do you hate dlc

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by hacksn5s4, May 22, 2016.

1. hacksn5s4
    OP

hacksn5s4 Banned

Banned
    Aug 12, 2015
    well it kinda gives players who did not buy it it an unfair advantage and it makes you blow money on mobile games. i know its away to add new content in the game if dlc was free it would be ok you get the game and then you gen free content for buying it.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    As long as it doesn't take away from the main game I don't mind it. Often DLC is just some extra characters and costumes which aren't really needed to get the full experience but they are a nice bonus. I don't like it when they release tons of little DLC items that add up to cost many times the amount of the game itself though.

nxwing likes this.
  3. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Depends on the DLC.
    The Mario Kart 8 DLCs are, for me, the perfect examples of great DLCs. Cheap, with a lot of content, but you still have a full game even without buying them.
    Otherwise, I agree that on most games, especially mobile ones, they are expensive crap. But tbh most mobile games are crap too, so I don't think that really matters.

Last edited by TheKawaiiDesu, May 22, 2016
  4. hacksn5s4
    OP

hacksn5s4 Banned

Banned
    Aug 12, 2015
    if your 3ds has cfw you can just pirate the dlc though so its not a problem on the 3ds

5. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    if it is disk locked content, then i don't like it.
    if it is extra new content, that comes out a few months after the game - then sure that's cool to keep supporting the game and making content yet being able to release it earlier.
    stuff like nintendo asking what new character people want and then adding it in ssb, very nice.

6. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    It's too commonly used as a way to release an incomplete game the full price and charge for the missing part you should have got from the start. (mario kart 8? pay full price for removed tracks with place holder for future re-addition)
    even more when these said additional content are released at the same time than the game. the developers didn't create "additional" content, but "substracted content" from the full game to make you pay more.

I think most DLC should be free to add small contents (costumes, themes, avatar, etc.) or even short additional missions "developed after the release" (not removed before game launch) but that developers think if should be part of the game.
    Paid content are fine if they are not small updates, but a full game replacement (Skyrim or Witcher 3 full DLC).

Witcher 3 is a good example of what DLC should be in my opinion.
    They released small updates and missions for free.

It became a bad practice to win more money. I guess it works or they would stop doing it.
    I'm just not buying them, even for things less than 1$, I feel like it's stealing by removing content, not adding it.

The only DLC I buy is the episodic games. DLC to advance in the story (another way to force people to buy little by little).
    At least, the full chapters have the same price than any other full games (if not less), it's not like they charge the first one full price with missing data like, let say, mario kart 8... (sorry, that's the first one which came to mind)

The full game should cost full price. Any cut content sold full price are bad in my opinion.

Crusylicious likes this.
  7. Touko White

Touko White (not)Banned

Jan 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    It's a good thing, but it is getting really overused and a lazy cop-out for their developers to make more money.

8. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    It really depends.

For example, MH DLC is free so who cares ? :P
    And it actually helps keeping the game alive, it gives you more quests and stuff.

Then, paid DLC depends too of course... Too expensive for too little content is annoying, pay-to-win is annoying, etc.

9. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yes @Cyan free dlc is nice :)
    but, what confuses me is some games having FREE dlc as in 'disk locked content'.
    so it's not actually anything new, just every few weeks after the release, you get something else unlocked in the game. it's free so i can't complain much...
    nice idea maybe, but a bit annoying. i say this because a vita game i have has this, the dlcc file size is so small that i really doubt it's extra content and i think it's simply unlocking stuff.
    although in this case, the vita only allows one account per system (per memory card actually) - so if you have the eu shop and the game is usa, you have to format and lose access to your games on one account to link to the other store if you want to get the FREE dlc that isn't even really dlc....

Last edited by cearp, May 22, 2016
  10. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    I don't mind cosmetic dlc, but stuff like new fighters in smash bros really annoys me.

11. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    DLC like small in game perks and costumes/characters is fine.
    Or extra mappacks online etc.

DLC that's needed to complete the storyline...
    Just no.

12. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    in the old days DLC and expansion packs where cool things...
    you bought the game and later they developed extra content to make the game richer and bigger...
    BUT this happened AFTER THE GAME WAS DONE, and months or even a year later..

nowadays dlc is just lazyness "heh, we can skip this content\stuff and release it later as dlc"
    it gives developers more time... they can release a base game as in to release and sell something while they are still finishing up the game..

i hate planned dlc...
    release the game, make "the perfect game" and think how to make it even better later...
    not "i want 200 levels in this game, but wee have no time, so we release the game with 150 and the other 50 levels we release as dlc and even make extra money"

nxwing, Cyan and Seriel like this.
  13. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    This...

Dlc needs to stop. So do microtransactions... like the ones in black ops 3, it's a $70 game, it doesn't need it

At least cockstar made all the dlc for gta 5 free

14. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Mobile gaming has IAP, far worse than DLC.

Personally, I have nothing against good DLC. Examples of DLC that I consider good are GTA IV's Episodes from Liberty City.

I don't like Day 1 DLC because I believe that they should come with the game itself. Same goes for on disc DLC *cough*Capcom*cough*

I also hate the DLC announce during the development of the game. Those DLC should be bundled within the game itself.

