ddurdle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ugh...

Would defragging hurt EmuNAND or the 3DS system file?

Thing is, the only thig slower is the cia installation.

Installing CIA games also copies files onto the SD card (non-emunand portion). I'm believing this is why you are seeing slowdown.

Don't use defragmenting tools, especially not on the emunand portion. "Manually" copying the SD data portion from-and-then-to will elimination fragmentation.

What brand card is this anyways?

Osga21

Full Time Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Here's a few things you could try:
  • Defragmenting your SD card(this probably won't help that much since it's flash based, but you never know...)
  • Formatting your SD card using the tool that Nintendo recommends
  • Using another cia installer

Chelsea_Fantasy

Someone who hates slow internet connections
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Solution Part 1: Use BBM or SOON! to install the .CIA Files
If part 1 does not works, check if you MicroSD card it's legit.
It could be a pirate and cheap clone MicroSD card even if it says Class 10
I have seen FAKE 128GB microSD cards class 100 (yes, not a joke) and they are really 16GB TF cards with a 3mbp/s writing speed.
Solution Part 2: Buy a legit MicroSD card (I reccomend you a 16GB or 32GB Samsung EVO, I have a 16GB one and are goooooood)

Reactions: ddurdle

ddurdle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sandisk, if my memory serves me right

All my Sandisks developed issues regardless of the device they were used in. Slowdowns are a start. Wait until your system starts to freeze on you at random times :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Solution Part 1: Use BBM or SOON! to install the .CIA Files
If part 1 does not works, check if you MicroSD card it's legit.
It could be a pirate and cheap clone MicroSD card even if it says Class 10
I have seen FAKE 128GB microSD cards class 100 (yes, not a joke) and they are really 16GB TF cards with a 3mbp/s writing speed.
Solution Part 2: Buy a legit MicroSD card (I reccomend you a 16GB or 32GB Samsung EVO, I have a 16GB one and are goooooood)

Ya, the Samsung EVOs are nice. Lexar 300x 32GB are good too (and cheap!).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk