Gaming Do you use Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility?

Do you use XB360 Backwards Compatibility?

• Total voters

SlashofaSword

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It took Microsoft long enough to introduce Backwards Compatibility, and when they did it didn't even apply to all games?? Why can I play Assassin's Creed 1-3 but not 4? Why can I play Red Dead Redemption but not RDR: Undead Nightmare? If anyone knows why please let me know..

Before I plugged my xbox 360 back in I used my XB1 for the games, but it sucked that all the discs did was download the game from the store and not run from the disc (taking up the 250GB of my xbox) so now it's plugged back in I play all xbox 360 games on it. Am I the only one who does this? Who else doesn't bother with the feature?

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why can I play Red Dead Redemption but not RDR: Undead Nightmare?
Uhhh, you can. I have both of those games. They both work.

It took Microsoft long enough to introduce Backwards Compatibility, and when they did it didn't even apply to all games??
1) We're lucky to even have it. The XB1 is the only console this gen to even have BC.
2) They have to build a custom version of the emulator for every game. DF has a great video on how it works:

but it sucked that all the discs did was download the game from the store and not run from the disc
Yes, because every game has a custom emulator. This isn't running every game in a generic emulator.

Am I the only one who does this?
Probably not.

Who else doesn't bother with the feature?
Don't then. Nobody cares. The games run better, have XB1 social features, and if you have an X1X they even look better. I'll continue using them on XB1. Honestly, it's a free service they provide. You just sound like an ungrateful crying child.

Last edited by Pickle_Rick,

Joyer7319

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I tried Indiana Jones on the 360! and the screen tearing and audio was horrid. I didn't bother with Xbone for BC. Like @DinohScene said, it's just hdd space I need when I have a 360 already. IMHO why bother?? An an OG Xbox and a 360 will eBay for lass than $200. Run original hardware, hacked to bits, and be better off.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
360 games run much better on xbox one

That's true for any properly emulated game.
Still doesn't convince me to dump me old consoles

SlashofaSword

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uhhh, you can. I have both of those games. They both work.

1) We're lucky to even have it. The XB1 is the only console this gen to even have BC.
2) They have to build a custom version of the emulator for every game. DF has a great video on how it works:

Yes, because every game has a custom emulator. This isn't running every game in a generic emulator.

Probably not.

Don't then. Nobody cares. The games run better, have XB1 social features, and if you have an X1X they even look better. I'll continue using them on XB1. Honestly, it's a free service they provide. You just sound like an ungrateful crying child.

1) I didn't realise RDR:UN was backwards compatible, my mistake. I was just looking for examples, I think you get the point.
2) If you consider the 3DS to be this gen then that has backwards compatibility. (Nintendo have always been very good with this stuff)
3) Thanks for that link, didn't realise how complex it was (always thought it was more simple)
4) I don't think I'm being an ungrateful crying child by asking the opinion of the community. You have your opinion on how you use BC, and that's fine. That's what I asked for. What I didn't ask for was for you to be rude for no reason.

I forgot to add that. Storage is an issue these days.
Yeah, I don't really have the money to be buying the external HDDs.

I got 3 360's.
I literally have no advantage to use the Xbone's BC aside from it eating up HDD space I can use for XBone games.
If you're in a situation where you have that many xb360 I can see why you'd do that, but doesn't having all the games separate bother you?

I'd prefer to have the games on as few consoles has possible. If you can, the only reason not to is because you don't want to.
That's what I thought would be cool about BC, but the fact not all games run on it and it chews up my storage ruins it for me..

Yeah, I plugged my xb360 back in for both the games and the memories.

Last edited by SlashofaSword,
Reactions: Kioku

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Unless there's something wrong, I do use BC.

My only complaints so far are that it doesn't support stand by mode like an Xbone Native game and saves could be handled better as I've had the odd problem with them syncing.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2) If you consider the 3DS to be this gen then that has backwards compatibility. (Nintendo have always been very good with this stuff)
I said consoles. Not portables. (Switch is an exception because it's a hybrid and it doesn't have BC anyway.) Plus I don't consider the 3ds current gen.
3) Thanks for that link, didn't realise how complex it was (always thought it was more simple)
How would it ever be simple? The XB1 isn't even fast enough to straight up emulate 360. It's a technological marvel what Microsoft did.
4) I don't think I'm being an ungrateful crying child by asking the opinion of the community. You have your opinion on how you use BC, and that's fine. That's what I asked for. What I didn't ask for was for you to be rude for no reason.
You're complaining about something you get for free that no other current gen console offers.
That's what I thought would be cool about BC, but the fact not all games run on it and it chews up my storage ruins it for me.
The current compatibility list is sitting at 469 360 games and 13 OG games. More are added every week. Crackdown and Fable just went BC. Most of the games are only around 6-12GB. I wouldn't call that eating up space. (There's a new batch of OG games coming very soon too.)

SlashofaSword

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I said consoles. Not portables. (Switch is an exception because it's a hybrid and it doesn't have BC anyway.) Plus I don't consider the 3ds current gen.

How would it ever be simple? The XB1 isn't even fast enough to straight up emulate 360. It's a technological marvel what Microsoft did.

You're complaining about something you get for free that no other current gen console offers.

The current compatibility list is sitting at 469 360 games and 13 OG games. More are added every week. Crackdown and Fable just went BC. Most of the games are only around 6-12GB. I wouldn't call that eating up space. (There's a new batch of OG games coming very soon too.)
it is eating up space when you have lots of 360 games like me, and as I’ve said I have an Xbox by with less storage so it affects me more. Also, I'm saying I thought it was a simple process but now I know it wasn't. Stop trying to make me realise what I already realised.

Last edited by SlashofaSword,

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use bc on the xbox one from time to time, since not every bc game will be playable on the xbox one i might as well buy the original xbox/360 and hack it.

Last edited by Darksabre72,

Nama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Especially considering that Kinect and Indie games aren't included in this package, or "Game Room" if you own that. The first one, Kinect, can work as I believe there's one Kinect game that got BC and actually worked; however, I think the idea is it's too much of a bother to those companies.
For conventional XBox 360 people however, most games worth emulating have been emulated except: "Ninety Nine Nights, Infinite Undiscovery, Project Sylpheed and Bullet Witch. All of those games are XBox exclusives that have never received a PC release(might be wrong about 99 Nights).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

A handheld/portable console is a console too.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh hell yeah I use 360 BC! And there's a hatful of games that I'm hoping will one day become available (OutRun where are you?) But, and it's handy I mentioned OutRun, I can see there's not only licensing issues that cause problems (for those who don't know what they are, google it if you want) which also (in OutRun's case) means the company can no longer sell the game anyway, never mind on a different platform.

Some games are SO much better on XO than on vanilla hardware now, even moreso on the One X - Forza Horizon 1, Crackdown and the Bethesda games are almost transformative experiences running in 4K...

Reactions: SlashofaSword

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over