Do many people really HATE Apple that much?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well... I was searching the web on some tech news.

Whenever I see an Apple related article there are just so many blot load of comments that Apple SUXXZ or whatever and "fanboys" get fired up.

Do people really hate Apple that much? Personally I love Apple and Android but is there really such need of hate?

I know Apple can be really stubborn (Flash for iOS, expandable storage, restrictions) but I (at least) like their products - to me they last, and their customer service is better than any other company (not the best though). iOS is also simple and easy to navigate . Their products may be pricey, and that is one of the only main things I dislike about them.

I dunno. I really don't get why people are posting these comments. Am I the only person in this world who *likes* Apple products?

Reactions: 1 person

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wouldnt say i hate apple, wouldnt say i care for them either though. always had the impression people build up this hate for them due to the way some people go on about there stuff like its a gift from god and that are no better alternatives

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've used Macs since the early 90's, sometimes more, sometimes less. Always alongside Windows. Now I've got a MacBook Pro 15" and couldn't be happier that I made the purchase in august '10. No real need for the hate, it's usually something not technically related to Apple products but instead the pricing. If people don't have enough money for something, be it a Mac or a new television, they usually end up saying that they would never even need one or even think of buying. Also that the new thing is crap.

This reminds me how people rage and laugh at Apple for making the new iPhone 4S (which had some improvements, not going into wether the improvements are small or big) and say that Apple just makes the same product over and over again. Doesn't every company out there? Kinda like laughing at Samsung for making the Galaxy S-II: "But you guys already made a Galaxy S!".

In other words, I don't understand people. Best part about this is that people defending, for example, a certain OS over another are always referred to as fanboys. Who's to fight over personal preference? "You think wrong! LOL!"

prectorian

Chef Kirby
Trophies
XP
Country
Vanuatu
Doctors hate apple, cause it kept the patients away from them. No patient, No wage.
I hate it too cause I can't afford to buy one. The price tag for Apple products in my country is 2x more expensive than its selling price in the US or JPN.
Not sure why its twice more expensive here. And the price don't come down even after waiting for a year. If only its cheaper, I'll like it...maybe.

Reactions: 3 people

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I don't really hate apple or like them, but It's those people who keep on saying Apple is DA BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPEN TO ME! Or the people who keeps on saying WINDOWS IS BETTER THAN MAC! Is the one I can't stand.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I've used Macs since the early 90's, sometimes more, sometimes less. Always alongside Windows. Now I've got a MacBook Pro 15" and couldn't be happier that I made the purchase in august '10. No real need for the hate, it's usually something not technically related to Apple products but instead the pricing. If people don't have enough money for something, be it a Mac or a new television, they usually end up saying that they would never even need one or even think of buying. Also that the new thing is crap.

This reminds me how people rage and laugh at Apple for making the new iPhone 4S (which had some improvements, not going into wether the improvements are small or big) and say that Apple just makes the same product over and over again. Doesn't every company out there? Kinda like laughing at Samsung for making the Galaxy S-II: "But you guys already made a Galaxy S!".

In other words, I don't understand people. Best part about this is that people defending, for example, a certain OS over another are always referred to as fanboys. Who's to fight over personal preference? "You think wrong! LOL!"

Well, they always have 'logical' backups.

I also remember the time they compared the new iPad to iPad 2, and how inferior it was compared to the Asus Transformer tablet with NT3. Stating how "laidback" Apple technology is. ;)

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to dislike the people who associate with apple more then I dislike apple as a company.

That being said I do hate their business practices (laptops with non removable batteries, treating memory like its the most expensive thing in the world, refusing to support microsd, and overcharging for aesthetics)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
There's a couple reasons.

1. It's often seen as "cool" to hate on something popular. I'd say this is a current trend, but it's not. The subject of what's considered the kind of popular to hate changes though.
  2. People had a bad time with something and have a personal vendetta against it, whether the facts are on their side or not.
  3. Plain old misunderstandings. This is often the case when the people doing the hating simply have their info wrong or grossly out of proportion. I've had people tell me they could get a laptop that's the same thing as a macbook pro for 1/3rd the price... guess how often they're able to actually show me one? I've had people tell me Windows 7 has half the requirements of Vista... guess who never actually looked at the requirements?

Differences get blown way out of proportion in order for people to try to back themselves up on their viewpoint, whether the cause of that view is number one or number 2.
  4. Wanting to appear "in the know", so they bash on stuff they see other people bashing on in an attempt to look like they fit in with "the smart crowd". This is sort of a tag-on to number three, where people who decry (insert subject here) get emulated by others... Unfortunately in many cases it's that the people who are proclaiming something sucks the loudest aren't the people with their info straight, so in an attempt to emulate "the smart guys", people will go around repeating total bullshit.

