Does a USB charger cause any issues?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by sweis12, Oct 22, 2015.

1. sweis12
    OP

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    I noticed that you can buy a USB 3ds charger for only $10 on amazon, bit would that cause any issues? The official 3ds charger is only 4.6v at 900mah, but USB is 5v ranging from 500mah to 2000mah+. Does using 5v harm the system in any way? I want a USB charger for convince, but I also don't wanna break my ds.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I'm a bit concerned about the same thing as well, that being said I haven't had any issues with using a USB charger, and the battery doesn't get noticeably warm while using it, so I think the charge circuit in the 3DS is capable of downconverting it to the correct voltage.

3. sweis12
    OP

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Are you using a computers usb port (500mah) or a wall plug? Also, I decided to order one. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I use an "official" charger from gamestop and have it plugged into my PC all the time.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I use the USB ports on my PC since I always have my PC nearby, so it's the most convenient. Besides I use a retractable USB charger that is a bit too short to use with a wall plug.
    A wall plug should work the same, even if it is a 2A or higher one the 3DS won't draw any more power than it is designed to draw.

6. Nollog

Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2008
    No. I've used a USB charger since a month after launch.

I charge my gamepad and 3 3ds, along with a dsl from my NAS.
    I got this cute cable that has a head for dsl and 3ds on the same usb port from dx last year when my last one had to be bent around to charge.

2 ports doing 3 devices at a time :O

Last edited by Nollog, Oct 22, 2015
  7. ringo1206

ringo1206 Banned

Banned
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    I actually made my own USB charger with an old (non working) official 3DS AC Adapter and some other USB I couldn't identify. Mine is working great, and have been using it for about a month on all five of my 3DS's. Just slap a resistor in their if you want to be extra - safe.

8. sweis12
    OP

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    What resister takes 5v and makes it 4.6v?

9. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Nah, the standard USB power output is within the 3DS's tolerance. All hardware is designed with a tolerance range, as there's always little variables that cause power flow to be slightly inconsistent. If someone designed hardware without a tolerance range, it would probably die on the first day. I wouldn't worry about it.

10. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    I bought a cheapy usb charger cable off of ebay and it works fine (although it does seem to charge slower than the official mains charger) plugged into a socket adaptor or my pc.