Do you actually use 3d Mode?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by kofman13, May 10, 2016.

?

Do you mostly use 3D mode or not?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  3. depends on the game

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  1. kofman13
    OP

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    Got my first 3ds last week ( new 3ds) so im still really fond of the 3d feature. but i do notice that with 3d turned on, sometimes colors are not as vibrant, theres a little bit of a screen door effect sometimes, and a slight flickering a tiny bit more than when it is off. So over all image quality IMO is better with it off, but 3d is so awesome I still use it. But i can i see myself just using 2D in the long run once the novelty wears off
    what do you guys prefer?

2. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    next to never on my o3ds.. because it's too tedious to have to sit still almost at all times. but on my n3ds it's about 50/50 between having 3d off/on.. because the super-stable 3d fixes that issue.

3. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I use an o3DS and I get a headache from the 3D feature. Some games do need the 3D feature to play - I'm looking at you, Kirby Robobot Smash.

I also use an n3DS and the 3D is much better, but I still don't use the damn thing because it honestly gives me a headache.

4. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Never play in 3D (On O3DS and N3DS that is), i try it with new games, just to see how it looks, but once i play i turn it off

5. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    I like to use the 3D but mor eon cutscene or games that we don't tilt much the console xD its on o3DS... if I had a new I think i would use at least playing indoors

6. Scarlet

Scarlet Scarlet Sword

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Maaaaan, on launch day for the original 3DS, I played Nintendogs with 3D on for five hours straight. I had such a headache afterwards, but I was so impressed. Was like looking through a window. Nowadays, I turn it on for cutscenes and the like, since they can actually look quite good.

Zan' likes this.
  7. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    since i do not use it that much i selected No in the poll.

i use it like.. very very seldom.

Note: the n3ds has very good 3d, better than the og.
    but i still do not use it, when i do , i turn it on for a few minutes then i switch it off again.

Last edited by leonmagnus99, May 10, 2016
  8. Zan'

Zan' 2F88744FEED717856386400A44BBA4B9CA62E76A32C715D4F

Oct 8, 2015
    Wait we have a 3S Feature? Whaaaaaat? I dont even use 3d glasses with it Whaaaaaat?

Okay... on my o3DS I always had 3D off because it gave me a headache (literally the worst 3D ever... not working good. Hard on the eyes etc.)
    On my N3DS it really depends. I can't have it on for too long because after a while it feels flickery. But it adapts a lot better, seems smoother and works nicer in general than before.
    But with 3D on i feel like it stutters a little more than without (might just be me) and if you are not playing focussed (as in playing while watching a movie/series or something) the 3D on N3DS feels a little "jumpy" so I turn it off. (I am not focussing that much on it anyway)
    Also I feel like most games don't really make good use out of the 3D effect so it rarely enhances the gameplay at all.
    So I'd rather play smoother without it becoming heavy for my eyes than playing a tiny bit enhanced with stutters and a headache.
    Just turn it on sometimes. For cutscenes and similar.

Also. Smash is literally unplayable competetively with 3D on.

Last edited by Zan', May 10, 2016
  9. kofman13
    OP

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    so far for me it depends on game. im only playing a few games right now. i LOVE it on super mario land 3d. but on mario kart 7 and super smash bros its really distracting

10. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I use it almost all the time. I get annoyed with games dont have 3D.

MichiS97, TheKawaiiDesu and Kartik like this.
  11. fitz420

fitz420 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2006
    United States
    I usually try it when trying a new game, but it gives me a headache pretty quickly. Wish it didn't, cause its pretty cool.

12. keepitoriginal

keepitoriginal Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2016
    United States
    Nah i rarely use it, sometimes i turn it on to see how it looks but i honestly don't use it more than like 5 minutes

13. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I last turned it on for the last two fights in Fire Emblem: if - Conquest. The last time before that was when I first started playing Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, which was a long time ago.

14. ApolloCheese

ApolloCheese GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2008
    Gambia, The
    off the track
    almost never used it on my o3ds but always use it on my n3ds:yay3ds:

15. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    I'd like to request "Sometimes" and/or "Infrequently" be added to the poll. For myself, regardless of the game, I'll occasionally turn it on if I feel like it, but about 90% of the time it stays off because my eyes eventually adjust out of the 3D and I get double images. Also get a lot of double image ghosting on games with dark environments that have bright objects in them.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  16. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    I usually use it all the time, unless I'm in a moving vehicle, in which case it gives me motion sickness. Pokemon X does it too, even without the 3D, but Alpha Sapphire doesn't, what's up with that?

17. rasputin

rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    I find having it on for any length of time makes my eyes play up badly when i finish or look away. It takes me a couple of minutes before i can focus properly again.

18. SwaGoat

SwaGoat GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Greece
    Sometimes the moment calls for the 3d to be turned on,it just can't be helped.
    Old3ds

19. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Nope. To me it adds too little at too high a cost. Games tend to drop framerate. Hell, some games even have a semi-decent AA feature enabled if the 3D is off.

20. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    I use it all the time... Except when the game doesn't have it :^)