See many of the absolutely retarded claims made against Vista early in it's life for examples. I've had people tell me that files made on Vista couldn't be read on XP, that Vista includes microsoft keyloggers, and even this little gem.
    Vista was set by China who puts hacked codes and hack anyone who have Vista. That why Im very against it.
    I know Vista's not the best OS, but it's another of the situations (like Apple) where total bullshit spreads like wildfire.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I tend to dislike the people who associate with apple more then I dislike apple as a company.

That being said I do hate their business practices (laptops with non removable batteries, treating memory like its the most expensive thing in the world, refusing to support microsd, and overcharging for aesthetics)
I'm with you for this one. I like Apple as a company which builds stylish and durable products (to me), but people associated? I don't really care much. Their business practices are another main reason of my dislike, but that's largely it - and the prices of course. Other than the iPad, I find many other Apple products very expensive.

Speaking of which, prices of Apple products (maybe electronics as a whole even) have soared over the past few years. I dunno why, maybe cux of money rates but the first iPad which launched about SGD40 lesser than Japan - compare that with iPad 3 - same launch price (16GB, WiFi) and SGD30 more expensive (64GB, WiFi).

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My main reason for disliking Apple products is their tendency to be locked down (especially true for iOS products, obviously not so much for Macs) and rather expensive (not necessarily expensive for what they are, but still expensive - I'm fine with "inferior" products at a much lower price). Although I do recognise that they put a lot of effort into making their software simple and easy to use, and know several people lacking in technological expertise who can use an iPhone or whatever with ease. And generally speaking, their hardware seems to be pretty sound as well.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Apple is an overly-aggressive and self-righteous company. They chase anyone who releases something even remotely similar to their hardware like dogs while at the same time they "borrow" ideas from their competition, they had the gut to belittle Intel in the age of Pentium II and look at them now - a few years later when they realized that they can't fit any more obsolete G cores, they released a campaign to welcome the Intel processors on Mac's. They praise their system for being safe while in fact it's just that nobody gives a sh*t about it. They're the only company who thinks that it's possible to patent a black rectangle. The only company that thinks abstract ideas like "icon" can be intellectual property. They sell obsolete hardware for more than it's worth and they release corporate spyware such as iTunes just to make the life of their customers more annoying. They're also the only company which tried to convince people that their product is totally not an mp3 player. "It's an iPOD!". Do I hate them? I pity them and their customers. Enjoy your system stability. No thanks to Apple, thanks to UNIX. You know, because Android is stolen technology that deserves to be destroyed because it's based on Linux, MacOS isn't because it's based on UNIX. Hypocrites.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Their Apple vs PC ads were extremely polarizing and insulting. There is an air of superiority that is heaped upon the brand, and the fragmentation of non-Apple hardware creates a smaller tent of Android/PC/Xbox supporters apposed to one united Apple front.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Apple is an overly-aggressive and self-righteous company. They chase anyone who releases something even remotely similar to their hardware like dogs while at the same time they "borrow" ideas from their competition, they had the gut to belittle Intel in the age of Pentium II and look at them now - a few years later when they realized that they can't fit any more obsolete G cores, they released a campaign to welcome the Intel processors on Mac's. They praise their system for being safe while in fact it's just that nobody gives a sh*t about it. They're the only company who thinks that it's possible to patent a black rectangle. The only company that thinks abstract ideas like "icon" can be intellectual property. They sell obsolete hardware for more than it's worth and they release corporate spyware such as iTunes just to make the life of their customers more annoying. They're also the only company which tried to convince people that their product is totally not an mp3 player. "It's an iPOD!". Do I hate them? I pity them and their customers. Enjoy your system stability. No thanks to Apple, thanks to UNIX. You know, because Android is stolen technology that deserves to be destroyed because it's based on Linux, MacOS isn't because it's based on UNIX. Hypocrites.
You sound like you pity everything created in this world.

