Hardware Does a USB charger cause any issues?

sweis12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I noticed that you can buy a USB 3ds charger for only $10 on amazon, bit would that cause any issues? The official 3ds charger is only 4.6v at 900mah, but USB is 5v ranging from 500mah to 2000mah+. Does using 5v harm the system in any way? I want a USB charger for convince, but I also don't wanna break my ds.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm a bit concerned about the same thing as well, that being said I haven't had any issues with using a USB charger, and the battery doesn't get noticeably warm while using it, so I think the charge circuit in the 3DS is capable of downconverting it to the correct voltage.

sweis12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I'm a bit concerned about the same thing as well, that being said I haven't had any issues with using a USB charger, and the battery doesn't get noticeably warm while using it, so I think the charge circuit in the 3DS is capable of downconverting it to the correct voltage.
Are you using a computers usb port (500mah) or a wall plug? Also, I decided to order one. Thanks for the quick reply.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Are you using a computers usb port (500mah) or a wall plug? Also, I decided to order one. Thanks for the quick reply.
I use the USB ports on my PC since I always have my PC nearby, so it's the most convenient. Besides I use a retractable USB charger that is a bit too short to use with a wall plug.
A wall plug should work the same, even if it is a 2A or higher one the 3DS won't draw any more power than it is designed to draw.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
No. I've used a USB charger since a month after launch.

I charge my gamepad and 3 3ds, along with a dsl from my NAS.
I got this cute cable that has a head for dsl and 3ds on the same usb port from dx last year when my last one had to be bent around to charge.

2 ports doing 3 devices at a time :O

Last edited by Nollog,

ringo1206

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually made my own USB charger with an old (non working) official 3DS AC Adapter and some other USB I couldn't identify. Mine is working great, and have been using it for about a month on all five of my 3DS's. Just slap a resistor in their if you want to be extra - safe.

sweis12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I actually made my own USB charger with an old (non working) official 3DS AC Adapter and some other USB I couldn't identify. Mine is working great, and have been using it for about a month on all five of my 3DS's. Just slap a resistor in their if you want to be extra - safe.
What resister takes 5v and makes it 4.6v?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, the standard USB power output is within the 3DS's tolerance. All hardware is designed with a tolerance range, as there's always little variables that cause power flow to be slightly inconsistent. If someone designed hardware without a tolerance range, it would probably die on the first day. I wouldn't worry about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-