Hardware Do you think the Switch should have been digital only?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,561
  • Replies 38

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm firmly in the physical media camp BUT I think Steam has proved that the digital download model can work if you do it right.
Steam made a lot of things right, and others give it an inheritant advantage. Steam quite often has sales with a considerable discount for games which in turn is what @FAST6191 is arguing
"the lack of an unrestricted resale market tanks such things for me unless every game is pocket change and I can stomach them being rentals" - FAST6191, 2018
Valve apparently understands this. Also, Steam is still running after all these years unlike the Wii shop or the DSi Shop. This is due to the PC platform being pretty much unchanged over the last few decades as opposed to the console market which produces brand new devices every ~5 years.

I like physical games. Especially on a handheld.

Last edited by Localhorst86,
Reactions: Jayro

hipmp5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Only successful if they release a lot cheaper model with more storage (something like 128gb), without TV dock and without game card reader for those who want a switch just to play outside but forcing everyone to go digital only is a terrible idea.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a number of issues with Switch game carts. Longer load times, higher price and sometimes a download along with it eg. Wolfenstein II. eShop games are more expensive in order to match the higher price of the physical cartridges. The Switch's portability aspect makes space a major design factor. Perhaps it would have been better to avoid cartridges altogether and include more than just a tiny 32GB internal memory.

lmao what did you smoke?

D

Deleted User

OP
I'm firmly in the physical media camp BUT I think Steam has proved that the digital download model can work if you do it right.
Steam is not on consoles, PC have never provided physical media without some form of DRM.

Not the same thing, I want to own my games on console or else I won't use console at all.

MockyLock

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Digital books, digital games...
Digital friends...
Digital sex...?
Digital death ??

Well, are we sure we want to go all digital ?

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
No, a digital only console would suck for consumers as you have one entity (Nintendo) controlling the price of all the games on the platform, meaning they always remain high.

The Xbox is a great example of why this is bad, some games can be £50-60 digitally, yet you can buy a new physical copy on Amazon for £20.

On the 3DS theirs been some deals for Pokemon Sun / Moon for £10 recently (Smyths Toys), I'd be amazed if its ever gets discounted to £10 on the eShop.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much a remodeled Switch is what you are looking for. Nothing worth killing cart games over. Or grab one of the fastest SD card brands on the market for more speed and storage

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Steam is not on consoles, PC have never provided physical media without some form of DRM.

Not the same thing, I want to own my games on console or else I won't use console at all.
Steam would never work on consoles, but I think it's inevitable that consoles will go digital only someday in the near future. It's only the older generation that are fighting this ownership issue as that's what we were raised with, but the new gamers won't care as they will be born into it. Young kids growing up with Xbox Live and PS Plus now for example actually seem to find physical media annoying.

D

Deleted User

OP
Steam would never work on consoles, but I think it's inevitable that consoles will go digital only someday in the near future. It's only the older generation that are fighting this ownership issue as that's what we were raised with, but the new gamers won't care as they will be born into it. Young kids growing up with Xbox Live and PS Plus now for example actually seem to find physical media annoying.
It will happen but not anytime soon, 70% of console sales are physical.

Internet speeds and data caps are not even close to enough worldwide, they would lose massive profits dropping physical.

Did you know only 50% PS4 users have PSplus? the rest just play offline just like we did in the old school.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no because nintendo servers are utterly shit.

trying to download anything on the switch takes hours and it keeps failing and loosing connection to the server.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It will happen but not anytime soon, 70% of console sales are physical.

Internet speeds and data caps are not even close to enough worldwide, they would lose massive profits dropping physical.

Did you know only 50% PS4 users have PSplus? the rest just play offline just like we did in the old school.
I guess I should've defined what I meant by near future.. I've been watching a lot of ancient history stuff lately, so 15-20 years felt like near future. Yeah, I agree it won't be viable until ISP's stop treating customers like crap, which won't happen until there is some serious competition from an outsider.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
I guess I should've defined what I meant by near future.. I've been watching a lot of ancient history stuff lately, so 15-20 years felt like near future. Yeah, I agree it won't be viable until ISP's stop treating customers like crap, which won't happen until there is some serious competition from an outsider.

Yes I would say we have 2 full generations with physical left around 15-20 years.

Which is sad.

Last edited by ,

Chipidy

Trophies
Website
www.chipidychipgaming.com
XP
Country
Canada
There's a number of issues with Switch game carts. Longer load times, higher price and sometimes a download along with it eg. Wolfenstein II. eShop games are more expensive in order to match the higher price of the physical cartridges. The Switch's portability aspect makes space a major design factor. Perhaps it would have been better to avoid cartridges altogether and include more than just a tiny 32GB internal memory.
Until we have a standard 10TB SSD and most people have internet . Hell na! To the na na na.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
and most people have internet
While I would have agreed back in 2008-2009 when this downloadable only lark was first floated -- between speeds available, harsh bandwidth caps in some places and general adoption of things I could not see such a thing being a feasible product but today we seem to be looking out at a far different landscape*.

*I say having moved to the country and now coming to you by way of a paltry 700K/sec connection.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it's just in an empty open space, like outside at night or the backrooms, depending on the...