Do you think Comedy Central should have censored South Park?

Should the have bowed down to over indoctrinated Muslims?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
So I'm pretty pissed off at the censoring of South Park last night. I thought at first maybe it was done to make a point, but alas it wasn't. So who here thinks that Comedy Central should have bowed down the threat of Islamists (please note : Islamists are not your everyday general Muslims, please don't confuse the two). I believe no secular democracy should bow down to pressure off any religious group. According to conservative Muslims displaying an image of Mohammed is considered blasphemous, yet Mohammed isn't their God - he is merely their prophet. What do you think? I'd specially like to hear from normal Muslims what their opinion of this is, because I know they think very very differently to the Islamists.

And please don't use this an excuse to be a right wing moron posting rubbish. If you do you'll get a berating from me and and I'll report your posts. I've got no time for bigots or racists. Ta muchly.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting... I missed the first showing of the episode on TV and went to watch the 2nd one 2 hours later to find out they pulled the entire episode and decided to play an older one instead. I think the censoring of any image of Mohammed really shows how much people fear what might happen, which is exactly what the episode was talking about. I have a feeling that South Park was expecting Comedy Central to do what they did, and wrote the episode assuming so. Where did you hear that the censorship was not meant to be part of the episode anyways?

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Although I am offended slightly as a Muslim, it is normal. Catholics, Christians and other religions have been made fun of, you don't see them giving death threats.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Muslims should be offended by the fact that they censored it. It shows how much people fear the Muslim religion and just adds to the violent stereotype.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
It's in the news. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8636455.stm There's also loads of other stuff about it on the web as well. Some of it from right wing groups so all that stuff is pretty ignorable, lots of decent commentary about it too though.

Of course it could always be a propaganda thing, but Matt and Trey aren't really well known for that kind of thing. Otherwise Team America would have been a very different film! lol

Reading all the info about it though Matt and Trey didn't expect it to be censored. All the black bar censoring was done by CC, he was originally written into the episode and meant to be shown. If you still haven't seen the second part it's supposed to be online now, although still in a censored format.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Normally I try to avoid these kinds of topics, but this is becoming just plain annoying. I have nothing against Muslims, but now they are acting like they are the only ones being made fun of and the only ones in the world. I believe we should respect other people's believes, but they are now just abusing it, which is something I can not agree with.

Assassination

暗殺者Lv25
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Pink Cat Boy said:
Normally I try to avoid these kinds of topics, but this is becoming just plain annoying. I have nothing against Muslims, but now they are acting like they are the only ones being made fun of and the only ones in the world. I believe we should respect other people's believes, but they are now just abusing it, which is something I can not agree with.

Agrees.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
The Pink Cat Boy said:
Normally I try to avoid these kinds of topics, but this is becoming just plain annoying. I have nothing against Muslims, but now they are acting like they are the only ones being made fun of and the only ones in the world.

They believe that they are the master race and therefore above everything, and will probably not stop until they run the world.

Assassination

暗殺者Lv25
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Law said:
The Pink Cat Boy said:
Normally I try to avoid these kinds of topics, but this is becoming just plain annoying. I have nothing against Muslims, but now they are acting like they are the only ones being made fun of and the only ones in the world.

They believe that they are the master race and therefore above everything, and will probably not stop until they run the world.

Other countries wont agree that they are the master race then they will get mad anddddd its WAR so yeah.(Not being racist or whatever)

kirlac

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
TrolleyDave said:
Reading all the info about it though Matt and Trey didn't expect it to be censored. All the black bar censoring was done by CC, he was originally written into the episode and meant to be shown. If you still haven't seen the second part it's supposed to be online now, although still in a censored format.
If the censoring was done by comedy central, why did they censor Tom Cruise for that brief period? Or the long censored monologues at the end? Them jokes wouldn't have worked if censoring *BEEP* wasn't intentional, or at least planned upon. Unless the censored monologues weren't supposed to be censored. I personally thought they were a reference to the end of the first episode when kyle yells at the aliens and it was all bleeped out. But that's just my opinion.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
kirlac said:
TrolleyDave said:
If the censoring was done by comedy central, why did they censor Tom Cruise for that brief period? Or the long censored monologues at the end? Them jokes wouldn't have worked if censoring *BEEP* wasn't intentional, or at least planned upon. Unless the censored monologues weren't supposed to be censored. I personally thought they were a reference to the end of the first episode when kyle yells at the aliens and it was all bleeped out. But that's just my opinion.

They censored Tom Cruise for that short period because like any over wealthy actor with an insecurity complex he threatened to sue them so hard they would have gone bankrupt. Have a read of the information available. They fully intended to show Mohammed and the censoring of his name was done by producers due to fears of violence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/201...-fatwa-muhammad

As controversy raged, Comedy Central confessed that it was responsible for the cuts. "I can't go into the thinking behind it, but I can confirm it was Comedy Central that inserted the bleeps and not South Park," a spokesman for the station said.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disgusting and an INSULTING. “South Park” is disgusting, blasphemous, and occasionally hilarious out of all bounds. Seriously I just don't understand what is so funny about that stuff. Family Guy simply has Peter farting throughout the whole show and South Park is so AWFULLY drawn I can't watch a second of that disgusting stuff. I also just don't get the humor. My opinion, but I think it is crap.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
TrolleyDave said:
kirlac said:
TrolleyDave said:

They censored Tom Cruise for that short period because like any over wealthy actor with an insecurity complex he threatened to sue them so hard they would have gone bankrupt. Have a read of the information available. They fully intended to show Mohammed and the censoring of his name was done by producers due to fears of violence.
Tom Cruise is freaking nuts anyways, might as well appeal to his over-sized ego before he busts a nut.
And the fact that we are in such fear of being killed nowadays for something as small as a joke or saying Mohammed's name on TV, well it makes me sad honestly that the world has come to such a stagnate state.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
The Pink Cat Boy said:
Tom Cruise is freaking nuts anyways, might as well appeal to his over-sized ego before he busts a nut.
And the fact that we are in such fear of being killed nowadays for something as small as a joke or saying Mohammed's name on TV, well it makes me sad honestly that the world has come to such a stagnate state.

I couldn't agree more. Bowing down to the pressure of violence for fear of offending someone simply by saying a name makes me sad as well. There was nothing in there designed to deliberately offend Muslims. The inclusion of his image and name wasn't simply to insult or offend, there was very valid commentary behind it. Hell, the commentary was proven to right by the censorship of the episode. If anyone should be up in arms about that episode it's Buddhists! Both episodes made extremely good points. America should be up in arms over this, the fact that they're not adds to the validity of the statement that they made about people be more interested in who Cartmans Dad was rather than the ethics of not being allowed to show Mohammed.

kirlac

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
TrolleyDave said:
kirlac said:
TrolleyDave said:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/201...-fatwa-muhammad

As controversy raged, Comedy Central confessed that it was responsible for the cuts. "I can't go into the thinking behind it, but I can confirm it was Comedy Central that inserted the bleeps and not South Park," a spokesman for the station said.
I stand corrected
In the 14 years we've been doing South Park we have never done a show that we couldn't stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode. It wasn't some meta-joke on our part. Comedy Central added the bleeps. In fact, Kyle's customary final speech was about intimidation and fear. It didn't mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too. We'll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different and we'll see what happens to it.

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...