do sdhc classes really matter

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by hunter12, Oct 3, 2009.

Oct 3, 2009

do sdhc classes really matter by hunter12 at 9:39 PM (1,294 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. hunter12
    OP

Newcomer hunter12 Newbie

Antarctica
    Hello,

will an average user really recognize if he is using a class2 oder class6 card in his cycloDS?
    I found some class4 and class6 8GB Card and a lot of 16GB class2 Card and only one 16Gb class6 card which costs nearly
    twice as much as the class2 card and this question just came up.

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Higher class is Faster load times and less slowdowns and things like that

I use class4 and never really had much slowdown though

3. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    No, it only influences the write speed, not the read speed.
    So basically if you were putting 1 GB of stuff on a class 2 microSD and it takes 1 minute to do, it would only take 30 seconds on a class 4 microSD. This is negligible for most people unless you like to constantly add new games.

However, the brand of the microSD does determine read speed, and sometimes it's just pure luck that determines how fast your microSD is.

There is a program that can measure how fast a microSD reads, but then again, you'd have to buy the microSD first to use it.

4. hunter12
    OP

Newcomer hunter12 Newbie

Antarctica
    hi, thnx for the replies.
    so when I stick with a transcned TS8GUSDHC6, Sandisk SDSDQY-8192-E11M or Kingston SDC4/8GB (class 4)
    I shouldnt have any hickups?
    One shop says the sandisk is class 4 the other class 6 and their websiste says nothing.
    But like you say it shouldnt hurt when I take a class4 or even a 16GB class 4, it doenst matter if it takes some minutes more to fill that thing

5. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    What matters most is response time. There is the occasional game that requires fast response times or the game won't run properly.....Castlevania PoR is one of the most prominent. It requires a response time of 0.7ms or better so as not to lock up all the time. The fastest microSD I have only has a response time of 0.8ms. And I have many different ones.

If you think class can sometimes be hard to determine, response time is something almost none of the microSD's ever give a spec on. It's something you have to test for yourself, of course at that point, you already bought the microSD. A program called HDtach will test for response time.

Another thing about most microSD's, they tend to read the info faster than they write it. A program I use is called ATTO Benchmark, it will report both read AND write speeds, whereas HDTach does not report write speeds....on the flip side, ATTO does not report response times, which is why I use both to determine all microSD speeds.

THEN, there is a remote possibility that the microSD you buy won't be liked by the CycloDS. I've had this happen first hand. The same exact brand worked for some and not for others......it happens, just be aware of that.

Buying a microSD is a crapshoot. There are recommended brands, but their specs can float from batch to batch and there's always a chance you'll get a defective one, so individual results of any test will vary from unit to unit.

My advice to you is, stick to the popular brands, go with what is recommended and hope that when you get it, it actually works as you hoped.

As for Class, shoot for Class 4 or higher.

6. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    im using an 8gb sandisk class 4 with my m3i zero nd yeah it works pretty well