PS1/2 Does anyone here run Linux on their PS3?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
A mate of mine got one recently and I was thinking about installing Linux on it. Does anyone here use it themselves? What I'm mostly wondering is if it runs the emulators available for Linux ok? I'm assuming it would but thought I'd double check.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I havent done it myself but from what I hear it runs linux very badly because things like the GPU are locked out. I should look into this myself as it goes. But I havent got high hopes for it to be honest.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Shit, that sucks. If you try it out and it turns out to actually be ok then let me know. It'd be a nice way to open the machine up a little for him.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've heard the same things p1ngpong, yet i have seen various vids of it booting it up fairly-ish quickly. Also I've heard there are some problems with connecting to the internet with it. I saw XP emulation on it, and ermmm it was extremely slow i.e. its a waste of time, in my opinion.

ejp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm going through this process at the moment. I've got linux up and running and stripped it down as far as I can to free up as much as I can in the way of resources.

So far I've only got as far as emulating NES on it - but thats running great using mednafen. I've got advancemenu up and running as a frontend and my intention is to start adding more emulators as time goes on and turn it into a nice little emu/mame box.

When I get a bit further on I'll probably post some videos and some how to guides, but for the time being I can probably answer any questions you have.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
ejp said:
I'm going through this process at the moment. I've got linux up and running and stripped it down as far as I can to free up as much as I can in the way of resources.

So far I've only got as far as emulating NES on it - but thats running great using mednafen. I've got advancemenu up and running as a frontend and my intention is to start adding more emulators as time goes on and turn it into a nice little emu/mame box.

When I get a bit further on I'll probably post some videos and some how to guides, but for the time being I can probably answer any questions you have.

Nice one, cheers! I'm more just interested in how well it runs, and what the last generation of console emus it runs well is. Is there a MAME for Linux?

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow! Please say there is a version of mame for linux! If the PS3 can run it ill spend all day getting it up and running
biggrin.gif

Edit:

Ive just found this and am going to take the plunge tomorrow!!!

ejp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll keep you updated on progress - my next addition is going to be snes - I've got nes running perfectly with wireless sixaxis control
smile.gif

From what I've read I wouldn't bank on anything later than the snes / megadrive era running well.

Mame is up and running - you need to use sdlmame - as to the speed it runs, I haven't tried it yet, but I'd assume it's pretty good on the older games.

There's lots of info on getting emu's, mame and some games like quake running in the ps3 section of www.yellowdog-board.com

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
I've heard the same things p1ngpong, yet i have seen various vids of it booting it up fairly-ish quickly.

having the GPU locked out affects boot-up time, how?

oh right. it doesn't.

also windows was running slow because the ps3 was running linux and emulating windows through a VM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay