Do we need 32 bit OSs anymore?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Flame, Jul 18, 2019.

?
  1. 32 bit

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. 64 bit

64 vote(s)
    94.1%
  1. Flame
    OP

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    thats the point I'm trying to make. im mean if a OS is supported to 2023 or 2099 and its 32bit then yes it should be supported. but new OSs such as Ubuntu 20.04 lets say should not have 32 bit parts. why? cause the same reason we dont need 16 bit parts.

2. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    32-bit will likely stay around forever. A lot of Windows software is still 32-bit only. (A lot of business software may even still be 16-bit, requiring NTVDM.) Linux distributions can drop multilib but software developers could just suggest another one that hasn't (see: Steam and Ubuntu).

In fact, the Mac is the only one to have fully gone 64-bit. macOS has required a 64-bit capable machine since 2011 with 10.7 Lion, but 10.15 Catalina will completely strip out 32-bit program support.

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I already mentioned that in the post you quoted ;)

4. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    That is indeed an old problem at this point and there are numerous solutions available, depending on the specifics. I seem to recall that in the case of Installshield 5, it's just a matter of replacing the setup.exe with the 32-bit version, for instance.

There's this thing called BoxedWine now that is basically DOSBox running Linux running WINE. (It seems like people have always been talking about "We should run WINE under Windows!" but no one ever managed to figure out a better way of doing it.) But I doubt that's the best solution to 16-bit installer problems.

boomerang42 likes this.
  5. bodefuceta

bodefuceta GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2018
    Brazil
    Of course not. I installed the Server version some time ago and that doesn't even have a DE. Had to remove a truckload of stuff because it was an old machine, a lot of stuff made it incredibly slow like snapd and some cloud ring, all Canonical bloatware. I think it had upward of a thousand packages compared to like 300 of more sane DE-less distros.

Ryccardo likes this.
  6. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    yeah so if that is the case i think yes they should drop 32-bit OSes

7. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Addict

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    I know in my home it wouldn't bother me, I do a lot of emulation so if I want to run an old game or something Dos box or a VM will usually do.

You can have your cake and eat it too most of the time when it comes to tech. I think Dinoh touched on the one area where there could be problems, but I imagine if someone had the $$$ to spend on a solution even then you could get around the issue.

8. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    In reality, while people make the security defense in terms of arguing for the continuation of 32-bit OS support, it's really not a good one. Anyone using a desktop, laptop, or server x86 processor that doesn't support 64-bit operating systems is inherently running an insecure machine. Those processors are insecure at a hardware level, and software can only do so much to mitigate that.

This doesn't however mean the same applies to things like ARM chips or other architectures.

Where I stand is simple: I am still entirely in favor of dropping continued support for 32-bit builds (for x86 processors) of desktop operating systems (even if it forces people to stop using dinosaurs, because they shouldn't be) BUT continuing to support 32-bit software applications in the operating systems.

Last edited by Sophie-bear, Jul 19, 2019
  9. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    Seems to me as if dropping 32bit support in Ubuntu has quite a lot of people upset because they're essentially making perfectly fine software not workable without any real good reason.

Sophie-bear likes this.
  10. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Three words: 32bit is useless.

Go for 64bit. I am being with 64bit for a long time. Its better! One day PCSX2 will be force to use 64bit. :)

11. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    And all the legacy software and games that are either abandoned or no longer receiving updates?

Minox likes this.
  12. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Long luce
    Better forgotten or run on a quarantined old PC disconnected from planet earth running windows 95.

13. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    Careful. I was refering to the Win API version commonly known as Win32, but that has nothing to do with the 32 bits arch discussion. I have internal information about MS plans on API because where I work we have heavy dependencies on it. WPF will last a little bit more. Sadly that's all I can tell.

Last edited by Urbanshadow, Jul 19, 2019
    tech3475 likes this.
  14. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    32 bit OSs need to die. But 32 bit software support is still important. I don't know of any 32 bit machine which could run Windows 10. They pretty much all stopped working since W8 since that required CPU features not many 32 bit CPUs have in the first place so Microsoft is keeping 32 bit only around because of crappy tablets with under or max 4GB RAM and 32 bit BIOS.

As for Linux i don't know. Does it even make sense to support such old machines when they could not run any modern browser without running out of RAM in a few minutes?

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If you are making a 32 bit mode (much less one capable of handling drivers) then the question is why not spin it off into a fully fledged OS by itself if it is relatively easy to do so?

As for linux there is more to it all than desktop Linux. Not to mention and my several hundred (usually video) tabs have been coming to you from 4 gigs of RAM (or less) for several years now.

16. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    The topic is a bit of a mess anyway since it’s a mixture of dropping 32bit OS and 32bit binary support (the scenario which prompted this was about the latter).

By 32bit support I meant win32.

17. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Valve just needs to make a 64-bit Steam client. Kind of pathetic they haven't yet.

18. Insane

Insane GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2018
    Germany
    They have not done this because it doesn't make sense. They fit into 4 gig memory and performance wise it will most likely not make a difference for them. So they decided to not do it.

19. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    It's not just the Steam client but games as well.

20. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    I've used a 64bit version of Windows since 2006. I must be honest i'd long since expected Microsoft to drop support for 32bit consumer editions of Windows like they did with Windows Server.

Most 32bit programs work fine on 64bit Windows, so it's not really an issue to me. I have VM's for anything really old I need to run, physical hardware can be passed though to these VM's if required.