Do you think Comedy Central should have censored South Park?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by TrolleyDave, Apr 22, 2010.

?

Should the have bowed down to over indoctrinated Muslims?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrolleyDave
    OP

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    So I'm pretty pissed off at the censoring of South Park last night. I thought at first maybe it was done to make a point, but alas it wasn't. So who here thinks that Comedy Central should have bowed down the threat of Islamists (please note : Islamists are not your everyday general Muslims, please don't confuse the two). I believe no secular democracy should bow down to pressure off any religious group. According to conservative Muslims displaying an image of Mohammed is considered blasphemous, yet Mohammed isn't their God - he is merely their prophet. What do you think? I'd specially like to hear from normal Muslims what their opinion of this is, because I know they think very very differently to the Islamists.

And please don't use this an excuse to be a right wing moron posting rubbish. If you do you'll get a berating from me and and I'll report your posts. I've got no time for bigots or racists. Ta muchly.

2. Sefi

Member Sefi GBAtemp Fan

Interesting... I missed the first showing of the episode on TV and went to watch the 2nd one 2 hours later to find out they pulled the entire episode and decided to play an older one instead. I think the censoring of any image of Mohammed really shows how much people fear what might happen, which is exactly what the episode was talking about. I have a feeling that South Park was expecting Comedy Central to do what they did, and wrote the episode assuming so. Where did you hear that the censorship was not meant to be part of the episode anyways?

3. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Although I am offended slightly as a Muslim, it is normal. Catholics, Christians and other religions have been made fun of, you don't see them giving death threats.

4. Assassination

Member Assassination 暗殺者Lv25

Japan
    it made the show kinda lame...

5. keras

Newcomer keras Member

Denmark
    Short answer No.

6. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Muslims should be offended by the fact that they censored it. It shows how much people fear the Muslim religion and just adds to the violent stereotype.

7. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    It's in the news. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8636455.stm There's also loads of other stuff about it on the web as well. Some of it from right wing groups so all that stuff is pretty ignorable, lots of decent commentary about it too though.

Of course it could always be a propaganda thing, but Matt and Trey aren't really well known for that kind of thing. Otherwise Team America would have been a very different film! lol

Reading all the info about it though Matt and Trey didn't expect it to be censored. All the black bar censoring was done by CC, he was originally written into the episode and meant to be shown. If you still haven't seen the second part it's supposed to be online now, although still in a censored format.

8. keras

Newcomer keras Member

Denmark
    Iranian cleric: Promiscuous women cause earthquakes
    Link : http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1164149.html

9. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Normally I try to avoid these kinds of topics, but this is becoming just plain annoying. I have nothing against Muslims, but now they are acting like they are the only ones being made fun of and the only ones in the world. I believe we should respect other people's believes, but they are now just abusing it, which is something I can not agree with.

10. Assassination

Japan

Agrees.

11. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    They believe that they are the master race and therefore above everything, and will probably not stop until they run the world.

12. Assassination

Japan

Other countries wont agree that they are the master race then they will get mad anddddd its WAR so yeah.(Not being racist or whatever)

13. kirlac

Newcomer kirlac Member

New Zealand
    If the censoring was done by comedy central, why did they censor Tom Cruise for that brief period? Or the long censored monologues at the end? Them jokes wouldn't have worked if censoring *BEEP* wasn't intentional, or at least planned upon. Unless the censored monologues weren't supposed to be censored. I personally thought they were a reference to the end of the first episode when kyle yells at the aliens and it was all bleeped out. But that's just my opinion.

14. impizkit

Member impizkit Lazy Lurker

Australia
    I think its clear what we all think.

15. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Nope, freedom of expression is one of or most precious rights.

16. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    They censored Tom Cruise for that short period because like any over wealthy actor with an insecurity complex he threatened to sue them so hard they would have gone bankrupt. Have a read of the information available. They fully intended to show Mohammed and the censoring of his name was done by producers due to fears of violence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/201...-fatwa-muhammad

As controversy raged, Comedy Central confessed that it was responsible for the cuts. "I can't go into the thinking behind it, but I can confirm it was Comedy Central that inserted the bleeps and not South Park," a spokesman for the station said.

17. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Disgusting and an INSULTING. “South Park” is disgusting, blasphemous, and occasionally hilarious out of all bounds. Seriously I just don't understand what is so funny about that stuff. Family Guy simply has Peter farting throughout the whole show and South Park is so AWFULLY drawn I can't watch a second of that disgusting stuff. I also just don't get the humor. My opinion, but I think it is crap.

18. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Tom Cruise is freaking nuts anyways, might as well appeal to his over-sized ego before he busts a nut.
    And the fact that we are in such fear of being killed nowadays for something as small as a joke or saying Mohammed's name on TV, well it makes me sad honestly that the world has come to such a stagnate state.

19. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    I couldn't agree more. Bowing down to the pressure of violence for fear of offending someone simply by saying a name makes me sad as well. There was nothing in there designed to deliberately offend Muslims. The inclusion of his image and name wasn't simply to insult or offend, there was very valid commentary behind it. Hell, the commentary was proven to right by the censorship of the episode. If anyone should be up in arms about that episode it's Buddhists! Both episodes made extremely good points. America should be up in arms over this, the fact that they're not adds to the validity of the statement that they made about people be more interested in who Cartmans Dad was rather than the ethics of not being allowed to show Mohammed.

20. kirlac

Newcomer kirlac Member

New Zealand
    Source

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.