Do you ever feel like you've "grown up" of games?

Demifiend

The bored one
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Now, before everyone rages, I'm not saying that when you "grow up" of games that does means that you should not play them again because you're an adult, or much over the age required to play a game, I'm simply saying that when you grow up, some games that you played in your childhood simply don't appeal to you, not because they are bad, and rather, simply because they don't offer you the same kind of charm you saw as a child/youngster

In my experience, yes I had it, but is kinda spontaneous, is not that I start to throw out my games and be "mature", no, my videogames are staying with me until the day I die, but I can admit that some games that I used to play a lot before just don't appeal that much to me now, it doesn't mean that I hate them or anything, is just simply that I didn't found them worthwhile to play them again or to give them a more in-depth look.

I used to play Pokemon games all day, specially the GBA ones on both my GBA and emulator and also its follow-ups Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, and then I went with HG/SS to finally end things with Black/White, after that I never took a serious interest to the series, even with Pokemon B/W2 released and also X/Y, they just didn't catch nor called my attention anymore. Some months ago I played Pokemon X and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and let me say, I just got bored with this game.

Never in my life I would think that Pokemon is bad, there were no issues with the game, there were no problems when playing it, so what's wrong?, I just don't find Pokemon that appealing to me anymore, is just another product of my childhood that, while I remember dearly, is just not the same, while this may sound typical for me is just the truth, I can't deny that Pokemon is just one of those games where your objective is to beat the league, catch all the Pokemon, be a Pokemon master and there, for my standards now, that sounds incredibly dull due to the lack of motivation I have to actually bother in catching even one.

Maybe is my sense of logic?, I also find some of the recent Digimon games kinda cheesy, again, not because they are bad, but because the dialogue, the way the game plays feels like something I shouldn't play, I feel them too simplistic or monotonous, I just can't find the right motivation to actually go through those games, and the only Digimon game I could proudly play is Digimon Rumble Arena, and that's because is a fighting game based on the first three seasons of the original series.

I think that covers up my experience with childhood games, maybe some of you won't agree with me and that's fine, I can understand that some of you would play games like Pokemon, Digimon or even Monster Rancher (if someone remembers that) without feeling like that, but for me, is just another case, who knows, maybe one of these days I can go play through these games again, but until then, this post expresses my true feelings with some of these beloved games by the community of gaming.

And what about you, do you ever feel "grown up" of a game, or as I would say, it just didn't called your attention again after so long?.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel the opposite way. As I have grown older I have learned to appreciate even more the games I have loved throughout my childhood. I still play them, and still enjoy them. I don't play as much as I did as a child though.

Where I have grown out of gaming is what I see as the gross oversimplification of (mainstream) gaming. I grew up playing games like Exile, Populous, Transport Tycoon and other strategy games. I also played a lot of platformers but they were HARD. More modern games seem to be much too easy and I can't help but cringe when I see kids struggling with one-touch games or really simple strategy games.

I feel these games are pandering to short attention spans: you download a game, it gives you a tutorial so you don't have to spend time working it out, play for a short time until you get bored (which won't be long because the game is so shallow) then move on to something else.

This is what I've grown out of in terms of gaming. I remember playing games that took ages to figure out even the basics; games like Exile which could take months to complete, if you ever managed it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Occasionally. There are certain games and genres I really enjoyed as a kid that I just don't enjoy anymore. That being said, I'm not sick of the medium, it's just that my tastes have developed significantly over time.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've read somewhere (I believe in the book "A theory of fun in game design" by Raph Koster) that games are meant that you grow bored of them after a while. The interesting part is that it isn't a criticism but a feature. And while games obviously have different depths to them (it's easy to grow bored of tic tac toe faster than chess), I can relate to that.

These days, my gaming habits are but a small part after taking care of my girlfriend, the dog, work, social stuff and karate. I still absolutely love it, but I simply cannot spend hours on it anymore. And that reflects itself in the games I play. I would absolutely love more time for games like prison architect, but I'm drawn more to games with a shorter time span.
Genres were also somewhat tied to a period to me. There was a period where I mainly played shooters, other times where I played puzzles or roguelikes. This changing between genres is something I don't see much gamers do (which, to me, is like wine connaisseurs who refuse to taste a wine from out of France: shortsighted and plain out missing out on a lot). But as I grow bored faster of one genre, I remain confident that I'll find other games I will like as well as that this love and patience for said genre (or even particular game) will come back.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I didn't really grow out of games and the vast majority of the games I enjoyed as a kid, I still enjoy now. But I have grown far more busy compared to my childhood, which has really hindered gaming for me and caused me to move more towards portable systems like my 3DS and PSP. I no longer have the breaks like I did in school, I work through the holidays, and there's no such thing as a Summer break for me. I am also always on call, so I don't have time to sit down and invest into games like I used to.
Now this doesn't mean I've grown out of them or bored of them. When I do get long periods of time to game, I do game. I spent most of my medical leave playing Minecraft and SMT4 Apocalypse.

Reactions: VinsCool

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used to love a gba game called rave master as a kid ...nowadays I cant play it anymore . and while many of my friends have long outgrown pokemon and video games altogether . I still play a lot of it these days

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
till love the old games, though on the same rig as in the old days... somehow, on my new rig it looks outdated, while when behind my super nintendo (some call it super famicom) on my old tv it looks brilliant and i still feel like back when i was like 12 years old. but emulated or with a flatscreen tv, no thank you.still wish a lot of my old games (were continued, but thanks to EA) i don't think so. rip blackbox, rip bullfrog...

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
In that sense, Medabots has a poor style and animation, but i still watch it because nostalgia is talking.

The funny thing is that i found some games on my childhood to be pretty boring and dull, and now i still sees it on the same way. I'm wondering if i had "growned up" since i don't feel any different in comparison of those days.

Ikki Barri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In watching my son I think sometimes that one of the greatest things about childhood is the wonder of new experiences. There is such delight in the simplest novelty and mastering of a new task. Perhaps it's something which helps us learn? As I get older, with different priorities, it has become more difficult to find that same sense of new-and-exciting-ness. I've done it before (most it anyway). Also, the things we have going on in life can affect enjoyment. Work is tiring and stressful. Completely switiching off and tuning into something else is more difficult.

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not really i'm now 33 years old still like to play (retro) games.
But all off them, some games what I played as a kid,are now boring.
And I like to more looking for new hardware and software for my home computers (C64/Amiga500/ZX Spectrum) then playing on them.

Some family members thing i'm little to old for those games, but those members are playing Pokemon Go non stop......
But mosly I don't care, if i'm happy that's what count ;)

Reactions: Deleted-379826

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only educational games like reader rabbit and most liscensed kids games (although spongebob games are pretty good). Outside of that than not really although some series i used to be into I do not play due to my schedule.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Animal Crossing is one of those games I feel my schedule says "Hell no!" to. I can play games that have no night/day mechanic because it takes a while for me to play OR I only play at night because of work schedules.

DarkDante

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah feeling like you I played almost all of the Pokemon games until I reach Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 i started to be a little bit bored then on X & Y actually I did not finished it.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
To be honest yes, but not due to boredom --I still (and always will) appreciate games that I loved, and be hyped for upcoming goodies.

It's mostly due to adult life, responsabilities, fulltime job, girlfriend, friends, et cetera.

Don't get me wrong though, when I get a bit of free time, and feel like it, I can easily give a 4-5 hours of gaming session. I really love RPGs and platformers :P

Last edited by VinsCool,
Reactions: DarkDante

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1