Do you get the scratch guarantee?

Do you bother with it?

• Yes. It's useful and my games end up getting scratched anyways

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No. I take care of my games and don't treat them like shit.

Votes: 16 94.1%

• Total voters

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Stores like EB Games/GameStop offer a scratch protection thing for $2.00. You pay $2.00 and if your game gets scratched, you return it and they'll replace it. But how many of you actually go through with it?

I don't think I have ever gotten the protection. I mean, for Wii and 360 games, yeah I can understand, because they get scratched. But everytime I've gone there to buy a PS3 game, I always get used for older games, or new for newer games, and I have never bothered paying the 2 bucks, because the PS3 games never have any scratches on it. I mean, the store even offers it for 3DS games and shit. Why?

Anyways, who gets it and do you think it's worth it?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't - I sincerely doubt that there's even such a thing in the stores I get my stuff from. If I buy a game, I must *really, really like it*, so by proxy I take good care of it. As far as consoles are concerned, I'm already very pedantic about their state, so they're in good hands. :P

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Considering the only games I seem to buy anymore are 360 games that I end up backing up anyways, no I don't. I'd rather scratch my backup copy than my real copy. I use the real one like...once, then just put them away for good.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
The proper answer to that sales pitch is "I'm sorry, I'm not interested,and if you would like to tell your manager why you didn't press the issue, you can tell him that it's because I don't treat my games like your company treats it's employees."

Reactions: 3 people

Traversal

Soooo cool!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never heard of it, and wouldn't need it. Though, I wish it had been an option when I was younger. All those ruined games...

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I should've got it for the used copy of SSFIV PS3 that I got. Fuckin' thing looks like someone dropped a cat on it.
Although it's the only PS3 game I own that has a scratch.

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard from a number of people that the "guarantee" doesn't hold up as well as sales managers' middle fingers.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The proper answer to that sales pitch is "I'm sorry, I'm not interested,and if you would like to tell your manager why you didn't press the issue, you can tell him that it's because I don't treat my games like your company treats it's employees."

Ugh. Working in retail, I know exactly where you're coming from. I hate seeing some of the people I work with push the extended warranties/store cards so much (most of them don't though. I'll occasionally ask I used to ask because we ran a contest where getting a certain amount of accessories and warranties with sales would get us gift cards to the store since we don't make commission; I don't anymore, I skip right through the credit card and warranty prompts because I don't give a fuck and neither does the customer. When I DO ask, I never push it further than "Did you want the x year extended warranty on it?" unless they press further and ask more about it. If people want it, they'll usually ask for it up front.

The whole corporate mindset of "We need to sell a warranty with every single product like we'll go out of business tomorrow if we don't" is one of the exact reasons I can not STAND shopping at Best Buy.

On topic, no, I never get the warranty. I got it once for my new camera because it was $7, but I never have for a game (especially not at $7 per warranty for a $60 game at Target). I take care of my stuff well, do mostly Steam games for the PC so I don't need disks anyway, and for consoles, I can pirate back up what I need to :creep:

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only had one game that has been scratched beyond use and that was Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which was my first Gamecube game.

Also I buy most of my games used. Only one used game I bought was scratched beyond a certain use upon arriving (Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal) and the seller sent me a new copy for free.

So no, I don't like ever need this. I usually keep one game out at a time and if it's not in its respective console, it's in its case.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only ever had 2 legit games stop working on me, and both times I never figured out what the problem was since it didn't look like there was anything wrong with them, and they just suddenly stopped working. Yoshis Cookie on GB and Mario Galaxy on Wii. So yeah, waste of money.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I take care of my games too, but at only $2 it's one of those things where I figure, "why the heck not?" It's comforting to know that if something happens to the game over the course of 2 years, I can just take it back and get a free replacement (maybe another $2 for the protection on the new disc, idk if you even have to do that since I haven't dealt with it).

Even for non-disc games like on the 3DS, it CAN be useful. I remember I bought a used copy of Spider-Man: Edge of Time for the 3DS this February. It worked fine, but the game wasn't that good so after a few hours of gameplay, I put the game down and didn't play it for about 3 months. When I finally got around to platying it again, my 3DS just wouldn't read it, and neither would my girlfriend's. I have no idea what happened to it, and I kept it in a protective case. It just, for whatever reason, decided to die. It wouldn't even register the fact that I put a cart in the slot whenever I did, it just acted as if there was nothing in there.

Unfortunately, I had misplaced the receipt, even though I could've SWORN I kept it in the original case for the game, like every other receipt I got. And GameStop refused to honor the protection without the receipt. Why they don't put such records on your power-up pro card the same way they do with reservations, etc is beyond me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazons-cloud-unit-pauses-orders-134219461.html?guccounter=1 mmm