Still, I get your point. I have nothing to say because I don't study so in-depth about their company/work system etc. Plus I actually like their products, another reason why I have nothing to say.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
It's quite simple really:
  • Overpriced for what you get - I guarantee you can build a machine equivalent to a Mac's spec for at least £300 less.
  • The fact that they copyright everything. As Foxi said, they seem to think they can claim ownership to a black rectangle.
  • Oversimplified OS. Fine for people who haven't a clue what they're doing, hell you could give a Mac to a 3 year-old, have him click randomly and you wouldn't have broken a thing. Only problem is for people who do know what they're doing is that you are extremely limited with what you can do with the technology. You can only do what Apple wants you to do.
  • The way they state their Macs are 'virus free'. No, they've not. And they never will be. The only reason you don't get viruses is because people who want to infect your PC are going to go for the bigger audience (and thus more profit), i.e Windows.
  • Stupid things like the 'genius bar'. I bet 90% of the people at them desks can't do a thing that requires more than pressing 'rest to default'.
  • The way they act as if everything they invent is going to be the next big thing and push it onto every single user to ensure that it is.
  • The way they manipulate 'normal' non-techy people into buying their products.
  • Then having people who think they know things about tech going on about how the iPhone is superior to everything and how his Mac (that he payed £ridiculous for) is faster than my PC.

finkmac

Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's quite simple really:
  • Overpriced for what you get - I guarantee you can build a machine equivalent to a Mac's spec for at least £300 less. Yeah, you can BUILD a machine with equivalent SPECS
  • The fact that they copyright everything. As Foxi said, they seem to think they can claim ownership to a black rectangle. Every company copyrights everything. I think you mean PATENT.
  • Oversimplified OS. Fine for people who haven't a clue what they're doing, hell you could give a Mac to a 3 year-old, have him click randomly and you wouldn't have broken a thing. Only problem is for people who do know what they're doing is that you are extremely limited with what you can do with the technology. You can only do what Apple wants you to do. This again? Seriously? It's been over 30 years, and people keep saying this. I use Mac OS X and Windows. Mac OS X has a cleaner UI, while Windows is quite convoluted.
  • The way they state their Macs are 'virus free'. No, they've not. And they never will be. The only reason you don't get viruses is because people who want to infect your PC are going to go for the bigger audience (and thus more profit), i.e Windows. They are Virus free. Malware, now that's a different story.
  • Stupid things like the 'genius bar'. I bet 90% of the people at them desks can't do a thing that requires more than pressing 'rest to default'. I bet you haven't used a geniues bar. (disclaimer, I haven't.) Besides, it's meant for people who have no idea what they are doing.
  • The way they act as if everything they invent is going to be the next big thing and push it onto every single user to ensure that it is. Which is better, acting like everything they "invent" is going to be a minor thing, or the next big thing?
  • The way they manipulate 'normal' non-techy people into buying their products. Lolwut?
  • Then having people who think they know things about tech going on about how the iPhone is superior to everything and how his Mac (that he payed £ridiculous for) is faster than my PC. That isn't Apple, that is someone that would probably do the same thing If he owned a Windows Phone.

Maybe this'll clear up what most people think about Apple: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple
What is this... I don't even...

pubert09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe this'll clear up what most people think about Apple: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple
This is how I feel. I haven't experienced it, but I feel like they revise and release new products TOO often.
I would like big changes, like the new iPod nano that added a touch screen and made it super tiny or multiple changes instead of making a new iPhone with better resolution, then making another new one that's thinner, then making ANOTHER new one with a better camera Now I know this literally hasn't happened. It's just what it feels like. I feel the changes between multiple revisions could have waited until they make one big revision.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't think their computers, phones, or iPods are really that good but the iPad is kinda nice. It may just be an "oversized iPod" but it's still a bit sleeker than most of the competition.

I just don't like Apple for their dirty marketing. They don't fetch fans like a company like Nintendo or Sony, who sell their products to be products. People become Nintendo fans or Sony fans because they enjoy what they offer, whether it's Mario or Nathan Drake or whatever it is. Apple sells their products as a status icon. If you have the Apple array then you're hip, you're high class, you're cultured, you're cool. People buy into this and with that comes intense brand loyalty. Apple advertise as "the best of the best", even when their not, and when you believe that, you'll defend it (or make a point of it) until death. They'll refuse to use Windows, saying it's terrible, they'll think Android is shit, and they just won't accept anything outside of the Apple realm.

There's also the giant "mobile billboards" thing as I call it. You see a kid with a 3DS or a Vita and it looks like a 3DS or Vita. Unless you're semi-knowledgeable in this area, you won't think twice about it. But every Apple product has a giant Apple logo that's prominent and dominant in the product design. Even the cases for the things will either A) have a giant hole so the logo is visible or B) be thin enough so that the logo is completely present. It's so people know you have Apple and that you like Apple.

It's just infamous marketing tactics that seem to be more of an indoctrination or brainwashing into brand loyalty than most other companies who advertise to appeal to your interests, not to appeal to your status.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies