Do you use multiple users on your computers, consoles or service accounts.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While systems with multiple isolated users have been a thing since... it is a key concept in unix so at least that long, then it was generally noted older versions of Windows were abysmal at achieving any kind of real isolation, and modern ones aren't too much better and mostly serves to annoy me when an install craps out they want things copied to a new hard drive. The more business focused versions of Windows did better but even that was usually the fault of a good systems administrator and a server setup. With Windows being so dominant this also led to most Linux distros playing to it, and for the likes of Android and IOS they are almost predicated upon a single user using the thing (they might have some technical concessions but eh really -- it would be trivial to have it have multiple codes to determine a given user). To this end I have seen a few people attempt to have another user on a computer but those are mostly specific needs for isolation (this user is just for this specific job I do sort of thing), and they are just as likely to get a dedicated computer to handle it (especially when they are so cheap these days).

Consoles have tried a few things at times, whether you want to go back to the memory cards/paks of the PS1 and N64, never mind things with floppy discs, or actual accounts that the likes of the 360 and nowadays PS4 offer, but in the end it is still considered a positive for games to have multiple save slots, and "autoboot into user" is a popular feature as well.
For PC games then I have seen it a few more times, but mostly among those which care about their stats which is not unheard of but still something of a rarity.

Likewise I have seen a few of those video and audio streaming services offer people different sub accounts. Do people use these? If you do is it mostly just censorship reasons (don't want kids to be seeing my stuff and what have you)? If not that is it recommendation list curation issues instead aka I don't want to be recommended that nonsense you enjoy?

D

Deleted User

when i got my switch i had a 2nd account for my sister temporarily, when she got her switch it got transferred over and now it's single user

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I quit all streaming services when I got creeped out when Netflix essentially bifurcated my account: changes in my viewing habits indicated someone else was using my account, so after a while, every time I logged into Netflix it prompted which of us--me or Mrs. romanaOne--was watching. I suppose it was good of them not to demand more money, but it really drove home to me what a joke online privacy is.

Accounts suck. Maybe I'll just make some phoney ones to waste the ministry of information's storage? Might as well throw stones at the sea.....

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
My Xbox One and Xbox 360 must have a good 8-10 profiles on, these belong to family and friends. Everyone wants to have their own saves and progress recorded, so as it all syncs to the cloud it makes sense just to have your profile on consoles your going to be playing on, with a pass code to restrict access.

I have a locked down guest account on my PC with no admin rights that I let friends use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: 4.90 ? 4.90.1?