Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
I always keep the animations off.
Exactly because this game, or should i say series, is a perfect example for gameplay over graphics.
but yeah i agree, i didn't enjoy this game as much as the rest, i still say Gold/Silver are the best
btw, shouldn't a third installment of the newest generation come out?
like; Yellow, Crystal, Emerald?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although it annoys me that Nintendo/Game Freak haven't even tried to do something new with the main series in the past twelve or so years since the first game, at least they are still good games, not something you can say about the endless run of Ubisoft's Petz games.

silverbullet1080

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
They could at least use a new story, rather than using the same garbage over and over again. It's a series, yes, but that doesn't mean it has to be the same thing over and over again. Look at how much better Zelda got from OoT to Windwaker.

Hell, they need a new battle system too, the current one is ass.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
silverbullet1080 said:

Would be nice if you could control the pokemon directly (Move them, press buttons to attack or jump (Up + A, Down + A, Left + A, Right + A for the four main skills, maybe?)).

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
silverbullet1080 said:
Would be nice if you could control the pokemon directly (Move them, press buttons to attack or jump (Up + A, Down + A, Left + A, Right + A for the four main skills, maybe?)).
Not really.

This isn't Smash Bros. Play that if you want such a game.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LOL

That's all I have to say. LOL. Why?

1. You say you've been buying/playing the series since RBY. You play Yellow, you like it. You get Silver. It's kinda more of the same, but you like it. You get Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. It's still more of the same; you start getting tired of the series... but you buy LeafGreen/FireRed. You don't like it. Why the heck did you buy Diamond and Pearl? It's obvious you grew tired of the series. It's your fault you bought a game you don't like, not Nintendo's for not changing the franchise to suit your tastes.
If you dare using the "I wanted to try it to see what's new" argument, think again: you could have waited and read some reviews before buying. They are usually quite accurate and fair.

2. Why should I boicot a game I love? Sure, you may have dispised it, but I love it. Should I follow your commandments or my own, personal view? I wonder... Next time you decide to whine about something you don't like, try not to sound so... childishly blind. You don't have the only word on the matter.

3. Phoenix Wright, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Devil May Cry, GTA, MegaMan, Pro Evolution Soccer, Halo, Madden, the WWE brand, Mario, Zelda... let's boicot them all!

Sure, Nintendo/GameFreaks have been milking the franchise for so many years now... And, obviously, the next game needs some major changes to keep themselves fresh. But, come on... OK all go boycotting Pokemon RPG games!!! ? You sound so mature. Whatever.

D

Deleted User

Joey Ravn said:
LOL

That's all I have to say. LOL. Why?

1. You say you've been buying/playing the series since RBY. You play Yellow, you like it. You get Silver. It's kinda more of the same, but you like it. You get Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. It's still more of the same; you start getting tired of the series... but you buy LeafGreen/FireRed. You don't like it. Why the heck did you buy Diamond and Pearl? It's obvious you grew tired of the series. It's your fault you bought a game you don't like, not Nintendo's for not changing the franchise to suit your tastes.
If you dare using the "I wanted to try it to see what's new" argument, think again: you could have waited and read some reviews before buying. They are usually quite accurate and fair.

2. Why should I boicot a game I love? Sure, you may have dispised it, but I love it. Should I follow your commandments or my own, personal view? I wonder... Next time you decide to whine about something you don't like, try not to sound so... childishly blind. You don't have the only word on the matter.

3. Phoenix Wright, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Devil May Cry, GTA, MegaMan, Pro Evolution Soccer, Halo, Madden, the WWE brand, Mario, Zelda... let's boicot them all!

Sure, Nintendo/GameFreaks have been milking the franchise for so many years now... And, obviously, the next game needs some major changes to keep themselves fresh. But, come on... OK all go boycotting Pokemon RPG games!!! ? You sound so mature. Whatever.

Um, yeah, what he said.

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Urza said:
Law said:
silverbullet1080 said:
Not really.

I wasn't really talking Smash Bros. style, I'm just saying it would be nice if it took a little strategy, instead of just mashing the A button.

D

Deleted User

Law said:
Urza said:
Law said:
silverbullet1080 said:
Not really.

I wasn't really talking Smash Bros. style, I'm just saying it would be nice if it took a little strategy, instead of just mashing the A button.

How is Pokemon mashing the A button???

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Wekker said:
few month ago i brought pokemon diamond, i played it and i do have enjoyed. but it merely a update of the previous version.
the moment i beat the elite four, i knew there were nothing left to be done after that.
I Tl;Dred it here, because if the first sentence is wrong, the rest is likely just as bad.
There's a good 1/8th of the game left after the E4.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
There is nothing wrong with the current Pokemon RPGs. As long as they add fresh new features each generation (Generation IV added WiFi, among many other gameplay enhancements), I will keep coming back. I do not believe in changing the core battle system.