What I said above only applies to paid DLC. If it's free DLC, then that's alright by me

Touko White and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  15. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    Like for mobile gaming like for clash of clans and those trash shitty games I find it a complete waste of money.
    But on games(PC ) like for my example skyrim, the dlcs serve as expansions which adds various side quests , ways to play, etc and it's not disc locked content which makes a great kind of dlc. So it's great as long as it's worth it

nxwing likes this.
  16. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    If it's free, no. That's good.

If it's not free, but the DLC includes great story-line content, then that's cool.

If it's not free, but it adds so much that it could be considered a game itself, then that's cool too.

If it's not free, and it's disk-locked content, and it don't even that much then I'm going to be angry.

Touko White likes this.
  17. Segtendo

Segtendo #TeamMarie

Jun 30, 2010
    United States
    Illinois
    Really depends on the game.

Good Examples
    Smash Wii U/3DS: a game packed to the brim with content that could keep people busy for hours. Release a bunch of characters, Mii costumes, and skins on top of a full-packed game.
    Mario Kart 8: fuly worth of the $60 price tag. Plus, with both DLC packs, you have half a game for less than half of the MSRP price.

Bad Example
    Star Wars Battlefront: release a multiplayer-only game that only has a couple maps, THEN charge $50 for a season pass. So basically, you get the full game for over $100

nxwing likes this.
  18. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Uhhhh...you are aware that they've been releasing free DLC for this, right? There are like 17 or so total maps right now, free of charge, that's hardly "a couple", and they plan on continuing with more free stuff in the next few months. Granted, when it launched it was only 12 or 13 or so, but their first free DLC was like 2 weeks after release and added a couple more. The season pass is absolutely over priced by about $20 IMO, but they're pretty much doubling the initial content in terms of maps, characters and game modes. It's hardly an example of "bad" DLC, just pricey DLC.

As for the OP, the only DLC I don't care for is pay-to-win stuff and that's about it. I don't really care about on-disc stuff, or day one DLC or whatever else since most of the time they add virtually nothing important to the initial game and are usually just cosmetic junk I don't care about. I also don't mind the season pass model for games as long as they're series that are usually worth it and are generally cheap (around $15-$25, depending on the series).

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Been fiddling with DLC since it was called expansion packs. As with others there are good ways to set about it and bad ways. I have no problem with on disc DLC -- my windows disc includes the ultimate version of that range but if I buy poor man home edition then I don't automatically get big boy just shy of server/workstation edition.

Extra characters/items/weapons... I will not necessarily praise it but as long as things fall in or behind (though why any sane designer would go behind I do not know) the pareto frontier then I do not mind. If DLC peeps have an advantage other than they have more selection which I have to account for then I have no problems. If DLC peeps can have higher levels than me then as long as they are scaled back to my pleb level (or max level as the case may be) then I do not mind, if DLC peeps are going to have a 10 level bonus over me then second word is off.
    Extra maps... hardly ideal but I can live with it. I am not one for online multiplayer though.
    On the flip side the free to play model where you can pay to be your chosen character I have no problem with.

Finishing a story. Truly lazy design in most cases and far from ideal but not as distasteful as pay to win DLC for me.
    Side story, while you were doing this, post game extra mission, what if everything was slightly different. Always up for that. Cut content/early beta polished a bit and packaged up. Yeah OK.
    Stuff like seen in

I would prefer it for free but I will take what I can get there. If it was deliberately cut content for the sake of being DLC then you are invited to park it on this mid digit and swivel if done by someone channelling the inner money grubbing bastard, I am not necessarily opposed to full release and then DLC as a plan from the start but it would be hard to pull off well. If it was "we made the game and then we spent some time after, or the massive beta test that is 3 million players playing for 30 hours a piece giving us good info, and got really good as a consequence, here are the results" then I shall decry the nature of game project scheduling but I will be curious to see what goes.

Because IP lawyers exist DLC. Most would think things like music game tracks which could total hundreds and more, however if you want crazy then look at train games and what some charge there, let alone just trying to get all the trains -- car games are more popular and provide a similar example but some of the train stuff is bordering on obscene. I still have bad memories of the music DLC cluttering up my releases of the day/week/general release posts, at least before I stuffed it in the music game DLC ghetto (simple pre listings in a spoiler). On the other hand I know IP lawyers exist and the frameworks for it exist so call it resigned acceptance.

Pay to win games. I value them as an idiot detector, not much more. Pay to win but possible to play and compete happily if you instead log in every day and do things, so technically not pay to win any more, I am OK with. Pay for cosmetic, and the previously mentioned pay of character selection or some bonuses that do not provide an advantage as much as another way to play, I am fine with.

It is now the modern world and where my save files take up a level of space equal to an entire ROM I accept there are going to be bugs, patches required and more. This is not an excuse of laziness but it is a reason to see some leeway given. What goes here as far as DLC I do not know. I see several cheap to buy and updated forever mobile games do things that some might call DLC and I am delighted to see rolling release happen as a model for games.

I do wonder what the advent of modern DLC has done as a negative for games. I would say pay to win but I remember arcades/coinops. Trophments have been widely held to bother in game cheats and things like the skate 2 and skate 3 paid unlock DLC leave a horrible taste in my mouth. With things like heroes of might and magic and doom and quake and counterstirke and unreal tournament (and this list could go on for a little while) we saw some amazing user made content arise. DLC has possibly stifled that a bit, though at the same time the locked down nature of consoles has not helped. I would note that a lot of time extra costumes were once default in games, at the same time I do not care for such things.

KiiWii likes this.