Gaming Do we know if Super Mario 3D all stars is run through an emulator?

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys I know it has been a while but this games existence surprised me. I am actually curious if we know yet if Super Mario 3D all stars is run through an emulator or not. I know the answer to this may not be obtainable until the game comes out. I just wanted to post it here beforehand. I am curious if it is some sort of an emulator because that may or may not mean something for homebrew. Any discussion would be great appreciated!

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys I know it has been a while but this games existence surprised me. I am actually curious if we know yet if Super Mario 3D all stars is run through an emulator or not. I know the answer to this may not be obtainable until the game comes out. I just wanted to post it here beforehand. I am curious if it is some sort of an emulator because that may or may not mean something for homebrew. Any discussion would be great appreciated!

All the games from this new release are titles previously released by Nintendo for different consoles. :)

So, responding to your question, yes, you can play each game using 2 different emulators on PC:
- Mario 64 - use Project 64 or Mupen64Plus
- Mario Sunshine - use Dolphin
- Mario Galaxy - use Dolphin​

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is they do not, but we don't know for sure. It might also be a mix where some games do and some don't. I could see Mario 64 being emulated while the others are not, for example.

Reactions: orangy57

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
All the games from this new release are titles previously released by Nintendo for different consoles. :)

So, responding to your question, yes, you can play each game using 2 different emulators on PC:
They were asking if the actual Nintendo release uses emulators on the backend (which we don't know). Not if you can emulate them.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country

You misunderstood what he meant. If the game is using an emulator or is it ported. Emulation may allow injecting another game.

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Souperman9

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They're almost certainly not emulated. A N64 emulator is easy enough, they already have multiple of those. They've never written a GC/Wii emulator before, it'd have to be completely from scratch, and that's a huge undertaking just for 2 games, plus it would have to be very well optimized to run full speed on the Switch, especially Super Mario Galaxy which is notoriously difficult to emulate. When porting the games over would result in a better experience, and better performance. It wouldn't make sense to emulate them. Not unless they're planning to release a lot more GC and Wii games on the Switch. But I think this is most likely the only ones we'll see, besides maybe Skyward Sword which would be perfect on the Switch.
Using an existing emulator to run Galaxy would be easier to do than doing a native port from source code, but there's no definitive way to tell.
Not at all. Some devs have said porting games to the Switch only takes a few weeks. Plus Super Mario Galaxy is nowhere even close to being fullspeed in Dolphin on the Switch, even for Nintendo that would be a difficult task, nevermind having to write a new emulator completely from scratch, and test it thoroughly to make sure both games run perfectly.
And Nintendo are not one to do something halfassed. If it doesn't run properly, they just wouldn't bother.
Twilight Princess HD could very well have been

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's the article from 2 years ago about the emulator on the Shield, and not related to this case - unless, of course, it ends up using the same one. Still, nothing in there has anything to do with 3D All Stars
the guy i quoted linked about Shield release for Chinese

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They've never written a GC/Wii emulator before,
look at my link, digital foundry say that they have

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
the guy i quoted linked about Shield release for Chinese

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

look at my link, digital foundry say that they have
Right, forgot about the emulator on the Shield. But the Shield is about twice as powerful thanks to being clocked so much higher. They can't simply take that emulator and port it to the Switch. It might even be easier to write a new emulator from scratch with the weaker hardware in mind rather than trying to shoehorn in an emulator made for a more powerful system. Even with all the speed improvements to Dolphin over many years it still doesn't run anywhere near fullspeed for Wii games on the Switch. Some easier to run GC games are pretty much fullspeed though.
I don't think anyone even knows if that emulator was written by Nintendo (though it would only make sense)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Souperman9

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not at all. Some devs have said porting games to the Switch only takes a few weeks. Plus Super Mario Galaxy is nowhere even close to being fullspeed in Dolphin on the Switch, even for Nintendo that would be a difficult task, nevermind having to write a new emulator completely from scratch, and test it thoroughly to make sure both games run perfectly.
And Nintendo are not one to do something halfassed. If it doesn't run properly, they just wouldn't bother.
Twilight Princess HD could very well have been
I would normally agree with that, but since the Shield uses the same CPU and runs full speed, it looks like they realistically could.

I guess then it depends on just how big that difference in power is.

Last edited by Souperman9,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I would normally agree with that, but since the Shield uses the same CPU and runs full speed, it looks like they realistically could.
It has about double the raw power, according to someone else on the forum. I don't think the cooling is there for the Switch to run at full X1 speeds or at least the margins are too small for Nintendo to consider it safe, and it could damage the battery (which has apparently happened to at least one person from overclocking)
Those clock speeds might be doable on Mariko, being more efficient, but that would make this a Mariko exclusive title. Which it isn't.

Souperman9

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It has about double the raw power, according to someone else on the forum. I don't think the cooling is there for the Switch to run at full X1 speeds or at least the margins are too small for Nintendo to consider it safe, and it could damage the battery (which has apparently happened to at least one person from overclocking)
Those clock speeds might be doable on Mariko, being more efficient, but that would make this a Mariko exclusive title. Which it isn't.
Still, we don't know how much of that power is actually used.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a strong feeling that 64 and galaxy will be emulated. Nintendo already has emulators for those systems and the fact that Galaxy is on the Nvidia shield would make that a super easy port. Both the Switch and Shield run on an Nvidia Tegra X1 chip (albeit a modified one on the switch). Sunshine I'm not so sure. As soon as I get my hands on the game though, I intend to try and extract files for clues. Not sure where I'm going to start though.

Reactions: Dominator211

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.