QUOTE said:
Wow. So "controlling the Pokemon directly" involves more strategy and less button mashing than a turn based system?

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
coolbho3000 said:
There is nothing wrong with the current Pokemon RPGs. As long as they add fresh new features each generation (Generation IV added WiFi, among many other gameplay enhancements), I will keep coming back. I do not believe in changing the core battle system.

QUOTE said:
Wow. So "controlling the Pokemon directly" involves more strategy and less button mashing than a turn based system?

When I first had Pokemon Blue I usually put it into my SNES using the Super Gameboy cart, whenever I got into a random battle I usually just hit the Turbo/Auto button on my controller.

All I'm saying is they need to do something to reinvent it.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
When I first had Pokemon Blue I usually put it into my SNES using the Super Gameboy cart, whenever I got into a random battle I usually just hit the Turbo/Auto button on my controller.
Random encounters != whole game

Pokemon Blue != whole series

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Urza said:
Law said:
Random encounters != whole game

Pokemon Blue != whole series

1) I wasn't talking about the whole game, my comment was only directed at the battle system.

2) I never said Pokemon Blue was the whole series, but the battle system has pretty much been the same. Press A button until you've "knocked out" the other pokemon. Get EXP, pokemon gets stronger.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
1) I wasn't talking about the whole game, my comment was only directed at the battle system.
Random encounters != representation of entire battle system

QUOTE2) I never said Pokemon Blue was the whole series, but the battle system has pretty much been the same. Press A button until you've "knocked out" the other pokemon. Get EXP, pokemon gets stronger.
Untrue.

While the basic ideas such as "have 6 pokemon, each have 4 attacks" haven't changed, the mechanics and complexity of the system have increased quite a bit since the first Red/Blue/Green.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
coolbho3000 said:

The main problem I see with Pokémon is the story/plot. It's is the same, game after game. Team Rocket/Magma/Aqua/Galaxy... they are all the same. And the way the plot unfolds in this generation is just a carbon copy of RSE's: bad guys think they have to change the world, awaken a powerful God-like Pokémon, it goes on a rampage, little boy with a pure heart captures/rapes it, bad guys' leader realises his mistakes then flees to Oblivion. Rinse and repeat. At least Team Rocket in RBY was, you know, "original". And it didn't become too repetitive on its direct sequel, GSC.

-The battle system's core? It's great as it is. The typing change this generation was a major overhaul that came like a breeze of fresh air. Totally perfect.

-Adding more pokémon? F***, yes. Of course. Maybe going a bit to the roots, to some designs more... natural and less Digimon-like/spectacular. But keep them coming.

-WiFi? Great improvement. Tweak a bit the GTS so it's not a big piece of steeming-hot BS, but leave the battling/trading as it is.

-Story? Weakest link in the chain. We need something fresh. Something that doesn't involve an evil group of baddies trying to take over the world for no apparent reason. E.g: You are helping professor Idiot with some recently-discovered ruins. Out of the blue, you find an ancient artifact that points to certain key locations. You decide to embark on a journey to solve the mystery of the sacred and ancient teapot. It's just an example, but hey, it's better than generic bad guy #1456 & minions!

-"Boycotting"? I can't say this out loud without giggling.

ZeroEXE93

Trophies
Website
ep.ipbfree.com
XP
Country
United States
This topic made me lol.

Pokemon games are great imo. The story and graphics aren't great but the gameplay/variety of monsters make up for it. And who cares if Nintendo is just trying to make money out of it?

Wekker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hey, why not boycotting? i mean over the 50% people on this board are using flashcart and stuff. so actually those people are doing the same, and i honest think, that pokemon shouldnt get that high reviews point. like 8.5 or something like that. simply the 3.0+ point is because it pokemon, i was watching a video about digimon world ds, the digimon animation and all the stuff are way better and still get 7.5 or lower because it isnt populair. ofcourse we shouldnt compare it with other games. the gameplay self doenst need to be changed, but do add a lot extra's.
and the reason i start this topic is that i do like the very first pokemon game alot. the only downside is that it isnt that exciting to getting another pokemon game, simply all the stuff would be the same with a little bit addons. i think and i know pokemon rpg game (red/silver/ruby blablabla ) on the handheld wont change a lot for another ten years. i am old enough to know what is and what is not good for my wallet. ( not worthy ). and i mention the Dynasty Warriors series too, Koei is cashing too with this populair title. i played the DW3, DW4, and i stopped at DW5 when i realised i was doing the same all the time. when i replay the DW3, i feel i have replayed the same time the DW4 and DW5 and all the other version. and same way as pokemon. and really this wont change much as long the selling rate of pokemon are high. by the way, the story of the pokemon game are very poor. the story keep repeating.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: